Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  345
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Wye 2017

I fished Backney today. I thought i was in for a good day after 3 fish were caught on Tuesday and lots of fish were seen..... Well, nothing caught, apart from a cracking Chub on a cascade and nothing seen! I usually see a fish or two during the day but today it as very quiet. I even resorted to the spinning rod i was so desperate! Obviously the fish had got wind of my visit and either went into hiding or legged it...... Oh, and my bloody waders are still leaking.

Well we have had the early run of big Springers and there have been some stunning fish caught, many congratulations to those who managed to tempt one of these.

Given the water levels and recent tides etc, if there were any quantity of fish pushing in at the moment then Wyesham and Bigsweir would be catching them in some style, they are not, the fish are simply not there in any numbers. Fingers crossed that they do appear soon and that the Wye does not just continue its growth into "the nations premiere Barbel river" and we can get some half decent salmon fishing again this season, but with only around 70 fish reported so far I am getting worried.

It is troubling. I guess the upper river was fished reasonably hard when the season opened given the water was so high then fish may have pushed on way up river. If perhaps not that might be a glimmer of hope.

I fished Bigsweir on Saturday when there was a good tide. We saw nothing although a fish was hooked and lost but remember that's between 12 of us. I was the last to leave and on driving along the river to Monmouth I noticed that there were cars still parked on all but one of the beats so please no claims that the river isn't being fished.

I calculate that Bigsweir has now had over 320 rod/days so far this season for just one fish.

Quote Originally Posted by rightangle View Post
    I calculate that Bigsweir has now had over 320 rod/days so far this season for just one fish.
    That is really a bit depressing.

The curse of the T&S article...

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    The curse of the T&S article...
    To be fair they blanked on Bigsweir too.

I have been on upper Bigsweir most days this week and I haven't seen a fin , nothing, tides get bigger from Saturday let's hope there's fish on them

8 fish reported yesterday, 34 in the last week and Wyesham is now catching. Things appear to be picking up, and 100+ for April is looking likely. I hope this weeks building tides will see another step up in the runs.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    I have been on upper Bigsweir most days this week and I haven't seen a fin , nothing, tides get bigger from Saturday let's hope there's fish on them
    They're probably keeping out your way with your record this year.........

Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast