Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Richardgw
  • 4 Post By Rosslinden0
  • 1 Post By Rosslinden0

Thread: Lead weight moulds

Default Lead weight moulds

Im looking for help in finding moulds for weights , looking for something that can be inserted into 12.5mm dia tubing .

Cheers

A mould will cost you around £20.00. Then you need a hefty torch and a melting ladle.
    It's cheaper to buy ready-made unless you're planning on making 100's.

I don't know how good your DIY skills are, but it might be worth having a look at this excellent thread from a few years ago about making your own moulds.

How to make a Weight Mould

Quote Originally Posted by rm100 View Post
    Im looking for help in finding moulds for weights , looking for something that can be inserted into 12.5mm dia tubing .

Cheers
    The best moulds I have come across are made by Do-It, might be worth checking their website to see if they make what your looking for.

Mikh

Cheers
    My mate uses a piece of tubular aluminium of the required diameter cut in half to produce these and it doesn’t take him long to make a good stock.

Clamp mould halves together, insert wire and pour the lead. Once a lead with encased wire is moulded, it needs a touch of washing up liquid to insert it into the plastic tube.

Rough and ready they are, but they work. Great with floating devons.

Name:  Pencil Leads.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  68.5 KB
    gwelsher likes this.

I looked everywhere trying to buy proper bouncing betty moulds but couldny get thrm anywhere so i just used scrap bits of wood I had, clamp two bits together drill a hole 1mm bigger than the diameter of the inside of your tubing then go down with a drill bit 2mn bigger than your first till its 10mm from the end.
    Still have the originals I made after making bucket loads, they seem to last forever as the inside goes black after the first few times and doesn't seem to burn after that.

Name:  20160222_175636.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  40.0 KBName:  20160225_144636.jpg
Size:  52.8 KBName:  20160229_213015.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  62.1 KB
    rm100, gwelsher, Richardgw and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosslinden0 View Post
    I looked everywhere trying to buy proper bouncing betty moulds but couldny get thrm anywhere so i just used scrap bits of wood I had, clamp two bits together drill a hole 1mm bigger than the diameter of the inside of your tubing then go down with a drill bit 2mn bigger than your first till its 10mm from the end.
    Still have the originals I made after making bucket loads, they seem to last forever as the inside goes black after the first few times and doesn't seem to burn after that.

Name:  20160222_175636.jpg
Size:  40.0 KBName:  20160225_144636.jpg
Size:  52.8 KBName:  20160229_213015.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  62.1 KB
    Where is best to get the tubing ?

What have you used to fix the swivel ? Glue type ?

Where is best to get the tubing ?

What have you used to fix the swivel ? Glue type ?
    just search aquarium tubing on ebay there is millions of the stuff for sale, just select the diameter and the thickness you want, i just bought a big bag of cheap swivels and used a hot glue gun, put a big blob in pop a swivel in then dip in the cup of cold water to harden instantly, i just sat and done them all at once 30minutes you can fire out about a hundred
    rm100 likes this.