Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: head finishing

Default head finishing

anyone got any tips on how to get a nice varnish even finish on the head of a fly ? i use black or red varnish from veinard but cannot seem to get the nice finish others do

Multiple thin coats or superglue first, fills gaps as well as seals then varnish over top when 100% dry
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

thanks i will give that a go.
    what do you use to apply it with a thin brush or is there a better method ?

Default Head Finishing.

Apply varnish with a dubbing needle, use the thread colour of your choice with clear varnish, super glue etc.
    Piker20 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeboker View Post
    thanks i will give that a go.
    what do you use to apply it with a thin brush or is there a better method ?
    Superglue I like a brush from a nail varnish cut down to just 1/4 thickness. Cellire with a needle.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

1 coat Loctite Easy Brush/Brush On superglue and then 2 coats nail varnish, any clear cheap stuff.
    As Piker says trim the brushes on them till you are left with a thin brush.
    Make sure you keep it off the hackles/wing.
    DrPatrickT and dave_n like this.
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

Whip finish with the tiniest amount of superglue applied to the thread just as you are about to wrap.

When dry, one coat of varnish

When dry, one coat of UV resin (resin and UV lamp v.cheap on ebay)

Apply varnish and UV with a dubbing needle. Use small amounts and 'lead' the drops around the head. You'll soon get a good technique.

UV torch with 1x thick and 1x thin UV resin around £10. I'm still on the same original bottle 3 years on. Superb finish and no need for the expensive stuff, it cures quickly (1 second) and doesnt whiten when immersed in water as some can.
    Last edited by AlanT; 11-01-2017 at 07:34 PM.

On black thread I use one coat of black cellire varnish then two or three coats of clear cellire, on coloured thread's three coats of clear cellire, I use a small sewing needle to apply the varnish
    gt05254 and Piker20 like this.

Default Multi Coats of Varnish

I used to be a fan of multi coats of varnish and still am to a large extent. I find that depending on how you hang the fly to dry (head up/down or horizontal), then gravity will distort the shape of the head as the varnish runs down. Depends also on how much varnish you use of course
    Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it Hidden Content

Three coats of clear Cellire applied with dubbing needle (it's how I do all my flies):

Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast