Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  71
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To all you people being made redundant, or having the threat hanging over them, I was there too about 35 years ago. Sounds like a "Born again Christian!!!"

There is a bit of a silver lining and that is, if you have been stuck in a job for the sake of security, but have always hankered after doing something for yourself, then my advice is to go for it.

My wife and I had two little children at the time I was made redundant,so it concentrates the mind I know! Ask your family and friends to pass an eye over your ideas and if they say it sounds good then give it a crack...."Don't die wondering".

I PM'd Kenny this post and if there are any of you out there needing some advice from an old fogey who "has the T shirt", please pm me and I'll do what I can to help.

It's a bummer, but talking to people doesn't half help

Paul

Stressing or worrying about it will not benefit your frame of mind, you may come out of this with a better job which you enjoy more. I was told in a meeting offshore on a rig that all our jobs were safe and that there was nothing to worry about, I left the rig next day on my 2 weeks off and the paid off letter was in the house delivered the same day I was being told I was not being laid off. Anyway I got a better paid job as a result so fingers crossed that you also go on to secure a better job.

Good luck and chin up
    SH

Quote Originally Posted by Paul White View Post
    To all you people being made redundant, or having the threat hanging over them, I was there too about 35 years ago. Sounds like a "Born again Christian!!!"

There is a bit of a silver lining and that is, if you have been stuck in a job for the sake of security, but have always hankered after doing something for yourself, then my advice is to go for it.

My wife and I had two little children at the time I was made redundant,so it concentrates the mind I know! Ask your family and friends to pass an eye over your ideas and if they say it sounds good then give it a crack...."Don't die wondering".

I PM'd Kenny this post and if there are any of you out there needing some advice from an old fogey who "has the T shirt", please pm me and I'll do what I can to help.

It's a bummer, but talking to people doesn't half help

Paul
    I ducked the bullet several times with my first employer in the late 80s and early 90s. Left of my own volition in the end as things were so uncertain and I had a young family and a mortgage (with interest rates in double figures).

15 years with my next employer and American venture capitalists bought the company, broke it up and sold it off. I was in a different stage of life by then and took the opportunity to go it alone, took the kings shilling and we parted company. I now do the same sort of work freelance and wish now that I'd done it earlier. It was the push I needed.

A different era now with no job security and even Banks and the civil services making redundancies. No job security anywhere these days.

As you say Paul, see the opportunity in the situation. Not pleasant while it is happening, but life goes on, often for the better.

I hope things turn out well for the OP and anyone else in similar circumstances.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

I was made redundent at 22 and decided to retrain in a different occupation as heavy engineering was on the way out. It gave me the opportunity to set up my own business a few years later. People often get a chance in life that they either take or don't even see. If you do see it go for it or you may rue the lost opportunity in later life.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Am a great believer in the old saying the worst seldom happens.
    Worked in the fishing tackle trade for several years having worked in a ship yard before. Single at the time so decided to try my hand at gardening and was still learning 40 plus years later. Started up on my own so I could go fishing when I wanted. Ended up with a good living but never became a millionaire so what.
    As said be fore came into this world with nothing and still have plenty of it left.
    Bob

I feel your pain Kenny and wish you all the best in the future in finding a new position somewhere.

yanks pulled the plug on our manufacturing plant after I had grafted 31 years for them. Out to see the night shift staying till they were sorted with drgs etc and back out to see them finishing etc
    only for the faceless barstewarts to send in the receivers and not one of the owners were there to thank me and the workforce for the blood and sweat I lost for them over the years. Not even redundancy payment, which we had to get from the Government - which was the basic. So I know how you feel.

been in this job fir 14 and only have to massage it for another 30 months and I am retiring from the rat race for a well deserved break while I'm fit and able still.
    hope you get fixed up soonest Kenny.

PS if you can weld give me a shout as I'm looking for one lol
    Last edited by kingfisher; 07-01-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    I feel your pain Kenny and wish you all the best in the future in finding a new position somewhere.

yanks pulled the plug on our manufacturing plant after I had grafted 31 years for them. Out to see the night shift staying till they were sorted with drgs etc and back out to see them finishing etc
    only for the faceless barstewarts to send in the receivers and not one of the owners were there to thank me and the workforce for the blood and sweat I lost for them over the years. Not even redundancy payment, which we had to get from the Government - which was the basic. So I know how you feel.

been in this job fir 14 and only have to massage it for another 30 months and I am retiring from the rat race for a well deserved break while I'm fit and able still.
    hope you get fixed up soonest Kenny.

PS if you can weld give me a shout as I'm looking for one lol
    Dear Lord, thats a bummer regarding your redundancy payment and shame on your employer for their lack of respect to the workforce. There should be laws to curtail these type of clowns

I'm looking at going it alone in a wee business idea I'm mulling over. It won't make me a million aire but it will provide a living and my destiny is in my hands as opposed to the corporate rat race.

PS: I can't weld but would give it a go lol
    You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you donít try Hidden Content

As Paul White rightly says, now is the moment when you face up to your dream. The saddest phrase in all human life is "if only", so even if it doesn't work, it's better to give it a shot and try something for yourself. All the great businesses started with just one person.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny007 View Post
    Dear Lord, thats a bummer regarding your redundancy payment and shame on your employer for their lack of respect to the workforce. There should be laws to curtail these type of clowns

I'm looking at going it alone in a wee business idea I'm mulling over. It won't make me a million aire but it will provide a living and my destiny is in my hands as opposed to the corporate rat race.

PS: I can't weld but would give it a go lol
    In the spirit of redundancy stories can confirm that after 25 years of suits and associated insincerity I'm being taught to weld by a 25 y.o. yoof and I'm developing a deep affinity for my new favourite thing - a 4 1/2" grinder with cutting wheel Work wise, happiest I've been for ages, security gone, now just me and an idea! - change is good - though worrying at first of course - that's natural

Kenny007 - the fact that you've been there all those years means that you're undervalued - for lots of folk these days 3 years is a long time, I'm sure you'll be fine and good luck to you
    Last edited by ozzyian; 08-01-2017 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    As Paul White rightly says, now is the moment when you face up to your dream. The saddest phrase in all human life is "if only", so even if it doesn't work, it's better to give it a shot and try something for yourself. All the great businesses started with just one person.
    "Don't die wondering", far better then "If Only".

Paul

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast