Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Daft Versitips question.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylong View Post
    Tips for skagits really can be a minefield , piker 2o above recommends t18 but doesnt say how long a tip he uses , i personally find t18 a horrible tip weight for ease of casting and presentation in the 15ft tip length that i use .
    Try your vesitips and see how you like them , Db has a point though in that the ssvt is an excellent line that will cast heavy flies .
    got to laugh at mc andy liking DB post , the last few months of the season all i saw him fish was a RIO SKAGIT MAX WITH VESILEADERS ON THE END

last two trips on the tay. one run through the grain head each trip possibly 40 mins each time.

hardly last two months of the season. fished the multi tips 90% of the time all year.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylong View Post
    the last few months of the season all i saw him fish was a RIO SKAGIT MAX WITH VESILEADERS ON THE END
    27838653sq.jpg
    Good idea.
    AlanT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by troutcontrol View Post
    27838653sq.jpg
    Good idea.
    Can you do an intermediate tip graph
    I can see the point with a S7/S8 but anything lower the SVT is more than capable
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

27839058hp.jpg
    Really thick front end.....
    dexterbuchanan1 likes this.

Petekd,pardon me but I'm slightly confused by your line descriptions.The 11 weight Rio Scandi Versi Tip line is designed to be used with Rio's 15ft versi tips . Now if you've bought the kit it should have a selection of tips that came with it.However its possible you have bought the "belly "alone, if so is it a floating belly, intermediate belly or a sinking belly?.I'm struggling with your description of an intermediate section of the line.Perchance are you fitting one of the 15ft sinking tips to the 15ft intermediate tip?.The lines should only have ONE of the 15ft tips in place, if you're fitting two, that will explain why its troublesome to cast.Correctly rigged it'll fly off that rod!.
    Now if it is a line with an inbuilt intermediate section before you fit the 15ft versi tip,I'd say its not the line that you think it is!
    Another thing to bear in mind is there won't be a huge deal of difference between an SSVT with a type 8 15ft tip and a Skagit with 15ft of T 14 say!,the T 14 will get depth a bit quicker and maybe hold depth in a very heavy flow, but there you go!.
    As far as the Skagit and 15ft tips, well yes it will cast them perfectly fine(as a skagit line is designed to cast heavy tips any way,most T stuff in 15ft or longer lengths is heavier anyway, as you should be using a sustained anchor cast for a skagit system, the tip weights won't matter that much!).
    If you have any packaging for the line,or is there a code printed on one of the loops?.Correct I.D. of your line will help no end.
    Pedro.
    mc andy and brigydon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Petekd,pardon me but I'm slightly confused by your line descriptions.The 11 weight Rio Scandi Versi Tip line is designed to be used with Rio's 15ft versi tips . Now if you've bought the kit it should have a selection of tips that came with it.However its possible you have bought the "belly "alone, if so is it a floating belly, intermediate belly or a sinking belly?.I'm struggling with your description of an intermediate section of the line.Perchance are you fitting one of the 15ft sinking tips to the 15ft intermediate tip?.The lines should only have ONE of the 15ft tips in place, if you're fitting two, that will explain why its troublesome to cast.Correctly rigged it'll fly off that rod!.
    Now if it is a line with an inbuilt intermediate section before you fit the 15ft versi tip,I'd say its not the line that you think it is!
    Another thing to bear in mind is there won't be a huge deal of difference between an SSVT with a type 8 15ft tip and a Skagit with 15ft of T 14 say!,the T 14 will get depth a bit quicker and maybe hold depth in a very heavy flow, but there you go!.
    As far as the Skagit and 15ft tips, well yes it will cast them perfectly fine(as a skagit line is designed to cast heavy tips any way,most T stuff in 15ft or longer lengths is heavier anyway, as you should be using a sustained anchor cast for a skagit system, the tip weights won't matter that much!).
    If you have any packaging for the line,or is there a code printed on one of the loops?.Correct I.D. of your line will help no end.
    Pedro.
    If it's alright with jimmylong I'm going to like your post Rennie
    Last edited by mc andy; 26-12-2016 at 08:58 PM.

Pedro.
    Hi Rennie,

Thanks for your message. I didn't keep the packaging (Doh!) however, reference to an intermediate section comes from the diagram on the box which I thought (and I stand corrected!) that a portion of the head/belly or whatever you want to call it was Intermediate. It is entirely possible that I misinterpreted the diagram/info on the box and the whole thing is intermediate. I most certainly didn't put 2 tips on I have only tried this set up once and that was with the Sink 8 versi tip (its the only one I tied a loop on) and I didn't like it at all, the compact scandi set up with floating head flew out in comparison to it but its worth noting that that trip was the first time I had used sink tips and it was a very steep learning curve! I will most certainly give this another try and see can I get it to work better with a bit more practise. Picture of the set up is below. They were on offer at daft money (I think about the equivalent of 40) in the tackle shop at Jockfall in Sweden so no biggie if it doesn't suit.Rio Pic.jpg

Looking at your photo Petekd,you have the type 3/4 sinking Scandi body which sinks at 3 to 4 inches per sec.The tips you have are the, yellow looped sinking tip type 3-4,grey looped sinker 6-7 and green looped 8-9 sinker.In order to cast this line, first you'll have to roll it up onto the surface as even with the lightest sinking tip in place its still a fast sinker!,in fact its a sinking sink tip!.You can buy the floating body and intermediate and floating tips which will let you utilise the tips you already have and along with the intermediate body give you a versatile useful line system for just about every occasion.
    I'd recommend the floating body,I use this type of line and tips a lot, its tremendously versatile!
    Hope that helps,Pedro.Best of luck with it.
    Piker20 likes this.

Looking at your photo Petekd,you have the type 3/4 sinking Scandi body which sinks at 3 to 4 inches per sec.The tips you have are the, yellow looped sinking tip type 3-4,grey looped sinker 6-7 and green looped 8-9 sinker.In order to cast this line, first you'll have to roll it up onto the surface as even with the lightest sinking tip in place its still a fast sinker!,in fact its a sinking sink tip!.You can buy the floating body and intermediate and floating tips which will let you utilise the tips you already have and along with the intermediate body give you a versatile useful line system for just about every occasion.
    I'd recommend the floating body,I use this type of line and tips a lot, its tremendously versatile!
    Hope that helps,Pedro.Best of luck with it.
    Thanks for the help Rennie.

ha, bet your heed is busted now. toooo much info does that. if your rod can load the line. it takes different effort as to whether its floating line with sink, int or floating leader. which also has the same effect with a sink or int line. similarly with heavy tube fly or a size 10 double to make the cast. take the casting lessons and work the rest out to suit your own stile. the best lessons learned are by experience. theres a 101 ways to get it right but theres a million and one ways to get it wrong. fly fishing isnt a sport or a game, its a way of life......ask any poor down trodden fly fishermans wife or husband. was being PC there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast