Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By happy days
  • 1 Post By ClydeFash
  • 1 Post By Rrrr

Thread: Shimano Baitrunner

Default Shimano Baitrunner

Apologies if this is a dumb question but what does "Baitrunner" mean and what are the pros and cons for using one when worm fishing

It means the spool can be set to run free with an adjustable drag on it so the fish can take bait and swim with it with little or no resistance
    Headford Boy and salarchaser like this.

Great reel !!
    Headford Boy likes this.

As happy days says there is a lever on the rear that lets the spool spin free. When you turn the handle itl click off and lock the spool up and so you can play the fish on the drag. I dont use one for salmon but use them for coarse fishing with a feeder as sometimes if a carp hooks itself and you arent paying attention itl rip the rod off the rest and possibly into the water.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Headford Boy likes this.

Alot of the time the baitrunner is never used it adds weight to the reel aswell acdecentvspinning reel is sometimes better

Quote Originally Posted by Jura30 View Post
    Alot of the time the baitrunner is never used it adds weight to the reel aswell acdecentvspinning reel is sometimes better
    I agree, I've used both bait runners and just good quality spinning reels (Shimano et al.) and much prefer the spinning reel (I've found rear drag better)
    check out my fishing blog @ Hidden Content