• 1 Post By Bradan_eire_alba
  • 1 Post By doubletaper
  • 10 Post By Wafty Cranker

Thread: Hibernation

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Hibernation

Although not strictly a hunting/shooting topic, here goes-

I trap a few grey squirrels in live-catch devices all year round, as we are lucky to have a sustainable population of red squirrels around here. I remember being told when I was young that squirrels hibernated in winter, but long ago realised that one was a complete myth.
    One of the by-product, or accidental captures that I encounter in my traps is hedgehogs. We have a goodly amount of them around here. But, all my Nature books and publications still insist that hedgehogs hibernate with the onset of cold weather.
    Here in northern Cumbria we have had many sharp frosty nights this autumn/winter. Probably about 15 hard frosts already (last winter we had about 4 frosts in total). Oddly though, twice in the last week I have caught (and released) hedgehogs on my ground-set traps. Both times the temperature was well below freezing.
    Just wondering what folk think?
    castor and Handel like this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I think they are still awake cos they are awaiting the Autumn run of salmon to stock their freezer before they go to beddy byes
    westie4566 likes this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

You should set bigger traps for badgers .
    HAPPINESS IS A ROD IN YER HAND..........Hidden Content

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Well done with trying to keep the grey squirrels at bay. The best of luck with that great work.
    doubletaper likes this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Not seen my Hedgehog since the first frost this year, looked fat enough then. Can't be Cheshire Hedgehogs have more to nibble down here so can go to sleep earlier can it?? ( well done with the squirrels , there a real pain down here & keep nibbling my bird feeders to pieces ( rat with a tail & cause to much destruction to native wildlife in my book )
    Bradan_eire_alba likes this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

My resident red's never seem to hibernate, very few greys round my area, good work on the controlling of them.

Couple of pics of my wee pals

When i read about the perils of drinking whisky..............................i gave up reading!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Good work on controlling the greys. Wish we had reds round here. No chance.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

WC

What fine pics of your Reds! We have a fair few hereabouts, but it is a constant battle to keep the greys down. We have fairly robust and active members in our local Red Squirrel group, and our local council thankfully allows us to trap on some of their land where reds are present.
    We also have a high (I think) density of hedgehogs. I make woodpiles for them, they bred well again this past season…. I regularly see 3 or so at the same time on summer nights, and that is just on the back lawn. Their favourite treat is a dead wood pigeon, which they eat from the rear end, upwards! In days of old, gamekeepers used to kill them, for game bird egg taking (especially grey partridge). I even wrongly suspected them of seriously damaging my lawn…. until I found out it was old Brock.