Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Seal status

Default Seal status

Ok all you local Dee fishers. What is the seal status at present. Seen all the earlier comments and the statement from Ross Macdonald in his Fish Dee report a few weeks back - but why are still no fish being caught (apart from 1 at M Drum) from LCWD downstream ??

For example, have Park's pools been effected by the big flood, such that there are not the desirable lies for running springers to rest in, or are we seeing a change in salmon running speed due to warmer water etc ??? But I guess last weeks water would have been snowmelt, so not THAT warm ???

Or is it down to those loveable (?), whiskery, smelly blobs setting up home somewhere far from their sea ??

I am up there later next week and would dearly love to have a better feel for why the beats further upstream are catching, but lower beats aren't ???

TL
    Nick

Very latest as have just checked.

Seals last seen an Tilbouries 3 weeks ago and Upper Drum 2 weeks ago.

I suspect warmer water is letting the fish run freely been hovering around 4-5 degrees for the past week so barely an impediment.

Park has had a lot of damage done, bloody shame.

Kelts starting to build up at Tilbouries which further suggests lack of seal presence there.

Tight lines
    Last edited by westie4566; 13-03-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    Eminem, Stockybasher and Reeboker like this.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Many thanks Westie

Thought some other readers may have wanted to add something - its strange what generates the interest on this forum !! I expect an Indy 2 thread will do at least a 100 pages in a few weeks time !!

Best
    Nick
    Eminem, mows, DrPatrickT and 1 others like this.

Don't spring /early fish motor hard and fast into the mid/upper Dee usually?
    Stockybasher and westie4566 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem View Post
    In more recent times definitely.

I suspect that this may have something to do with a succession of very mild winters.

Certainly low, cold spring conditions seemed to slow them up a bit in the past.
    Eminem, Stockybasher and Reeboker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem View Post
    Em

I tend to agree with Westie's comment to your post - in my 20-ish years of Dee experience, for me it has only been the last 4/5 years that they have "motored" through ! I'm not Seeking so I haven't modelled the air / water temperature / flow variables (wouldn't know where to get the data, nor how to model it !!). Just observation and experience

Of interest to me as a long-term Park fisher, is that LCWD seems to be the beat now to produce a good catch of early fish - Park was that beat until 4/5 years ago ??

A year or 2 back there were seals camped on Park's shingle, you could smell their cr*p from yards away, and everything shot through or just got pushed further upstream faster than normal, and this early run now seems to have become the norm.

I intend to take the first March fish there next week, but frankly hope someone else beats me to it

TL
    Nick
    Eminem, DrPatrickT and MCXFisher like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stockybasher View Post
    Em

I tend to agree with Westie's comment to your post - in my 20-ish years of Dee experience, for me it has only been the last 4/5 years that they have "motored" through ! I'm not Seeking so I haven't modelled the air / water temperature / flow variables (wouldn't know where to get the data, nor how to model it !!). Just observation and experience

Of interest to me as a long-term Park fisher, is that LCWD seems to be the beat now to produce a good catch of early fish - Park was that beat until 4/5 years ago ??

A year or 2 back there were seals camped on Park's shingle, you could smell their cr*p from yards away, and everything shot through or just got pushed further upstream faster than normal, and this early run now seems to have become the norm.

I intend to take the first March fish there next week, but frankly hope someone else beats me to it

TL
    Nick
    If I recall correctly, winter 2010/2011 was our last properly cold winter and I think Park had 60 odd fish in February. The year after was mild in early winter then turned cold from March on, Park dropped to 30 odd over February and March. Since then winter temps have risen, fish numbers have dropped off and we've had seals and Storm Frank. Almost a 'perfect storm' for the Lower River.

We defo need some decent cold winters again to see if that helps in anyway.

Never mind, back on the Dee on Thursday.....am still trying hard to get Tilbouries off the mark!
    MCXFisher likes this.

Westie,

have a look at these weather maps, specifically the last 15 years:

1. Showing average spring temperatures against the long run average - mostly above

2. Spring precipitation - mostly below

If the links don't take you directly to the map groups, select 'spring' and either 'average temperature' or 'rainfall'

What it suggests is that for most of the previous decade the Dee catchment had warm dry springs.
    Michael
    Hidden Content

Please support the Ure Salmon Run Bike Challenge - donate via Hidden Content

Maybe if we get independence we will be allowed to do something about the seals, yeah right.

How far is tillbouries from tidal water ?

Quote Originally Posted by midgydug View Post
    Maybe if we get independence we will be allowed to do something about the seals, yeah right.

How far is tillbouries from tidal water ?
    Roughly 8 miles as the crow flies....and they're protected.

That won't be an independence issue I'm afraid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast