Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Lines?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Lines?

Evening all,

sorry if wrong place to post but looking for a new salmon 10/11 line and the biggest thing I'm struggling to accept is that I can't find any clear lines or at least a multi tip line with clear tips! surely our only option can't be ridiculously bright lines that spook a fish a mile away. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The Rio Scandi Versitip is a very satisfactory setup in my view. The line is very easy to cast. You get a body - that attaches loop-to-loop to a running line that is extra - and 4 15' tips. These are not poly leaders, they are actual tips of weight matched to the body. there is a regular floating, two sink tips of various sink rates, and one clear intermediate. All you need to do is attach a few feet of leader material.

I have used the 10/11 weight on the Naver in March fishing the last few years, and it really covers all the conditions quite well.
    spencer, keirross and Salmogord like this.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default New Vision Ace 'Clear' Float

Quote Originally Posted by spencer View Post
    Evening all,

sorry if wrong place to post but looking for a new salmon 10/11 line and the biggest thing I'm struggling to accept is that I can't find any clear lines or at least a multi tip line with clear tips! surely our only option can't be ridiculously bright lines that spook a fish a mile away. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Vision have a 10/11 42g Clear Float head in their current line up. Supposed to be a low float that sits in the surface. Made by Rio with a similar profile to the Rio Scandi.
    Currently available at Angling active at a discount.
    andrew and spencer like this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

An experiment for you. Take a waterproof compact camera, put it on the end of a selfie stick and place it 3 feet down in a spate river looking upwards at 45 degrees. Float a section of line in the field of view and take the photo. See if you can reliably determine the colour of the line.

Most things in or on top of water viewed from below look black or grey. As a result I am not in the least concerned by the colours of my fly lines.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    An experiment for you. Take a waterproof compact camera, put it on the end of a selfie stick and place it 3 feet down in a spate river looking upwards at 45 degrees. Float a section of line in the field of view and take the photo. See if you can reliably determine the colour of the line.

Most things in or on top of water viewed from below look black or grey. As a result I am not in the least concerned by the colours of my fly lines.
    I think this is about right but it takes a strong commitment to the principal to potentially risk throwing another obstacle into your path!

Do you think a clear line of similar diameter would be any less obtrusive? (I suspect not or very marginally)
    miramichi likes this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post
    I think this is about right but it takes a strong commitment to the principal to potentially risk throwing another obstacle into your path!

Do you think a clear line of similar diameter would be any less obtrusive? (I suspect not or very marginally)
    Years ago I was jigging squid from a dock in Edgartown harbor on Martha's Vineyard preparing for a night of surf casting for striped bass. The man standing next to me and I were both using identical and brand new Japanese squid jigs. He was constantly on to a squid and I was getting none. Show me your jig, he said, and I flipped it over to him. He clipped off the tiny - and I mean tiny - snap that I had connected it with and tied it directly to the line like his, and immediately I matched his catch. I think you want everything possible in your favor: smaller diameter line, lighter tippet, longer leader, quieter landing etc.
    spencer, ozzyian and Loxie like this.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post

It depends on the refractive index of the clear line. Only when it approaches that of water does its clarity deliver much benefit and in any event the core will stand out. Otherwise its diversion of light will make it appear grey from below.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

You could just blackout the first 6ft or so with an indelible pen, its a good confidence booster if nothing else!
    peter
    dave_n likes this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Boost your confidence perhaps, but not the salmon's.

In normal spate river water the ease of detection of objects (and lines) in descending order is black, blue, green.

In spate river water stuff from the red end of the spectrum rapidly becomes grey with depth and distance. In the Findhorn in mid-September at +12" and falling, grey out of bright orange occurs with flies fished 12" deep viewed from a range of 4' 6".
    ozzyian likes this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    Boost your confidence perhaps, but not the salmon's.

In normal spate river water the ease of detection of objects (and lines) in descending order is black, blue, green.

In spate river water stuff from the red end of the spectrum rapidly becomes grey with depth and distance. In the Findhorn in mid-September at +12" and falling, grey out of bright orange occurs with flies fished 12" deep viewed from a range of 4' 6".
    I'm with you on this MCX but I'd just mention that you have a largish variable in there in the use of a digital camera (hope you did anyway as lying on your back 4' down on the river bed with a colour chart would be well in excess of anyones expectations here on the forum)

The analogue input to the charge couple device used in the digital imaging process has an inherently wide range of variables that will effect perceived colour (and of course the medium you viewed it on too - whether printed or viewed on screen). Ie all cameras give different results as do all printing processes and monitors, a further large variable being the light conditions the viewer did the viewing of the results.

I mention this not to undermine your research on colour because you're pretty much spot on I think and it is important to try and demystify some of these puzzles but there are some big variables in the methodology here which would lead to variables in distances and angles as related to the colours observed as stated. Must run I have some underpants to iron.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast