Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 17 Hornet

Default 17 Hornet

Anyone using the above? I fancy one for long range rabbit and for any fox that happens to present himself within 150m. Always liked the CZ American style for out in the field use and am thinking of the 527 in that style.

Quote Originally Posted by beanieboy View Post
    Anyone using the above? I fancy one for long range rabbit and for any fox that happens to present himself within 150m. Always liked the CZ American style for out in the field use and am thinking of the 527 in that style.
    We have been shooting the 17 hornet since it first came out. Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter Thumbhole Laminate. Absolutely devastating little round. 3600 fps on Hornady 20g V Max.

In terms of usability its quite niche I would say. The thing that attracted me to it is our permission being farmed Estate with lots of smaller stone walled fields. Very few big open spaces you get on other areas of the UK. A long shot for me would be 150M with most being under 100m. We also have a fair few small communities and houses surround the estate so letting go with the .243 or even the 22.250 would be problematic. 17 Hornet was the right choice for the land we shoot on and the environment around it.

I think if you were to use it on these huge open stubble fields with a wind you would struggle a bit over 100 yards (depending on conditions of course) and a larger center fire caliber would be my choice. However its perfect for us on smaller, confined spaces where sound is a factor.

We shoot between 30 and 40 foxes a year all with the 17 Hornet and all with night vision. This was a big problem when the rifle arrived as there was not a suitable 1 piece rail to which to mount the Night Vision. (Pulsar N750). If you are attaching night vision make sure there is a suitable rail available for the CZ. I ended up having one custom machined for the Savage.

There is generally very little damage to the Fox when shot and rarely an exit wound. We have picked up shot foxes and struggled to even find where it was hit. They go down tail in the air most times and could count on one hand the runners in 3 years of shooting it.

We have few bunnies and the ones we do have we leave well alone to try and build numbers up. Im sure it would be very proficient at taking them down but would likely explode a few!!
    FISH ON!!! FISH OFF!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beanieboy View Post
    It might be worthwhile looking at the .22 WMR, winchester magnum rimfire as well. Fires a bullet more than twice the weight of the .17 and although not as high velocity, is much less affected by winds.
    I have used both and the WMR would be my personal choice, but as I say, worth considering.
    Last edited by heather point; 03-03-2017 at 09:50 AM.

I've had one for a couple of years now and absolutely love it. Big bonus that you can reload for it aswell.

Went with a nice new 223 CZ527. Going to try lighter loads [40g] to see how they go. Heard nothing but good things about the 17 Hornet though.

Have a cz527 formerly 22 hornet with lothar walther 17 hornet barrel. I use it mainly for long grey crows and magpies. I shot 13 foxes with it last year as well without any problems. A great step up in performance from hmr/wmr or 22 hornet. Wind drift in 10 mph at 100 yards is only 1.3 inches or 5.6 at 200 yards. This is with hornady 20 grain v max. 22 magnum on the other hand will not get wind drift below 4 inches at 100 yards in 10mph cross wind.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk