Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  181
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hooking UP

Have you ever tried holding a rod with side strain playing a fish leaning the tip of the rod towards the bank , I was given this advice from an another angler, I have used it with successful results ,it may seem an awkward rod position , he reckoned you have more control over head shaking fish , as it was easier to control slack line, No doubt others might disagree,

Quote Originally Posted by DOON ROD View Post
    Not at all mate - Thats what we used to fish like before the anti's and fly only zealots got their way . You used to go fishing to catch fish . We fished according to conditions . You could catch a salmon and take them home to eat if you wanted to . You could put them all back as well . We had a choice .

There were plenty fish to go round even for poachers and netting stations .
    Now the fishermen is to blame for everything and he pays the heavy price .
    But we are our own worst enemies when all we do is berate and chastise each other through jealousy and snobbery by making silly rules to take the catching out of fishing and not for the greater good either .

If the wrong people get their own ways we will all be fishing single barbless hooked flys with 100% C&R with a season that starts on April 1st and finishes on 31st August .

If these people really do not want any harm at all to happen to fish .......they should take up golf .
    Here's where I stand on this...

Up until about 10 years ago I caught a lot of fish on the worm on the SW Wales rivers, we took a couple every year and put the rest back and never kept anything slightly coloured. People made excuses about keeping coloured fish for smoking...absolute rubbish, the best smoking fish are fresh fish!

I now fish the fly whenever I can because I enjoy it and the aesthetics of casting. I deplore being told that I must fish one way or another. It is up to the individual what method he/she uses as long as it is totally legal. Rivers like the Thurso are fly only and that is fine by me, you know what to expect before booking. I fished a river two years ago, so say fly only, but the ghillie said at the end of our stay "Give it a go with a spinner". After raised eyebrows a mate did so and caught a fish which he put back. The ghillie asked why he didn't keep the fish he answered that the T&C for fishing the beat was all C&R!!! The ghillie wanted fish in the book!!

I agree with Marc, we are in danger (as with Wildfowling), of going overboard to appease the conservationalists. Yes, there may be less fish about but if taking a couple a year is bad for conservation then why are we even bothering to fish? The lack of fish for the past two years is down to many things, not least the lack of water in the rivers. get decent summer rainfall (a "splashy summer" as we call it down here), and I bet fish stocks will rise. 1988 was a great year, why?....we had water all through the season and fish ran.

In essence I agree with Marc, we need to be more robust with the conservationalists who in many instances see our fishing as elitist and would like to ban it. Insisting on fly only just reinforces their elitist argument.

Paul

i agree with both the above comments ,the problem as i see it is that the enemy is within our ranks and are generally people who earn money from the sport who will make any excuse to curtail our methods an enjoyment an use all manner of lies to justify it ,its really become quite appalling the nonsense that is going on an at the end of the day its very off putting to people new to the sport .

Quote Originally Posted by DOON ROD View Post
    The best way against losing fish is to use the worm . I've never ever lost a single salmon on the worm . If you leave it long enough then they swallow the worms right down .
    Even better If you use a thompson tackle or stewart tackle rig then you have more chances of hooking them and them staying on

The 3 salmon that I chapped in my avatar were all caught on the worm . They tasted great .
    You forgot to mention the gaff
    Patrick

Yes Paul.
    got to agree with you on this

" I deplore being told that I must fish one way or another. It is up to the individual what method he/she uses as long as it is totally legal."

Quote Originally Posted by shepter View Post
    Hooking Up
    One thread on here was discussing about loosing more fish when using Shooting heads ? I have never had a problem hooking fish using them .

I reckon its all about hooking up to your takes , and hooks !! And how a fish takes your hook , and how you set the hook ? We all make mistakes on the "take" My main fault is when I have fished most of the day without an offer, ,I'm miles away thinking of an event, day dreaming, or something has attracted my attention,looking way off track, then unexpectedly I get a take and lift into it straight away, fish off ! then a few swear words follows.If you want to lose way more fish than you land then this is the way to do it ? Below is my way of hooking up

When a fish takes my fly (I use only tube doubles and doubles hooks only) I always hand line when fishing no matter what the flow of the river is, I feel the take , some are so gentle they resemble a leaf hooking up ? some are savage, but the bulk of takes I've had a gentle pull, my rod tip is always approx 1ft off the river throughout the cast, and following directly with the swing of your fly,this is for maximum hook set, do not lift the rod or strike,and DON'T give the fish any line !! keep a hold of your line and let it tighten , I say to myself , "tight,,, tight,,, tighter" Then lift into the fish , depending how the fish has taken your fly ? and where the hook has set will determine how good of a hold you have ? The rest is up to you to play out your fish.

I always use a net,those that don't are to lazy to carry one, they are so light weight these days ,there isn't an excuse not to carry one, and should be made compulsory, as it enables you to unhook a fish without lifting it out of the water,and prevents the fish from making another rush for freedom still hooked , unless you are fishing from a grassy bank, which demands a landing net ! to lift the fish from the river,

When fishing with spinning lures I lift into fish straight away, your drag has to be set correctly not to pull the hook, enough to set it, and always have the rod tip following the spinner so directly in contact of any takes, and avoid any angle from rod tip to the lure, I have seen anglers fish their rod at 90 degrees to the spinner, this is the best way not to set your hook as the rod tip takes all the tension out of the hook, and then they wonder why they have lost it ?
    You say people that don,t carry a net are lazy.
    Well your welcome to come and fish some of the places i do with your net on your back,but i bet within ten minutes you will be wishing you didn,t bother.
    Not all fishing spots have nice mown banks and wide open spaces.
    On lots of smaller rivers the banks are overgrown and tree lined,so a net is nothing but a pain to carry through this.
    I have no problem landing fish and keeping them in the water without a net.I do lie them on the bank for a pic when i want.
    And i,v seen more fish lost (and rods broken) by anglers trying to net a fish on there own,especially when using spinners.
    This is my fishing rod!.
    There are many like it but this one is mine.
    Without me,my rod is useless!.
    Without my rod,i am useless!.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    You say people that don,t carry a net are lazy.
    Well your welcome to come and fish some of the places i do with your net on your back,but i bet within ten minutes you will be wishing you didn,t bother.
    Not all fishing spots have nice mown banks and wide open spaces.
    On lots of smaller rivers the banks are overgrown and tree lined,so a net is nothing but a pain to carry through this.
    I have no problem landing fish and keeping them in the water without a net.I do lie them on the bank for a pic when i want.
    And i,v seen more fish lost (and rods broken) by anglers trying to net a fish on there own,especially when using spinners.
    Bushwacker
    I have fished armed with a net on my back in places where a goat has to be stealthy, hanging onto rocky scrub and heather gorges, laden with bushes trees etc and , having to take my rod to bits to scramble through undergrowth and trees, Don't tell me its like a jungle in the lowland Durham area of the Wear, seen your pics of this on here and looks like as level as a cricket pitch to the places places I have fished, So not an excuse to not carry a net, a bit of bank side work is all that is needed where you go. I ALWAYS carry a net

Of course fishing the worm correctly is a skill in its own right and one to be used when the angler should wish, I am just pulling the leg of a mate. With regards nets I don't carry one anymore, I think I can get a fish to the side and unhooked just as quick without. Though I agree if a mate or Ghillie is about a net can shorten the fight as you don't have to get the fish so close to the rod as you do when alone.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick jackson View Post
    You forgot to mention the gaff
    Patrick
    Patrick I see nothing wrong with a gaff .

I see it as better than a net . Lets say you know in your mind that you dont need a salmon for the freezer because you already have enough at home . Why bother taking a net because you are going to return - no matter what you catch . Fish are better released not going into a net in the first place .

Now lets say that you have made up your mind that you could be doing with a fish . You are down to your last piece of salmon in the freezer . So next decent fresh fish you get is getting chapped . So it is in this instance that you should be still able to use a gaff . Its easier and handier and less obstructive . You had already made up your mind that the next fresh fish you caught was going in the freezer regardless of whether it was netted or gaffed .

Next lets talk about this fly only nonsense . I regularly take my son fishing with me and he has said on countless occasions " Dad can I bring my wee spinning rod and spin a mepp or a devon? " sometimes I have to say no son - we are going to another place today that is fly only - his wee face drops as he replies "so I'm just going to be watching all day again ?"
    As a trade off I let him reel the salmon in that I hook . But it is a long day for him because he is a victim of fly only snobbery .
    I am a firm believer that boys up to the age of 16 should be able to fish whatever the hell the want or at least given a bit more allowance .

Next victim of fly only snobbery is the 70 year old man who is sitting on the banking knackered because he struggles to wield the double handed fly rod as continuously throughout a day as he once did - Is this man getting his money's worth from the beat who thrust fly only snobbery on his frail body ? These men should also be given special consideration at the fishing .

Lastly is the wheelchair bound or disabled fisher who also cannot wave a double hander about .
    He could happily fish at a specific suitable chosen place on a river and fish with a spinner or throwing a worm in but again he cannot because he is a victim of fly only zealots who give no consideration to anybody except themselves .

They forget about when they were wee boys because in they days folk could fish with anything .
    They cannot see ahead of themselves to appreciate when they might be older and they will wish that more places allowed spinning .
    They also cannot see that a simple accident or bad luck episode could see them in a wheelchair or be rendered disabled .

To the people who chastise folk for fishing when there are too many kelts about or too many coloured fish about ..........Be very careful what you all wish for because if the wrong people get their way you will all be left with a season from 1st April to 31st August .

Fishing is only a bloody hobby - It should be there for everyone to enjoy .

To the 100% C&R brigade .........Yous dont know what you are missing in a nice bit of pan seared wild salmon beside some new tatties .

I am sure I read years ago in a James Hardy book that fly fishing had to be employed after the nets came off the rivers I assume as it was seen as less successful and a better way of stopping too many fish being retained as almost all fish were retained back then.

Anyway the Tay is my big river of choice not for its location but for the fact that I have the option to spin if conditions dictate, also last few years I have been taking my 11 year old cousin up and the ghillie has insisted he is taught to fish a spinning rod without payment as long as he fishes alongside me at each pool. Had a good conversation with him regarding trying to attract youngsters into the sport but proving very difficult due to fly only brigade who try to force their views on others.

Let the young learn to catch a few fish on the spinner and then they will progress into fly later. Youngsters coming into salmon fishing are rare and fly only beats and rivers is only making this worse.

If I was fishing a beat and another rod had his son with him and the ghillie asked me if I objected to the young lad having a cast with a worm or spinner , my answer would be crack on and even if the lad took a fish in front of me I would be happy knowing another youngster is hooked. Young boys are needed in this sport as they are the future of the sport but now on most beats and rivers they are discouraged from having a chuck with a spinner as it is a fly only beat.

Also hate carrying a net and most of the time I will bring the fish into the shallows and unhook it without the fish touching any dry stones or shingle. If honest there are a lot of salmon anglers who are getting on in years and struggle getting about just with their rod and bag so again I do not feel people forcing them to carry a net helps.. salmon fishing is starting to resemble Golf clubs and golf club rules and snobbery which is sad as I gave up golf for this very reason.

Anyway only my thoughts
    Last edited by Single Hander; 12-01-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast