Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  34
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seal status

Oh dear.

Only two fish reported off the whole river today!

The Dee's been fishing nae to bad until today.....hope this is just a blip!!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

We had a discussion on here about seals not so long ago. Salmon cant know they are there when they run and unless they see them in say 3 foot visibility they won't know they are there when they pause up in a pool. They are not psychic nor do that have a chat with each other on the way up 'Watch out mate, there is a seal waiting up behind that rock'.

Much more convinced by other drivers - temp, water etc. Until it comes to kelts.. if the water has been low, would the kelts not move out to sea more slowly and therefore wait in pools and be taken by Sammy? That would possibly encourage fresh fish to run on, they do like an old 'un to cosy up to.

We seem to have a lot of research, discussion and pontification about smolts, parr and fish. Very little on kelts. I do wonder if more research and debate about them would be helpful in understanding. We know from Canadian research they hold up in estuary's a while and smolts make travel companions with them, learning routes to feeding. If we knew more about that, for example it might help.

A few have been arguing this, and talking about changing 'running' times of kelts on the Wye for some years, for example, but the interest only seems to be with the silver and little spotty ones.
    Last edited by Dryfly; 21-03-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
    We had a discussion on here about seals not so long ago. Salmon cant know they are there when they run and unless they see them in say 3 foot visibility they won't know they are there when they pause up in a pool. They are not psychic nor do that have a chat with each other on the way up 'Watch out mate, there is a seal waiting up behind that rock'.

Much more convinced by other drivers - temp, water etc. Until it comes to kelts.. if the water has been low, would the kelts not move out to sea more slowly and therefore wait in pools and be taken by Sammy? That would possibly encourage fresh fish to run on, they do like an old 'un to cosy up to.

We seem to have a lot of research, discussion and pontification about smolts, parr and fish. Very little on kelts. I do wonder if more research and debate about them would be helpful in understanding. We know from Canadian research they hold up in estuary's a while and smolts make travel companions with them, learning routes to feeding. If we knew more about that, for example it might help.

A few have been arguing this, and talking about changing 'running' times of kelts on the Wye for some years, for example, but the interest only seems to be with the silver and little spotty ones.
    I've been told on a couple of occasions that seal scat in a pool taints the water and any fish entering the pool will keep on going.

Don't know whether this is fact or fiction though!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    I've been told on a couple of occasions that seal scat in a pool taints the water and any fish entering the pool will keep on going.

Don't know whether this is fact or fiction though!
    That could be a distinct possibility!
    Their sense of smell must be many times more acute than ours.

A true story regarding smells: A colleague of mine many years ago had serious issues with cats in his garden and no amount of off the shelf propitiatory tricks would deter them. Until he managed a few bags of Lion dung from a friend who worked at Edinburgh Zoo. No issues after that for a long time until the odour dissipated with the weather/rain etc.

Now I'm not saying throw in a bucket load of lions dung to chase the seals away, but..................

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post

A true story regarding smells: A colleague of mine many years ago had serious issues with cats in his garden and no amount of off the shelf propitiatory tricks would deter them. Until he managed a few bags of Lion dung from a friend who worked at Edinburgh Zoo. No issues after that for a long time until the odour dissipated with the weather/rain etc.

Now I'm not saying throw in a bucket load of lions dung to chase the seals away, but..................
    Now if only there was some way of collecting Orca poo!

seals got no sense of smell underwater, are they allowed to use seal scarers like on the ythan?

Seal Hatchery ?

I was sitting watching TV last night and saw a very interesting broadcast about actually improving and increasing seal numbers. Apparently one simply opens up a few packets of McVities choccy treats and hey presto four cute seal pups emerge to plague our good rivers !!!!!

There are 44 rods available on the river today. That number rises to.......66 on Monday. We can have little idea as to the true state of things with that many available. There are 56 available on the first Monday in May.
    A few years ago there wouldn't have been anything.
    Our sympathies must go to the ghillies, pubs hotels etc. It must be dire, can you imagine being on a beat with no rods sold.
    Prices must come down significantly very shortly I reckon. Until they get more fish on the books then the rods will continue to remain unsold.

Default Don't be fooled!

Despite some beats showing rods unsold, there ARE people fishing, and often these are very competent fishers. And they're still not scoring too well.
    Just cause it shows all rods available certainly doesn't mean you will have the beat to yourself.........
    In the moment, of the meantime.......

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post

Lion poo certainly works and is readily available
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Roar.../dp/B0002B7OT2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast