Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Beer

Good draught Guinness is unbeatable.

If that's not available then 90% of the bottled ales from the Ellon/Fraserburgh Brewdog brewery are very good (as Tyke already said). Avoid the gluten free one and the alcohol free one. If you like or need gluten free then Daura Damm from the Barcelona Estrella brewery is very nice, as are all their beers/lagers.

7 giraffe's from an alloa brewery is also very nice.
    Last edited by kgm; 11-01-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    To one who has roved on the mountains afar
    Oh! For the crags that are wild and magestic
    The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar.

Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post

If that's not available then 90% of the bottled ales from the Ellon/Fraserburgh Brewdog brewery are very good (as Tyke already said). Avoid the gluten free one and the alcohol free one. If you like or need gluten free then Damm from the Barcelona Estrella brewery is very nice, as are all their beers/lagers.

Guinness is good, but Murphy is better!! Or so say the people from the Cork area and I would tend to agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Gauldalen View Post
    Guinness is good, but Murphy is better!! Or so say the people from the Cork area and I would tend to agree!
    That's why they're down there and we are up here

I injoy the innis and gunn toasted oak really went down well.

Drink Guinness in a pub that sells a lot of it with a short run from barrel to pump and you won't go far wrong.

That's why they're down there and we are up here
    .....This might lead to some interesting exchange of opinion, if some of the Cork membership community read your answer, but I am neutral.....! I'll just watch and enjoy my Murphy!!

For me I can't see past a good pint of Deuchars IPA, Harviestoun Bitter and Twisted, Cromarty Brewery Happy Chappy or Orkney Northern lights. Bottled ale I find a bit too gassy so it needs to sit open for a wee while before drinking, and there is a special place in hell for establishments that insist on putting bottled ale in fridges in fact at the very least I feel custodial sentences should be handed out for such crimes as I find in most cases it completely kills the flavour and you might as well be drinking tartan special

Also I was opinion for a good while that Fraoch heather Ale was a bit gimmicky until I actually tried it, the trouble is however that it goes down too easily...

Paul
    Last edited by carbisdale caster; 11-01-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by happy days View Post
    Drink Guinness in a pub that sells a lot of it with a short run from barrel to pump and you won't go far wrong.
    A good flow is the key and a good quality cooling system. I'm not convinced by the short run anymore.

We are lucky to have 3 pubs here in Kilkenny that have exceptional Guinness and bar staff that pride themselves on producing the best pint.

Oh aye, that extra cold Guinness should be outlawed

If that's not available then 90% of the bottled ales from the Ellon/Fraserburgh Brewdog brewery are very good (as Tyke already said). Avoid the gluten free one and the alcohol free one. If you like or need gluten free then Damm from the Barcelona Estrella brewery is very nice, as are all their beers/lagers.

I can't say it enough! everything Williams is good look for the label and buy it with confidence! They are genuine and enthusiastic brewers who are brewing using non shortcut methods.

Not so sure about Brew Dog, way too 'try hard' and unauthentic for me - they've become what they made a name for themselves by criticising - mass produced continuous cycle beers. Though I'm not actually sure they were ever particularly authentic anyway - despite their claims to the contrary.

I think a few folks on this thread may have lost site of what the original post was about - the new wave of craft brewing which is simply superior in every measurable way to what we used to get.

All this talk about TT Landlord, Deuchars, Guiness, Theakestones etc even Brew Dog - it's all a million miles away from the new wave of craft brewing. All this stuff is large scale production using concentrates and pre formed additives which is then brewed using a continuous production cycle method - ie not batched. Good drinkable beers though they might be it's a bit like comparing Johnny Walker Red Label to ......... (insert favourite 21 yr old + single malt)

I make the distinction because these guys really should be applauded for going out and doing something properly at very high quality levels with proper ingredients and no shortcuts

Subliminal suggestion, I will have to have a pint of black velvet on the way home now

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast