Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Daft Versitips question.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Daft Versitips question.

Hi folks and apologies in advance if this should be in the lines forum (I'm new...!) Line stuff is driving me potty, its like a language all to itself! Question for you guys, I have an 11wt Rio Scandi Versitip setup I picked up in Sweden for a song with an intermediate section on the head. I want to purchase a Rio Skagit Max long head in a 700gr (10wt). Will this be ok to use with my current versitips or will I need to purchase more? Theoretically if the 11wt Versitips were slightly too heavy, would lopping a foot off the back of them even it up? I should add, this is to pair with a Hardy Marksman 2 S 14'6 10wt, its solely for throwing heavy flies on fast sinking tips.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

they will be spot on , enjoy
    When in doubt...exaggerate !!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

asome would say that your rod is not the best choice for a skagit , take it easy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the input, appreciated. What are the likely rod issues with this line as a matter of interest? This is the recommended line via the Rio Line Selector

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

why would you want a skagit line to use with the versi tips when you have a perfectly good line in the SVT,if using heavier tips ie Tungsten T14 etc then i understand but versi tips
    westie4566, mc andy and Salmogord like this.
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi Dexter, primarily for ease of use and also out of interest, I'm a newcomer to this faction of the sport. I struggled with the SVT set up on account of the intermediate section in conjunction with the heavy tips, difficult for a beginner to get to grips with that much line being submerged (it came with S3, S6 and an S8) I have another compact scandi set up with a floating head thats much easier to cast with sink tips but its a little light for loading the rod (38-39g inc tip) so should really be changed. I would like to try a Skagit set up, see how much of a difference there is from a casting perspective etc and the question was being primarily aimed at whether I could get away with just purchasing the head or would I need to change the tips also. If there is the ability in a Skagit set up to use heavier tips then thats great, I'm off back to Sweden in June and they may well be needed. I have several days lessons lined up over the next few months with Glenda on the Blackwater and that in conjunction with a pile of practice may well straighten any issues with my Rio SVT set up but I would like to try the Skagit too.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

You might find the versitips too light with a 700grain skagit and struggle to not rip your anchor. My #9 rod casts a 500 grain inty skagit and t18 tip very easily. Not sure how much the 700grain will be overkill if your rod is a #10??
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldnít be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Tips for skagits really can be a minefield , piker 2o above recommends t18 but doesnt say how long a tip he uses , i personally find t18 a horrible tip weight for ease of casting and presentation in the 15ft tip length that i use .
    Try your vesitips and see how you like them , Db has a point though in that the ssvt is an excellent line that will cast heavy flies .
    got to laugh at mc andy liking DB post , the last few months of the season all i saw him fish was a RIO SKAGIT MAX WITH VESILEADERS ON THE END

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Petekd View Post
    Hi Dexter, primarily for ease of use and also out of interest, I'm a newcomer to this faction of the sport. I struggled with the SVT set up on account of the intermediate section in conjunction with the heavy tips, difficult for a beginner to get to grips with that much line being submerged (it came with S3, S6 and an S8) I have another compact scandi set up with a floating head thats much easier to cast with sink tips but its a little light for loading the rod (38-39g inc tip) so should really be changed. I would like to try a Skagit set up, see how much of a difference there is from a casting perspective etc and the question was being primarily aimed at whether I could get away with just purchasing the head or would I need to change the tips also. If there is the ability in a Skagit set up to use heavier tips then thats great, I'm off back to Sweden in June and they may well be needed. I have several days lessons lined up over the next few months with Glenda on the Blackwater and that in conjunction with a pile of practice may well straighten any issues with my Rio SVT set up but I would like to try the Skagit too.
    Hi Pete my advice to you like any new comer to speycasting with 2hands would be to stick to a floating head whether it be spey line or shootinghead and use polyleaders to gain some depth when needed in the first year of learning the art,sink lines(heavy sink tips)require a differing technique to that of a floating line,its better to have that learning curve and serve it as an apprenticeship before progressing to sinktips and sinkers
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Piker20 View Post
    You might find the versitips too light with a 700grain skagit and struggle to not rip your anchor. My #9 rod casts a 500 grain inty skagit and t18 tip very easily. Not sure how much the 700grain will be overkill if your rod is a #10??

You see, this is where it all gets completely confusing I was only the other day watching a video on here of a lad casting a Shakespeare Oracle Spey, 12' 7-8wt with a 500gr Skagit and Sink tip a country mile (I appreciate this guy is light years away from I in the casting talent stakes!)

Many thanks for the comments folks, I appreciate the advice.
    Fly Boy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast