Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  612
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 26 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyne 2017

Anyone have any luck yesterday ? Fished the main tyne most of the day and didnt see a thing. Nice to get a day in with the fly rod with no wind and put some hours in tweaking casting for when the fish run.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    Anyone have any luck yesterday ? Fished the main tyne most of the day and didnt see a thing. Nice to get a day in with the fly rod with no wind and put some hours in tweaking casting for when the fish run.

I wanted to get out on the south tyne for go, but family commitments took over. Nice fishing levels today .

Quote Originally Posted by Nath View Post
    I wanted to get out on the south tyne for go, but family commitments took over. Nice fishing levels today .
    The main tyne looked to be rising slightly yesterday so may have got a few fish further up the system. The north tyne will be a bit low now as theyve dropped the release rate right off. Wont be long now untill the fish really start to turn up. Im quite content just getting my casting more consistent in the meantime.

Still looks like decent flows in the north tyne this morning, probs a better height to fish now that the tap has been turned down a little. Will be having a go later I think.

Got to be worth a cast with it dropping off. I tried to get out yesterday for a few hours but got held up at work. Its great having the river 20 mins from work and on my way home.

Last edited by Rrrr; 19-04-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Well it was a lovely evening I just had on the north tyne, but apart from the odd trout rising I never saw a thing.

Still felt cold out of the sun and that keilder water is very cold !

Yea i was fishing right on the bottom on monday with fast sink polys and a big cone head so every so often i could feel it skim a rock as the water was freezing. Hoping to get out tonight for a few hours. Got to be rewarded soon enough for hammering the hours in.

Bloody wind picked up about 3pm yesterday and was blowing downstream again but gusty. Hopefully it drops off for the weekend as the water was at a nice level but still freezing cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    Yea i was fishing right on the bottom on monday with fast sink polys and a big cone head so every so often i could feel it skim a rock as the water was freezing.
    I think you might be fishing just a little too deep.

I had 2 on Bywell 3 weeks ago and was not far short of a full floater (1.5"/s Rio Versi leader) with a 1" cone head; my sinking leader was a compromise with the ghillie who recommended a full floater with the cone head.

I always find running fish a little higher up in even cold water than settled fish but I didn't expect them to be that high up.

If you are on the bottom you are below the fishes eye line and it is unlikely to see the fly. Even in February on the Helmsdale I try and be somewhere in the lower half of the water column but not on the bottom and if I see them head and tailing I fish a little higher as they are showing a willingness to come up.

My tuppence worth anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim610 View Post
    I think you might be fishing just a little too deep.

I had 2 on Bywell 3 weeks ago and was not far short of a full floater (1.5"/s Rio Versi leader) with a 1" cone head; my sinking leader was a compromise with the ghillie who recommended a full floater with the cone head.

I always find running fish a little higher up in even cold water than settled fish but I didn't expect them to be that high up.

If you are on the bottom you are below the fishes eye line and it is unlikely to see the fly. Even in February on the Helmsdale I try and be somewhere in the lower half of the water column but not on the bottom and if I see them head and tailing I fish a little higher as they are showing a willingness to come up.

My tuppence worth anyway.
    Probably the way i explained it but it wasnt dragging where it snags but you could feel it bump the bigger boulders in the run. I usualy fish a slow sink leader but with the big kielder releases the water was freezing so wanted it down into the deep pockets on the far side so needed to get it down fairly quick and the heavy flow probably lifted it slightly on the swing. The waters dropped off abit now so will be fishing slightly higher at the weekend i think.

Page 26 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast