Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sneakypeter

Thread: Anyone have any ideas on this?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Anyone have any ideas on this?

The news item which this link refers to had me questioning whether or not I had heard of similar happenings in the British Isles.

Fish washed up on Marazion beach in Cornwall - BBC News

I could find nothing, but I was reminded of the recent theory regarding Scottish whale beachings being possibly related to explosions of weapons being tested at sea in the area causing the whales to loose their navigational system.

This led me to wonder whether the same testing & training work may be reeking havoc with our salmon stocks at sea! Far fetched, but just plausible. Any ideas?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Disgusting if it were to be Trawlers dumping their over sized quota! the only logical explanation is these Super Trawlers dumping if the Authoroties were on their backs for quota's, if it were pollution a lot more different fish species would be effected. Doubt the fact that 3-4 different fish species decided to beach themselves unless they were cross bread with lemmings.....
    Fly Fishing & Rugby a Marriage made in Heaven.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The article goes on to suggest these are a result of ring netters releasing part of their catch due to overloaded nets, the bulk of which die!
    Not a sustainable practice, but potentially a choice between life and death for the fishermen! Maybe a net size restriction might be in order, if you can catch far more than its possible for you to handle, then something needs to change, crazy !!!!!!
    peter
    Andy R likes this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Previous instances of big shoals of fish, often herring, washed onto beaches have been attributed to oxygen depletion caused by the size of the shoal. Strange but true - there have been many such incidents over the years. The massive shoaling habit of the three species involved here makes me wonder if this might have been the cause rather than a human intervention.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by TonyPrior View Post
    Previous instances of big shoals of fish, often herring, washed onto beaches have been attributed to oxygen depletion caused by the size of the shoal. Strange but true - there have been many such incidents over the years. The massive shoaling habit of the three species involved here makes me wonder if this might have been the cause rather than a human intervention.
    Oxy depletion's a new one! - no doubt exarcerbated by [strike through] pan-galactic catabolicical global temp series. Ehrlich got it right, up there with Hansen and Maurice Strong.

Can see it now: BBC: "Sudden mass stranding of pilchards devastates hopes for early Brexit".

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ive been fishing for cod on a suffolk beach an seen thousands of sprats washed up ,these fish were alive ! ve no idea of the cause the only thing of note was that it was a rough sea after a storm . i took home as many as i could. ive also seen a mass beaching of live shrimps ,in that case it was a dead calm evening an i would say they were escaping from a predator an had literally been chased onto the beach

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Looking at the picture,its a mix of Mackerel and Herring.
    Probably been dumped at sea by a Seine netter.
    This is my fishing rod!.
    There are many like it but this one is mine.
    Without me,my rod is useless!.
    Without my rod,i am useless!.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Looking at the picture,its a mix of Mackerel and Herring.
    Probably been dumped at sea by a Seine netter.
    Almost certainly the explanation.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews