Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Loosing fish with shooting heads

Default Loosing fish with shooting heads

Hello

For the last two seasons I have been loosing a fair few fish using a shooting head setup. when I go back to a traditional spey line I seem to land more fish.
    Does anyone else have this problem or do you think it's just coincidence?

Unless you've lost at least 18-20 fish in 100 hookings with shooting heads and are comparing to a sample of similar size of 100 events with full size lines, then you won't be able to draw reliable conclusions. On that basis it look like good old coincidence.
    Eminem likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by spencer View Post
    Hello

For the last two seasons I have been loosing a fair few fish using a shooting head setup. when I go back to a traditional spey line I seem to land more fish.
    Does anyone else have this problem or do you think it's just coincidence?
    Funny you should mention that. I used to fish mainly shooting heads and did loose fish, I have now reverted back to my Spey lines and find that I land more of the fish hooked than I did with the s' heads.

It may well be coincidence but I am sticking with my Spey lines.

I would look at it from a different angle. One reason you might be loosing fish is because of low stretch lines. If your running line for you shooting head is non or low stretch and your Spey lines are not that would explain the difference. Other ideas could be the heads have more water resistance nearer the fly, you are less able to feel what is happening and anticipate the fishes reaction due to thin running line or it's just coincidence!

mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border

I've not noticed much difference but to be fair the sample size isn't as big as it used to be. I've lost some memorable fish on both full Spey lines and shooting heads, laterly as 90% of my fishing is heads in the last four/five years I've had some come off, but no more so than with Spey lines.

I do think the drag caused by a skagit can be significant on a hook hold, but that hook hold will probably go anyway, in fact the head may present a fly more efficiently in any case, so you get the offer you maybe wouldn't have with a Spey line.

Without a couple of anglers of similar skills fishing the same water and hooking say 50 fish each and comparing losses, then I'm afraid it's going to be just anecdotal evidence?
    Bushwhacker and MCXFisher like this.

God disapproves of shooting heads, these are the consequences.
    LISBOA58, NEbody, Piker20 and 4 others like this.

T7

I think heads hook more than Spey lines because you are more likely to be stripping line in at the end of the cast and thus cover more water directly below you. Fish hooked like this often come off.

You are also arguably more likely to be fishing squarer and faster than a full Spey line which again may result in poorer hook holds.

2016 has been my worse ever year for losing fish and judging by the thread I started on it other people have experienced a similar thing, so it could just be the fish for once!
    Last edited by T7; 29-12-2016 at 09:10 AM.

chrishconnolly is online now Trade Member

Default losing fish

I fish a variety of methods over the season but no matter what I do I rarely drop a fish on the fly.

My mate often comments that I am a jammy devil with the fly. I put it down to not rushing when I get a take and letting the fish take at least a couple of turns off the reel before lifting in.

This is also with me predominately fishing square for most of my casting.
    Elibank and Method man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by T7 View Post
    I think heads hook more than Spey lines because you are more likely to be stripping line in at the end of the cast and thus cover more water directly below you. Fish hooked like this often come off.

You are also arguably more likely to be fishing squarer and faster than a full Spey line which again may result in poorer hook holds.

2016 has been my worse ever year for losing fish and judging by the thread I started on it other people have experienced a similar thing, so it could just be the fish for once!
    Yes last year was terrible for loosing fish. It's funny how universal it has been as well. I bet I lost getting on for 20. Normally I loose very few.

The only downside I can see with heads is when the loops are playing in the rod rings and the little bumps could unsettle the hook, other than that its just luck IMO.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast