Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: One for the experts

Default One for the experts

Long story short. I bought Mann's book a couple of weeks ago and have instantly been overwhelmed by some of the patterns out there.
    One of my best friends (not a fisherman) recently saw my tying stash and uttered: Ah I get it, if somebody was using all of these bright shiny materials other than flytying, we'd call him a faggot, but the 'catching fish' aspect makes it manly
    Sorry for the spinoff
    I really like the silver grey hairwing variant in Mann's book and thought about tying one for the swap. Even if I don't have all the materials sometimes, I have to tie something similar with the stuff I have and wind up with the idea behind it still visible, but different

To, finally, get to the point. I started tying this fella, but had probs tying in the GP crest. Gave it like 10 mins but it kept twisting and I gave up. Is there a special way to do this or am I using the wrong material? Only got a GP head and used a feather from the breast region...

Name:  IMG-20170105-WA0000.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  20.1 KB

Sorry for the monologue, had a few pints

Wetting the crest feather and sticking it to the side of a bottle or glass and allowing it to dry will give you a nice curved feather.
    speydog and Canewizard like this.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Hi,steam the feather over a kettle (mind the digits),a few secs.will do.When tying in hold feather by the tip between thumb and forefinger,line up and tie in.jg
    Canewizard likes this.

Wouldn't consider myself an expert but not all GP crests are equal!

I bought a veniards one a couple of years ago and every time I used a crest from it I was disappointed with the outcome -
    they never seemed to sit nicely. I bought a hareline one recently and the quality is way better - the crests go on straight and are easy to position so they sit nicely. I'll try the water/steam trick on the veniards one though.
    Last edited by ozzyian; 10-01-2017 at 09:41 AM.

shepter is offline Banned

I have "never" used a crest feather, "never" use jungle cock eyes, and "never" use bucktail hair either, and never tie a tag into the bend on all my salmon flies, still grassed 15 salmon and grilse last season the poor year it was.

None of the flies were dresssed with jungle cock, "Most" anglers as well as fish are attracted by flies that have jungle cock in them, If the body of your fly has some bright tinsel ,then surely this is the attractor ,
    Last edited by shepter; 10-01-2017 at 02:11 PM.

T7

Quote Originally Posted by shepter View Post
    I have "never" used a crest feather, "never" use jungle cock eyes, and "never" use bucktail hair either, and never tie a tag into the bend on all my salmon flies, still grassed 15 salmon and grilse last season the poor year it was.
    Worming? ;-)

Well done you!!!

For quite a few, and I definately include myself in this, fly tying and fly fishing are two completely seperate hobbies. I honestly believe that if you persevered enough, you could catch a salmon on a bare hook. Salmon are most definately not a difficult species to catch if you know your river well.

Purely for catching salmon, it does not matter a jot what is on the end of the line as long as the fish can see it. From a fly tying viewpoint, it is nice to use different materials but even better to use them well.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

T7

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    Well done you!!!

For quite a few, and I definately include myself in this, fly tying and fly fishing are two completely seperate hobbies. I honestly believe that if you persevered enough, you could catch a salmon on a bare hook. Salmon are most definately not a difficult species to catch if you know your river well.

Purely for catching salmon, it does not matter a jot what is on the end of the line as long as the fish can see it. From a fly tying viewpoint, it is nice to use different materials but even better to use them well.
    Falkus proved it could be done. Possibly was sea trout but think the point remains.

Agree with all you say
    Jockiescott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    Well done you!!!

Well said sir

None of the flies were dresssed with jungle cock, "Most" anglers as well as fish are attracted by flies that have jungle cock in them, If the body of your fly has some bright tinsel ,then surely this is the attractor ,
    have you a picture for us?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast