Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By JACK POWER
  • 1 Post By seeking

Thread: Sea trout report 25 years in the making ...

Default Sea trout report 25 years in the making ...

Inland Fisheries Ireland, a government agency, conclude that salmon farms are a threat to sea trout. This is hardly news to anyone using this site but it is another confirmation that aquaculture, as it stands today, is a dirty business contributing to the destruction of a species - or two. Debate over really no matter how loudly the fish farmers shout.

New research finds salmon farming contributes to sea lice infestation on sea trout as valuable stocks decline | Press releases | About us

Quote Originally Posted by JACK POWER View Post
    Inland Fisheries Ireland, a government agency, conclude that salmon farms are a threat to sea trout. This is hardly news to anyone using this site but it is another confirmation that aquaculture, as it stands today, is a dirty business contributing to the destruction of a species - or two. Debate over really no matter how loudly the fish farmers shout.

New research finds salmon farming contributes to sea lice infestation on sea trout as valuable stocks decline | Press releases | About us
    Thatís a good start for Ireland. A government agency acknowledging the problems we have known about for years. Next step is government action. How much is fish farming worth to the Irish economy?

Good luck to those who fish the Scottish rivers. I think you will have a more difficult job with SNP but I wish you every success in getting the message through and more importantly getting them to take some meaningful action.

shame its taken so long Any government response yet or will it fall on deaf ears ?

I wonder if there will be a mention of this in next months T&S. Apparently they like to report both sides of the argument! Or maybe the so called voice of UK trout/salmon anglers, will report more pish from the so called 'independent consultant'.

Default many reports

"shame its taken so long Any government response yet or will it fall on deaf ears?"

There have been many, many interim reports but none as comprehensive as this. Fish farmers will find it hard, I hope, to undermine this one.

An oral hearing on a proposed salmon farm at Shot Head - Marine Harvest, who else? - in Bantry Bay opens next month. Hopefully, this report will influence the decisions made. I'm sad that it can only be a hope but I can't understand how science like this can be set aside.

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country)

Interesting post on another thread on this subject:

Quote Originally Posted by On The Fly View Post
    Maybe the research was carried out because of Ken Wheelan's comment some years ago when he was with the Marine Institute and in direct conflict with Paddy Gargan's findings . Ken concluded during a TV documentary that there was no evidence that salmon farms had a significant impact on marine survival of sea trout. I wonder if he still believes that ??????

Perhaps then that's an explanation

Everyone else surely remembers the Triumverate (SCS effectively in league with farmers to stop wild harvest)...

"All at sea"
    MRIA.
    JACK POWER likes this.
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

To one who has roved on the mountains afar
    Oh! For the crags that are wild and magestic
    The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar.

Interesting reading kgm. Thanks for sharing