Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer

There's loads of good beers out ATM in the supermarkets.

My brother is right into his beer and brews his own. He has all the kit and often follows recipes. What he produces is 1st class, it's as good as anything I've tasted, if a little less polished than a commercial product, with a bit of sediment etc.

It's a far cry from the days a group of us 16 year olds doubled up the quantities in a mixed packet of home-brew double strength lager, to see if we could make something stronger than Special Brew

If you are up North then try the 'Trade Winds' from the Cairngorm Brewery, 4 or 8 of them just slip right down.

Default billy connely

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post
    There's loads of good beers out ATM in the supermarkets.

My brother is right into his beer and brews his own. He has all the kit and often follows recipes. What he produces is 1st class, it's as good as anything I've tasted, if a little less polished than a commercial product, with a bit of sediment etc.

It's a far cry from the days a group of us 16 year olds doubled up the quantities in a mixed packet of home-brew double strength lager, to see if we could make something stronger than Special Brew

If you are up North then try the 'Trade Winds' from the Cairngorm Brewery, 4 or 8 of them just slip right down.

when i was in me teens i was in asda instockton with my mutha,about that time billy connely was advertising none alcoholic beer on TV (calibre) so i said to my mutha can i have on eof them "tom caxton none alcoholic home brew kits) yeah get one my mum says ,wow wsnt expecting that,so that was it i had the green light,after a few weeks i had a barrely with Co2 injectors a small keg lots of beer bottle brown and amber ale bottles back then and some double maxim bottles,i learnt how to make wine form rose petals by our physics teacher who is the twin uncle of john tompkinson (DCI banks TV) this man knew the latin name for everything and to be honest they wasnt a lot he didnt know or was able to take on,we kept bees at school and brewed rose petal wine every yr in those less politically incorrect days we all got to taste.
    So being a kid at the time and was funded by selling the odd fish back then i bought some wine kits which were ok but not as good as a home made recippee so this day i collected a quart of dandelion leaves and sat and removed each one with care,not wanting to get any green matter as thats bitter same as the heads,dropped it all into some luke warm distilled water,along with some brown sugar and a few spoons of malasous (spelling) took what 3 month to slow down then i dropped a camden tablet into the demijohn killed the fermentaion then used isingglass (comes from the swim bladder of sturgeon fish) the issinglass clears the wine or beer,personally these days i leave to clear au' natural,but back then i was a teen-ager,turned out like a vermouth but a little sweeter,next time i used a tin of victoria yellow plums but strained thru a muslim cloth,at this point of my little wine making venture all was about to go "pete tong" first i took some to school had a few before assembly we were all ok but stephen pooley wow had to go home then i got what was known as a "ontop" from my head teacher sister mary,she asked where the botttle was and left in the hands of mr tomkinson and mr edwards (spelt b.astrd) nice man said the last school he worked in was aproved,anyway mr T said ill try it which they both did he raised the eyebrow then like the juice man from delmonte said yes! i gave him the recippee the rest got lines and detension i wnet home,the same night my cuz came to the house to watch sunderland play at middlesbrough,he said to my father he brews !!!! well he sniffed out my ale i had in the keg a dark black beer not stout,made with a geordie home brew kit all raw ingredients no body went to the football and no body went home that night ie my cousin after that i was never allowed to brew again...........but wine was my thing loved it,the beers well i got a decent book off a school teacher MRt and made some of the best stouts i ever tatsed............good days
    "Don't hate the black, don't hate the white,if you get bitten just hate the bite"

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie-boy View Post
    You've just named my two favourites of all time, Summer Lightning and Timothy Taylor's Landlord!
    You can't go wrong with Landlord

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    You can't go wrong with Landlord
    What is it with you southerners and TTL???

My local has a real ale reputation and varies its casks but only has 4 taps for casks (loads more for the fizzy concentrate brewed rubbish - obv!)

The bane of our lives is TTL - it keeps appearing and takes out one of the valuable cask taps that could be used for something decent - we keep complaining and the excuse is that 'we get asked for it by English golfers!

Beers are personal but I subscribe to the theory that you can't over hop a beer In my view lowland Scotland is leading the UKs charge on craft beers. Williams, Alechemy and Tryst from the central belt Tempest and Broughton from the Borders.

If you like the amarillo/citra hops styles these'll keep you busy for months available variously from Tesco, Coop and Aldi. Two special mentions - both with g0d awful names - Broughton Hoppotamus and St Austel Brewery Proper Job (don't let the name put you off - it's awesome and a surprise to see a decent beer come from the south)
    Last edited by ozzyian; 08-01-2017 at 01:12 PM.

I am partial to real ale. Better off the hand pump than out of the bottle, but the Mrs wont let me put a hand pump in the kitchen so bottles will do.

Quite fortunate living in the centre of Cheshire. Lots of old pubs / coaching inns with a wide variety of real ales. Also a couple of decent local breweries, including Tatton, and Weetwood, the latter producing a variety of good pints, including Old Dog. Robinson beers are good as well, including Trooper which was brewed for Iron Maiden. https://www.beer-searcher.co.uk/breweries-in-cheshire/

Farther afield and I'm quite partial to Black Sheep and Badger beers (hopping hare is great). Kentish ales in general and good. Adnams is quite moreish.

My favourite beer by name, Piddle in the Wind! Wyre Piddle Brewery Home Page

I enjoy touring the country fishing and discovering local ales. Always grab a pint of Station Bitter from the stone house brewery in Oswestry after a day afloat on Lake Vyrnwy.

Also admit to liking TT Landlord, several of which were consumed over Christmas.

Used to make home brew from kits back in the 80s. Made some half decent beers. Got into trouble with the neighbours wives as a few of us would have a pint or two straight after work on a Friday. By 7pm the blokes would be slaloming up the road home. Happy days.
    Last edited by salarchaser; 08-01-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

Although I only live a few miles from the brewery I have to say I am not a fan of Black Sheep in bottles, the draft is ok.
    Of the larger breweries Thwaites take some beating both on draught and bottled and I am particularly found of the Double Century bottled.
    I do enjoy trying the huge range of beers available now and I have had some great ones up in Scotland over recent years.
    Like Rennie I am getting a liking for the blonde beers and both the Yorkshire blonde and Saltaire Blonde are good as is Thwaites Wainwright.

SP8

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post
    What is it with you southerners and TTL???

My local has a real ale reputation and varies its casks but only has 4 taps for casks (loads more for the fizzy concentrate brewed rubbish - obv!)

The bane of our lives is TTL - it keeps appearing and takes out one of the valuable cask taps that could be used for something decent - we keep complaining and the excuse is that 'we get asked for it by English golfers!

Beers are personal but I subscribe to the theory that you can't over hop a beer In my view lowland Scotland is leading the UKs charge on craft beers. Williams, Alechemy and Tryst from the central belt Tempest and Broughton from the Borders.

If you like the amarillo/citra hops styles these'll keep you busy for months available variously from Tesco, Coop and Aldi. Two special mentions - both with g0d awful names - Broughton Hoppotamus and St Austel Brewery Proper Job (don't let the name put you off - it's awesome and a surprise to see a decent beer come from the south)
    Personally I think you can over hop beer and Proper Job is quite close. I did have a couple of pints of it last time I went to the pub, last year now, and the first went down better than the second which indicates too many hops for my palate. St Austell make some pretty good beer. If you go even further in to the Wild West Betty Stoggs is a decent pint too. And TTL IS a good pint and an excellent choice if faced with limited options. So there!

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    Personally I think you can over hop beer and Proper Job is quite close. I did have a couple of pints of it last time I went to the pub, last year now, and the first went down better than the second which indicates too many hops for my palate. St Austell make some pretty good beer. If you go even further in to the Wild West Betty Stoggs is a decent pint too. And TTL IS a good pint and an excellent choice if faced with limited options. So there!
    I'm not swayed on the TTL! Anyway.........

I'd love a cask pint of Proper Job but beer is a genuinely regional thing I suppose and I doubt we could get it up here.

It's just a real pleasure that the quality beer movement has caught hold here (and the UK in general) Wasn't that long ago that Deuchars was the best pint in Scotland - times really have changed!

And to think we have the merkins to thank for a move towards qualty! it's not often you can say that And thank dog for Aldi too, their beer selection is a bit incongruous with the general run of their other products - someone in that company likes his beers!

Jennings Golden Host and Sneck Lifter,go steady with the Lifter
    Abdoocted by a Morris Dancing maniac.

Default Mordue

Mordue radgy gadgy cant go wrong or old tom
    "Don't hate the black, don't hate the white,if you get bitten just hate the bite"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast