Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  79
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: Daft Spey Rule

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    4,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seeking View Post
    Sorry Tam. Not having that.




    I’m going to make an observation here, westie4566. It’s going to be based on fact and observation, as ever, and I won’t be surprised if rather than addressing the points therein, you chose to take a few pot shots and slag me off. C’est la vie.

    Firstly the precautionary principle is bunk in this case. We have enough hard data to show (and the N Esk is of course critical to this hence some want it closed down) that you can chap many times the rod catch and not make a dent.

    I understand that you have chosen to say all that. I understand why you are urging restraint and for us anglers to put up with not harvesting fish for a few years till we can see how we go. I am sorry to say it but that failed experiment started on the Dee and it remains in force. Not only that but because of poor science leadership (the inability to monitor and evaluate the failed experiments and stand up to the crowd, as noted before on this thread) and lobbying by various groups purporting to represent, but not really representing, anglers interests, it has been rolled out countrywide.

    This has actually stopped anglers fishing in many cases. It has disenfranchised whole swathes of the angling community. Angling effort is down, just like it was post the EA experiment (and it never recovered).

    Now in your fishing environment that may suit you well. Good luck to you. You may not want “invaders” fishing “your” rivers. You may want easier Spey (and other!) lets now the “dead men” have shuffled off anyway (before they died) because of bonkers regulations. Good luck to you again. But please respect others’ rights to choose and be miffed.

    Over time you have been very defensive of the SCS and particularly the man who said “We are all killing too many fish”. As I recall when he later tried to foist compulsory catch and release on the Angus Esks, you appeared supportive of that too.

    So am I right to assume that you supported anglers being deprived of the ability to harvest a very sustainable tasty organic treat of a N Esk salmon whilst at the very same time, his pals were making money from selling thousands and thousands of wild netted salmon from the N Esk (not Usan's of course!)?

    If correct, I am sure I am not the only one who finds this a bit of a conflicted position.

    However it leads onto Roag Fisher’s point:




    Indeed. The simple answer is we were effectively sold a lie. No one wanted to hear what Shearer et. al. had to say. They all ignored it. Instead the mantra was that netting was bad, and in reality the data doesn’t show that, not for fixed engines or N&C, careful analysis of the data (i.e. not what ICES PFA estimates are) shows that, but of course, what better way to lead public policy than the baying of a crowd who believes data is bunk
    Evening Seeking

    Nope, I'll leave the pot shots and slagging to your good self.

    As anyone who actually knows me will tell you, I'm generally a good natured old ****** who does love a good laugh and wind up on the riverbank. So when I say in a reply that I'm having a laugh with you....I actually am.

    Really not in the 'head space' for lengthy reply right now, however will answer a few points.

    The Dee and restraint, you claim as a failed experiment. Well neither you nor I know that is the case. Neither of us know what would have happened to stocks had fish continued to be chapped willy nilly.

    As for anglers leaving the sport because they cannot take a fish. My thoughts on that would be that if they're leaving for that reason, just how many fish were they actually taking?? Don't get me wrong. For the first few years of C&R on the Dee I had a right humph...then realised that it didn't actually bother me at all. I will say that again I did get the humph again when we had the mandatory spring C&R on the Esks for 5 years....when one month of that included the nets killing fish. Hardly a fair scenario.

    Each to their own. One chooses to fish where one fishes and for whatever reasons.

    One point you made that does p*** me right off is your snide insinuations about Esk Board members. Yup, you and I both know that you can throw that in and many readers will believe it...yet it's a point that you are perfectly well aware of...so you're being disingenuous yet again. Despite me pulling you up on this matter before.

    So, here goes again.

    Board members are made up of interested parties. Prior to the Pullars misdemeanors, they were represented on the Board. That does not mean that everyone was 'pals'.

    Yes a.n. other helps sell the Nab catches...doesn't make him 'best pals' with the rest of the Board.

    Whilst you've been busy sniping and trying to score points against anyone in the 'SCS' camp.....they and Board members quietly spent a few years negotiating the buy out of the Nab nets, which they achieved. This year will be the last of said operation. Will be interesting to see the Logie counts thereafter. The cost of said buyout has been paid for by all proprietors, including our club, by way of increased levy.

    Whilst we're at it, your 'paragon of virtue', the Northie hardly had an astounding run last year. Just circa 10k fish and far cry from the 19k a few seasons ago. The counts did confirm the general scenario elsewhere. ****** all of a back end run. Main month was July.....however goodness only knows where those fish were hiding themselves!!0

    All the best

    Andy
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    I'm still a Spey virgin. I would like to put that right soon but I'm having a tediously liberal moral dilemma about it at the moment.
    I suggest you bite the bullet, some great fishing at the moment. Not only that, it is cheap and available......for how much longer I wonder?

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ness Glen View Post
    I suggest you bite the bullet, some great fishing at the moment. Not only that, it is cheap and available......for how much longer I wonder?
    Ever considered a career in sales , B ?
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

  4. #44

    Default

    No point letting this daft thread go to waste B - don't they say there is no such thing as bad publicity? I can hardly wait for Saturday to be honest.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    4,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ness Glen View Post
    No point letting this daft thread go to waste B - don't they say there is no such thing as bad publicity? I can hardly wait for Saturday to be honest.
    Now will ye hush up about the bargain Spey fishing available at present NG!!!

    We dinnae want all the Sassenachs booking it all up.

    Tight lines for Saturday.I was mightily impressed with what I saw kicking about on the Spey last Sat.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    central Scotland
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    Now will ye hush up about the bargain Spey fishing available at present NG!!!

    We dinnae want all the Sassenachs booking it all up.

    Tight lines for Saturday.I was mightily impressed with what I saw kicking about on the Spey last Sat.

    Shhhhhh! 🙊😉😎

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •