Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  62
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Taken me a while to find opportunity to sit down and reply to this thread-so 'ere we go!.
    Shooting heads; most if not all are constructed on zero or very low stretch cores as usually is the running line, throw in a fluro carbon leader and the only buffer twixt you and fishee is the rod!
    Secondly;heads fish totally different to full lines, they tend to fish slower and stall far earlier during your planned "swing",they also tend to fish "flee first" and not dragging the flee along slightly behind as a full line does!.
    Important bit now, you've hooked your fish, rods nicely bent and your having big enjoyment playing the fish,all that casting weight in the head is waving about in the air betwixt the long leader and the running line,a slight hook hold-lots of head shakes and out pops the hook!.
    So the flee's moving slower-usually in line downstream of the head, you've got a more direct contact to the flee, the take maybe isn't quite as aggressive,you feel it quicker, tighten up less positively as you've a quite a concentrated weight between you n the fishee and while your playing it that "weight" is bouncing about in the air slowly working the hook out for you! Dosen't take that much thinking about does it?
    I had it happen a lot too in my early forays with shooting heads,I now cast squarer ,lead with the rod point, work the flee more,I lift n tighten more positively,I still cringe on the head shakes!-don't we all- but I try and get the running line back on the reel asap-within sensible considerations of course.
    You'll never land every fish you hook,or even hook all you move and there's so many variables along the way.
    Just my 2p worth, not all the answers I know, merely my reflections on a "scandi " way of fishing.
    Tight lines all,Pedro.
    oh and that Happy New Year thingy 'anall .
    Last edited by Rennie; 01-01-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Not convinced Pedro!

In the pros and cons debate on heads vs speylines one of the issues is the difficulty in mending a head at distance. Certainly you have more scope to mend a spey line. If you've got your eye on the shape of your line and are pretty determined to make sure you are fishing 'head of the fly pointing at you' it's much easier to do so more of the time with a fuller sized line (on bigger water anyway - no difference in small/med rivers)
    Last edited by ozzyian; 01-01-2017 at 11:25 AM.

I find that my losses are usually the first few seconds after the take or close to the end when the heads in the rod and that's usually only when it's a heavy fish so find it hard to equate with the head weight shaking the hook out, but I play fish hard so maybe that minimises the line shaking about, this is just my observation and experience, and I always fish tubes big or small with a free swinging double that usually locates in the top or scissors as a free hook swims with points upwards. As said before there are so many vagaries and opinions.

Sorry folks,I should have put either line just simply cast and left to fish unaided!.But thats how these lines fish.I do find heads very easy to mend, but thats after a lifetime as a coarse match fisherman-that sort of thing is second nature to me, using the head as a big float to guide the flee into the position you want it to be in.I find its not always about fishing a flee fast, if you fish a flee slowly against the current, that also provokes aggressive takes-provided the size is correct and it looks right to Salar.
    Of course if an Angler is switched on as to whats happening then success is more likely to happen as disaster is more likely to be avoided.
    Were everything down to luck, we'd all be Francis Grants,Ashly Coopers,Richard Waddingtons etc.,how ever attention to detail and useful grey matter between the ears helps no end.
    Tight lines all.Pedro.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345