Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What phone , or contract to purchase, sim only or 2 yr deal

Default What phone , or contract to purchase, sim only or 2 yr deal

Hi Guys such a broad question , but any recommendations on new phones or contracts or networks , My existing contract expired earlier this year and I went Sim Only , however the phone is now playing up and a new is one needed, My current phone is Samsung S4 with voda fone
    Theres so much out there, Ive hammered the internet on phones etc ,
    Most deals seem to be based on data allowance , with the usual free mins & txts thrown in .
    So what style , model of phone are you using , or recommend .
    I have thought of buying a phone outright and going sim only contract ,
    Never had an I Phone , although the wife has had a few , the son left apple as he had numerous problems with I phones, he went to samsung
    The networks are dominated by O2 & Vodafone , however there is other networks out there,
    EE are one, looking for business however reports of there network service not being great are reported on the web .
    Average contract price of £25/£30
    All advice and replies welcome

For what it's worth, I think it is generally best value to buy the phone you want and then buy a sim only package, non contract. If you go apple they tie you in to all their tech which I have found good but expensive. Caveat I might be out of date!

Quote Originally Posted by phatagrova View Post
    Hi Guys such a broad question , but any recommendations on new phones or contracts or networks , My existing contract expired earlier this year and I went Sim Only , however the phone is now playing up and a new is one needed, My current phone is Samsung S4 with voda fone
    Theres so much out there, Ive hammered the internet on phones etc ,
    Most deals seem to be based on data allowance , with the usual free mins & txts thrown in .
    So what style , model of phone are you using , or recommend .
    I have thought of buying a phone outright and going sim only contract ,
    Never had an I Phone , although the wife has had a few , the son left apple as he had numerous problems with I phones, he went to samsung
    The networks are dominated by O2 & Vodafone , however there is other networks out there,
    EE are one, looking for business however reports of there network service not being great are reported on the web .
    Average contract price of £25/£30
    All advice and replies welcome
    Samsung 2 year contract deals at Tesco are absoloutly great value. This is what i use

You can also get a 2 year deal on an Iphone 6s for £35 per month. This is what both my sons use.
    Last edited by kenny007; 31-12-2016 at 06:52 PM.
    Paul White likes this.
    You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you donít try Hidden Content

I have just upgraded from a Samsung S4 to a S7. I'm with o2 and they have an offer on at the Moment. £31 a month.

Maybes look at the provider's coverage in the area you live in /use most ?? They vary quite a bit !!
    Phone is the phone, but if you have no signal................

HNY
    Nick
    ozzyian likes this.

My way of looking at it would be a standard 2 year contract at 30 quid is £720. If you average £15 a month on a sim only non contact, which should buy you loads, you can spend £200 on a handset and still be £110 better off. You are not tied in to a 2 year contract and can get an any network sim or whatever you need as times change.
    Paul White likes this.

I'd be very careful with samsung phones as recently they seem to have had a bit of a habit of exploding, most of us probably charge our phones whilst we sleep which is a trifle worrying..

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Stockybasher View Post
    Maybes look at the provider's coverage in the area you live in /use most ?? They vary quite a bit !!
    Phone is the phone, but if you have no signal................

HNY
    Nick
    This is great advice.

The deal doesn't matter if the coverage where you live is crappola. I made the mistake of assuming (what with the UK being a first world nation and all) that coverage would be adequate and all providers broadly acceptable.

Not so, coverage can be awful (truly awful compared to most countries and much worse than some developing countries) and the providers are having us all over by turning off network switching (allows access to the best signal regardless of provider) -we'd be about the only country I know of that does this.

So yes, take Stockybashers advice and check the providers site tool to check what it's like in the areas you expect to make phone calls - wish I had

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post
    This is great advice.

The deal doesn't matter if the coverage where you live is crappola. I made the mistake of assuming (what with the UK being a first world nation and all) that coverage would be adequate and all providers broadly acceptable.

Not so, coverage can be awful (truly awful compared to most countries and much worse than some developing countries) and the providers are having us all over by turning off network switching (allows access to the best signal regardless of provider) -we'd be about the only country I know of that does this.

So yes, take Stockybashers advice and check the providers site tool to check what it's like in the areas you expect to make phone calls - wish I had
    Indeed coverage is very poor considering the density of population. I believe you can get any network sims that do switch so I expect that dam will burst soon enough. Another reason not to get tied into a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    Indeed coverage is very poor considering the density of population. I believe you can get any network sims that do switch so I expect that dam will burst soon enough. Another reason not to get tied into a contract.
    Yes, I think the phone companies decided from the outset on a 'no cooperation' policy. Result being multiple duplication, resulting in high cost and inadequate coverage.

One of those areas where Govt should have intervened (as I believe they're about to - or threatening to anyway)

Ironically tourists to the UK receive - broadly speaking - acceptable coverage with their European sims while we suffer (they are permitted switching - we're not!!!!) Another little task for you as Minister for Justice (and Retribution) - not the tourists - the phone company bosses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast