Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By MCXFisher
  • 1 Post By simon grace
  • 1 Post By MCXFisher
  • 15 Post By Springer

Thread: Casting instructor North Yorkshire

Default Casting instructor North Yorkshire

looking for a casting instructor in North Yorkshire not to far from east Coast preferred I live in Scarborough . Double handed and single handed ideally. Who do you guys recommend that isn't a four hour drive away?

Andy
    Last edited by coasty; 23-02-2017 at 02:07 PM.
    Visit my blog at Hidden Content

The easiest option is Brian Towers - Yorkshire Fly Casting - who operates primarily on the Ure but may well come further in your direction. He is a thoroughly nice chap, very personable and good at his job.
    Salmogord likes this.

About me

he's a guy that used to be on here.In the good old days of the SFF
    Last edited by simon grace; 23-02-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    Springer likes this.
    Piscator Non Solum Piscatur

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    About me

he's a guy that used to be on here.In the good old days of the SFF
    Simon,

unfortunately he is currently seriously disabled by injury and unable to instruct. I tried to book a lesson with him on my way up to the Tweed. My recommendation above was made in that knowledge.
    simon grace likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    The easiest option is Brian Towers - Yorkshire Fly Casting - who operates primarily on the Ure but may well come further in your direction. He is a thoroughly nice chap, very personable and good at his job.
    Sounds good , should have thought of him . I fish the Ure so could meet up with him there .

Cheers

Andy
    Visit my blog at Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    Simon,

unfortunately he is currently seriously disabled by injury and unable to instruct.
    Does anybody know the problem Alan has?
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

Quote Originally Posted by gwelsher View Post
    Does anybody know the problem Alan has?
    I have struggled for almost 3yrs now with lower back problems Gary which aren't getting any better. I have been through the system from pain relief to physio to surgery without any success.

I can walk around fine every day and wouldn't consider myself seriously disabled by any means. I have pain every day but to varying degrees and my mobility is better some days than others.

Its difficult with the teaching because the river bank isn't a great place for me to be at the minute, Im not able to move as quickly as I have been so the risk of a slip or fall that could cause me further problems is there. I also found that in the last couple of years there would be days when a lesson had to be cancelled because I wasn't in as good a shape as I felt I needed to be. Add to that a shoulder surgery last April that went badly wrong and left me with maybe 50% movement in my right shoulder for most of last year and it lead me to the decision it was best to no offer and lessons until Im better. My shoulder is now up to 90% so that problem has all but gone now.

I have also been focusing more and more on my other business of building custom rifles.

https://www.facebook.com/alanmaughancustom/

A workshop environment is far easier for me to remain productive with relatively less movement and if I get pain I can always sit down and rest or take time off as needed.

Because I wasn't physically comfortable on the river it was always going to be hard for me to keep up-to-date with everything thats was going on. It also became clear I didn't want to sit forever at a desk managing this forum when I wasn't doing it in the real world, this was a major reason why I sold SFF and moved in another direction.

Im far from dead and I will teach again as/when Im ready but not to the extent I used to.
    Last edited by Springer; 15-03-2017 at 08:54 AM.