Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Terrace 2016/2017

Default Terrace 2016/2017

I've just moved from Lancashire to Terrace, BC and thought I might post some reports periodically on this thread as I get to know the fishing a little better.

We arrived on 30th October and I think my partner would have killed me if I'd tried to go fishing in the first couple of weeks with all the work we had to do moving into our new place! By the time I was free to go in mid November, torrential rain blew out all the rivers until the last week in November.

As I write, we're in the middle of a prolonged cold spell with day time temperatures between -7 and -11 forecast to last for another week.

In between those weather fronts was around a 10 day period when fishing was possible if you didn't mind risking your extremities for the possibility of a fish! I managed three trips in that time, all unguided, up the Copper River. The first two trips, the river was on its bones, running a glacial green with visibility of around 10 feet. On the third trip a little snow melt had raised the river and coloured it ever so slightly.

The Copper really is a special place to fish. Picking your way down a run with eagles flying overhead, surrounded by snow and mist covered mountains is a magical experience.

My first trip was a blank, as was a my third apart from a solitary dolly varden. However, I broke my duck on the second trip down a beautiful boulder filled tail out when an 8lb hen fish took solidly near the far bank. It put up far more of a scrap than it had any right to with the heavy gear I was using. It was a special moment and one I was still dwelling on about four casts later when I suddenly found myself attached to a 10lb cock fish which I was also fortunate enough to land.

We're still waiting for our container with all our stuff in (including my camera) so I'm limited to photos from my iPhone at the moment. If I can figure out how to post a couple of photos I will. Neither steelhead was keen to hang around for a proper photo but I did get one of the back of the cock fish immediately before he decided he was late for appointment elsewhere and probably shouldn't stick around!

Merry Christmas,

T.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
    I've just moved from Lancashire to and thought I might post some reports periodically on this thread as I get to know the fishing a little better.

Merry Christmas,

T.

What a good start to your steel heading career! It will be good to read your further adventures and also to see pics. Hope your goods arrive safely and in good condition and in time for Christmas. [When I moved from Ireland, BR lost the container for 6 weeks by hiding it in a siding at Crewe!]

Hope that you and your Partner have a good and happy Christmas in your new home.

Thanks Castor!

I look forward to your reports , well done on the dream move and hope all goes well .
    JJ and TommyC like this.

Default Lucky man

What a place to live, the Copper and Kittimat so close,who needs the Skenna.Found a great place for Kings in June on the the Kittimat,think it's called Cable car,your side of Kittimat town.If you don't know it ,try and make some time for this spot,that's if you can drag yourself away from the Copper.Looking forward to your post,Lucky man.
    TommyC likes this.

Lancashire to Terrace,BC..Why the move??
    TommyC likes this.
    Piscator Non Solum Piscatur

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    Lancashire to Terrace,BC..Why the move??
    Can't imagine!
    castor, Eminem, TommyC and 1 others like this.

I remember when every man and his dog didn't fish the Copper. Then came Youtube..........
    seeking and TommyC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Handel View Post
    Can't imagine!
    Do you know why do you??
    Piscator Non Solum Piscatur

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    Do you know why do you??
    No but I can imagine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast