Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  186
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by flyman View Post
    Bloody hell.A Renault Fuego.I thought they had all rusted into piles of dust.Pretty rare car nowdays.
    I don't wish to be picky but that's actually a Porsche 924.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben-Macdui View Post
    I had to get my old hardy fibalite reconditioned couple years back for dry flee fishing the modern troot rods are great for long casts,single hand speys etc but nae good for close in dry flee work.
    Unsurprising the fibre glass rods are making a comeback although paying the prices some brands are charging is simply emperors new clothes.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

You guys are spot on about rod actions.

totally agree ,todays rods are about casting with little consideration given to actual fishing

A slower more through action is not just for fly rods. I recently modified my 1970s 9.5ft Hardy Fibrelite Spinner and brought it back into use as my first choice spinning rod for spring fishing. I like its slower action as not only does this cushion the hook hold when playing a fish, but it is also easier on my arms when casting as to get the best from it requires a slower more deliberate swing. This makes it ideal for a multiplier. It also casts just as far as my 10ft Greys Missionary carbon with both fixed spool and multiplier.

To me, however, it had 2 faults. Firstly the 28 inch handle was too long for my liking and secondly the rod was very tip heavy and caused my arms to ache, particularly with a fixed spool reel. So I removed the butt cap, cut 3 inches off the handle and inserted 5 ozs of lead inside the end of the blank before refitting the butt cap. The rod, now 9.25ft, balances at the reel fitting without a reel and although heavier feels so much lighter and very comfortable to use.

Why don’t manufacturers consider balance on their longer spinning rods? If I ever buy another carbon spinning rod I think I will get a 3 piece Bruce and Walker Multispin and have them balance it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Piker20 View Post
    Unsurprising the fibre glass rods are making a comeback although paying the prices some brands are charging is simply emperors new clothes.
    Then you have the problem of finding a modern trout reel with the capacity to take a full DT line

Default FG

Give me a fibre glass rod anyday,i got a scottish made rod unknown make,a bruce and walker 14ft 9-11# juts got my hands ona 14ft fibre tube made by blue teal from bishop aukland,i broke a brand new greys rod last year,casting! took it back still waiting for something to be done with a aupposed life time guarentee still no joy been well over a year,so last season bought a old skool carbon fibertube blank (hardy) 14ft 7-9# broke clean at the top spigot,i got no idea how to remove the carbon spigot from the middle section,if the rod were glass i would simply apply some heat then knock it out but carbon im at ends meet......

carbon is strong but rod manufactures seem to be going for lightness all the time,if they want light make them form boron surely,but ill stick to me glass all day long,always stronger,where as carbon is fragile and very brittle and hates shock..........i never ever buy a rod cos its light i first inspect the wall thickness if, and its a big if it meets my standards then i MIGHT buy it,if i was ever to use carbon again would always be with a floater line,and if i was to want a carbon rod i would use a blank with a thicker wall ie maybe a 14 ft surf blank or maybe a 10-12 foot cat blank maybe with a extension handle dunno......
    "Don't hate the black, don't hate the white,if you get bitten just hate the bite"

Quote Originally Posted by mows View Post
    Did the prices fall 70% or were the zealots happy to pay even more.
    I don't know because I never fished it during the 'all methods' era. However, the estate from which we rented the fishing didn't increase their prices significantly over the period 2001-13. The major cost element was always the house rather than the fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by leggartboy View Post
    These old photo's are great and show just how good fishing in Scotland once was, just a pity the fish are all dead and weren't released to carry on their journey !
    What planet have you been fishing on ? C & R will never increase salmon stocks, as proof on the river Dee. Seemingly all the lower And some middle Tay beats are following suit , taking the fish out of fishing

Quote Originally Posted by shepter View Post
    What planet have you been fishing on ? C & R will never increase salmon stocks, as proof on the river Dee. Seemingly all the lower And some middle Tay beats are following suit , taking the fish out of fishing
    In 10 years time if these zealots and C&R brigade keep getting their way then there will be no fishing at all . It will go the same way fox hunting did . They are needig to take their heads out of their erses and fight the real problems salmon are facing and not the folk thats fishing for them or taking the odd one or two home for the table . IDIOTS .

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast