Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: Hooking UP

shepter is offline Banned

Default Hooking UP

Hooking Up
    One thread on here was discussing about loosing more fish when using Shooting heads ? I have never had a problem hooking fish using them .

I reckon its all about hooking up to your takes , and hooks !! And how a fish takes your hook , and how you set the hook ? We all make mistakes on the "take" My main fault is when I have fished most of the day without an offer, ,I'm miles away thinking of an event, day dreaming, or something has attracted my attention,looking way off track, then unexpectedly I get a take and lift into it straight away, fish off ! then a few swear words follows.If you want to lose way more fish than you land then this is the way to do it ? Below is my way of hooking up

When a fish takes my fly (I use only tube doubles and doubles hooks only) I always hand line when fishing no matter what the flow of the river is, I feel the take , some are so gentle they resemble a leaf hooking up ? some are savage, but the bulk of takes I've had a gentle pull, my rod tip is always approx 1ft off the river throughout the cast, and following directly with the swing of your fly,this is for maximum hook set, do not lift the rod or strike,and DON'T give the fish any line !! keep a hold of your line and let it tighten , I say to myself , "tight,,, tight,,, tighter" Then lift into the fish , depending how the fish has taken your fly ? and where the hook has set will determine how good of a hold you have ? The rest is up to you to play out your fish.

I always use a net,those that don't are to lazy to carry one, they are so light weight these days ,there isn't an excuse not to carry one, and should be made compulsory, as it enables you to unhook a fish without lifting it out of the water,and prevents the fish from making another rush for freedom still hooked , unless you are fishing from a grassy bank, which demands a landing net ! to lift the fish from the river,

When fishing with spinning lures I lift into fish straight away, your drag has to be set correctly not to pull or bend the hook, enough to set it, and always have the rod tip following the spinner so directly in contact of any takes, and avoid any angle from rod tip to the lure, I have seen anglers fish their rod at up to 90 degrees to the spinner, this is the best way not to set your hook as the rod tip takes all the tension out of the hook, and then they wonder why they have lost it ?
    Last edited by shepter; 12-01-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    Tippet321 and salarchaser like this.

Funny old game init?
    Almost all of my salmon fly fishing has been with a single hander on small to tiny rivers (or lochs) and I always strike! If you can see the fish close it's mouth on the fly there is no reason not to strike! OK there are often times when it pays to let the fish turn down with the fly (half a second) before you hit it.

How do you explain the difference between spinning and fly? Why do you hit them straight off when spinning but wait with the fly?

I've done a lot of spinning and would never dream of pointing the rod straight down the line. It is, in my book, asking for a smash. I nearly always spin upstream and want a bit of angle to cushion the take when a fish turns back upstream in the take.

Each to his own and all that!

Andy
    lowforcefly and Scania man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcountry View Post
    Funny old game init?
    Almost all of my salmon fly fishing has been with a single hander on small to tiny rivers (or lochs) and I always strike! If you can see the fish close it's mouth on the fly there is no reason not to strike! OK there are often times when it pays to let the fish turn down with the fly (half a second) before you hit it.

How do you explain the difference between spinning and fly? Why do you hit them straight off when spinning but wait with the fly?

I've done a lot of spinning and would never dream of pointing the rod straight down the line. It is, in my book, asking for a smash. I nearly always spin upstream and want a bit of angle to cushion the take when a fish turns back upstream in the take.

Each to his own and all that!

Andy
    West country,
    Maybe the difference in hitting them straight off when spinning is most spinning baits , plugs Flying C's, tobys devons etc are much larger and heavier than a fly and may spit/let go of of the spinner ? so I take no chances,. you can't get smashed/snapped by pointing the rod tip at the spinner if you have your clutch correct for setting the hook,this acts as a cushion as you name it, if your clutch is to tight a breakage or pulled/straightened hook is inevitable,

Some of the spinning rods on the market are far to stiff fast actiond, casting up to 20 to 60gms +, the best actioned spin rods were the hollow glass rods of way back when, but the Greys 12 ft XFlite 10 /18gm is my perfect rod, but end of the line now.
    Last edited by shepter; 10-01-2017 at 11:04 PM.

We all lose fish,hopefully not too many to be painful. With most of us only catching modest numbers of fish nowadays,every loss still hurts a bit though.
    By lost,I don't mean pull...splash...bye-bye, but fish you feel are well hooked and come off in play.
    I don't use shooting heads,not from prejudice, I get the occasional use and see their plus points.
    If I felt I was fishing better I would use them.
    I have reflected on losing fish recently and was going to raise this,so now is as good a time as any.
    When looking at fish I have lost or seen lost,it seems more are lost fishing from the deeper side of a pool,or where you think the fish has turned towards you. Because we are not talking big numbers,it is totally un-scientific and could be pure luck. A little niggle makes me think not.
    You don't observe that many takes but I think generally,fish turn towards the deeper water. If you are fishing from the shallower side of a pool,all the angles are in your favour.
    A confident take sees the fish turning away from you downstream,with the line pulling across towards you. These fish are usually well hooked and landed.
    I usually treat all takes the same, my logic being once you feel the fish,the hook point must have started to penetrate,it isn't going to move,it is what it is,so you might as well finish the job off.
    I let the line tighten,bend into the fish,then lean on it to make sure it's well hooked.
    This has served me well over the years. For 21 landed and 2 lost last season I won't lose sleep. I would say the lost fish were one of each.
    I have long since given up the practice of releasing line, but now I'm not so sure. For fish that you think turn towards you,a little more time should improve the angle that the hook is pulling into the fish. I am inclined to give this a go this season.
    I wondered does anyone have a different approach to different types of take?
    t.c.
    shepter likes this.

Tony,

I concur with your opinion: see Crash! Bang! Pluck! - The Dynamics of the Take on Just One Week posted in October 2013.

M
    westie4566 and tony considine like this.

Losing fish is as much a part of fishing as tying on a lure or casting. If we landed everything we hooked I don't think we would enjoy it as much and definately wouldn't have as many tall tales to tell.

You can go through losing streaks. I went through one years ago where I hooked 12 in a week and didn't land one of them. Just this summer past, I hooked 14 in a week and landed just two of them (including hooking 6 in one morning without coming close to landing one). Without changing anything at all I landed pretty much everything I hooked after that.

I don't really mind losing fish. I would much rather get 'the take' every now again and lose a fish, to get the auld heart pumping, rather than stand for days and hook nothing.
    speydog and Bex like this.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

I reckon more fish are lost when fishing a full floater than if using a sink tip or a floater using various sinking poly leaders, and more loses with small grilse less than 5lbs in weight than larger salmon
    Bruino likes this.

To me the new Rio Connect running lines (and similar) seem counter-intuitive to hooking salmon. If there's no stretch in the line, would it not lead to more hooks being yanked out the mouth? Or is the line stretch too insignificant to matter?

The general consensus seems to be patient on the take. I've lost a good few fish by being too quick on the draw. I find it hard not to be and it's so frustrating!

Unless you've got your rod pointing directly at the fish the stretch of the line is insignificant compared to the flex in the rod. If you have a 13 foot rod held at say 30 degrees to the line, a mere 5 degrees of deflection of the tip yields about a foot of 'give', which dwarfs anything you will get out of the line at those low force levels. Furthermore, the rod will always react far faster than the person holding it.

Many people may believe that a lack of line stretch contributes to the loss of fish, but that belief doesn't square with the facts of the physics.
    westie4566 and ian74 like this.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast