Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    434

    Default Lead weight moulds

    Im looking for help in finding moulds for weights , looking for something that can be inserted into 12.5mm dia tubing .

    Cheers

  2. #2

    Default

    A mould will cost you around £20.00. Then you need a hefty torch and a melting ladle.
    It's cheaper to buy ready-made unless you're planning on making 100's.

  3. #3

    Default

    I don't know how good your DIY skills are, but it might be worth having a look at this excellent thread from a few years ago about making your own moulds.

    How to make a Weight Mould

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dunblane
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rm100 View Post
    Im looking for help in finding moulds for weights , looking for something that can be inserted into 12.5mm dia tubing .

    Cheers
    The best moulds I have come across are made by Do-It, might be worth checking their website to see if they make what your looking for.

    Mikh

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ross on Wye
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rm100 View Post
    Im looking for help in finding moulds for weights , looking for something that can be inserted into 12.5mm dia tubing .

    Cheers
    My mate uses a piece of tubular aluminium of the required diameter cut in half to produce these and it doesn’t take him long to make a good stock.

    Clamp mould halves together, insert wire and pour the lead. Once a lead with encased wire is moulded, it needs a touch of washing up liquid to insert it into the plastic tube.

    Rough and ready they are, but they work. Great with floating devons.

    pencil-leads-jpg

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    420

    Default

    I looked everywhere trying to buy proper bouncing betty moulds but couldny get thrm anywhere so i just used scrap bits of wood I had, clamp two bits together drill a hole 1mm bigger than the diameter of the inside of your tubing then go down with a drill bit 2mn bigger than your first till its 10mm from the end.
    Still have the originals I made after making bucket loads, they seem to last forever as the inside goes black after the first few times and doesn't seem to burn after that.

    20160222_175636-jpg20160225_144636-jpg20160229_213015-jpg

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosslinden0 View Post
    I looked everywhere trying to buy proper bouncing betty moulds but couldny get thrm anywhere so i just used scrap bits of wood I had, clamp two bits together drill a hole 1mm bigger than the diameter of the inside of your tubing then go down with a drill bit 2mn bigger than your first till its 10mm from the end.
    Still have the originals I made after making bucket loads, they seem to last forever as the inside goes black after the first few times and doesn't seem to burn after that.

    20160222_175636-jpg20160225_144636-jpg20160229_213015-jpg
    Where is best to get the tubing ?

    What have you used to fix the swivel ? Glue type ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rm100 View Post
    Where is best to get the tubing ?

    What have you used to fix the swivel ? Glue type ?
    just search aquarium tubing on ebay there is millions of the stuff for sale, just select the diameter and the thickness you want, i just bought a big bag of cheap swivels and used a hot glue gun, put a big blob in pop a swivel in then dip in the cup of cold water to harden instantly, i just sat and done them all at once 30minutes you can fire out about a hundred

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •