Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Mega farm plan

Default Mega farm plan

Last edited by JACK POWER; 06-02-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Absolutley disgusting for sepa to be even contemplating it is a disgrace itself

Agreed Auldsalmon, this is the body who are supposed to ensure that nothing adverse at all happens to the Scottish environment. Guess they're happy at enforcing an old lady's boiler failing emissions, but when they actually have to stand up and fight a multi-national, as usual it's head in the sand time.
    Has anyone heard if SANA (angling's governing body) has made any representation to stop this?

Did you know that 46,000 tonnes of fresh Scottish Salmon was exported via Heathrow in the last 12 months!!
    That's just Heathrow.
    Did you know that UK exports of whole, fresh Scottish Salmon totalled 83,500 tonnes heading to over 50different countries.
    I don't agree with what goes on any more than the next man but with the jobs, money and the spin off's (local businesses who rely on the Salmon farming industry) involved Salmon Farming is here to stay and it's going to get bigger and bigger.
    It ain't pretty but it's fact!
    Piscator Non Solum Piscatur

Simon, maybe salmon farming is here to stay - maybe not, but I still am stunned that both SEPA and the Scottish Government not only turn a blind eye to, but are actively encouraging the destruction of an ecosystem. Using figures of exports is neither here nor there.
    The Scotch whisky industry is the biggest exporter Scotland has, with exports annually in excess of £4 billion. Exports of farmed salmon are only a fraction of this.
    SEPA has imposed (and actively monitors) all discharges of effluent from distilleries to the environment and in fact the whisky industry in it's entirety has spent £ hundreds of millions in effluent treatment over the last decade or so.

The crux of the matter is that if salmon farming is here to stay, as it most likely is in one form or another, it should be treated like any other industry and forced to ensure that it's operations have negligible environmental impact (if at all).
    If that means moving to closed containment or offshore then so be it. I see both alternatives have been discussed previously, so no need to go over old ground.

Sepa had been intending to prevent salmon farmers from using emamectin to kill sea lice in 2018, but dropped the idea when the Scottish Salmon Producers’ Organisation (SSPO) warned that it would “undermine commercial confidence in the industry”.

Good old SEPA, protecting the environment as it should. I believe this was only outed by a freedom of information request. Quite a bit going on in the background,I believe, to try to bring this sort of nonsense to an end.

Thanks for sharing Innes, and I agree - a clear indication of the double standards that SEPA seem to live by.

Although I've posed the question a couple of times now as to what our governing body SANA is doing about this I see nobody has commented as yet. I take it that SANA is not prepared to tackle the issue either?

Default SANA who'se them.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenboig View Post
    Thanks for sharing Innes, and I agree - a clear indication of the double standards that SEPA seem to live by.

Although I've posed the question a couple of times now as to what our governing body SANA is doing about this I see nobody has commented as yet. I take it that SANA is not prepared to tackle the issue either?
    I haven't heard anything of SANA for years. If they're still going they're completely invisible as an organisation as far as I can see. Time was they seemed quite active and interested, but not now..Where were they through the WFR, CAT3 fiasco and possible rod licience imposition? Probably on the same side as MSS.

Anyone waiting for SANA to show some leadership better have plenty of time.

Z