Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  276
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post
    There are a couple of fringe players that could get their hands on a nett tariff profit out of the UK in the event of a bilateral imposition.

In reverse order

Croatia
    Estonia
    Bulgaria
    Malta
    Luxembourg
    Ireland

Alongside the UK these countries stand to profit if tariffs are introduced - Ireland by quite a lot (1 to 1 1/2 Billion I would think based on 10 - 15% tariffs. Fe ck! that is a lot for them - 300 odd per head of population)

If I were the Irish EU contingent, mightily p!ssed off with Irelands crippling EU debt that was forced down their throats (on pretty shabby terms) I'd be rubbing my hands together in glee.

They have the ability to badly damage Germany's economy if they choose by vetoing a tariff deal.

Looking at this, there's no ways of maintaining tariff free trade in Europe, not a chance, too many vested interests. Unless............ some sneaky little sweetheart deal is thrown to the above countries by Brussels! But who would pay for that dodgy buy off? Perhaps Turkey will be European sooner than we thought and we'll see a new Mercedes in every 3rd driveway in Ankara - it might keep the whole mess going for a couple more years.
    I can't see a free trade agreement anytime soon, but when you look at who gains most I suspect we will see a fudge.

Another interesting piece on the Brexit demographic divide , this time from the LSE

EUROPP – Don’t mention this around the Christmas table: Brexit, inequality and the demographic divide

This largely contradicts the Rowntree and Ashcroft conclusions that remainers were somehow making a smarter decision.

This LSE study uses expanded reasoning to edge back from from those conclusions. Instead it makes the assertion that 'class' and age are the actual underlying factors influencing direction of vote rather than education as such.

Figure 5 could easily be said to demonstrate that support to stay was (is) largest in areas where crippling mortgage debt combined with a Government fear campaign caused the irrational fear of bankruptcy through mortgage delinquency no?

i found the age bit very interesting an not surprising ,my 3 kids ,all under 25 went to countless debates on the issue an made up their own mind ,they have also been through school an uni with lots of european migrants so they never saw immigration as an issue ,more as something old people moan about without looking at facts .another thing i gleaned from them an their friends is that whilst they might watch an read the news they dont actually believe a word of it ! an certainly take no notice of what any politician has to say .
    i might not agree with their stance but it was an eye opener for me an should be for politicians ,theres a whole generation coming up who will not listen to politicians or the media ,which is going to make them difficult to control

Quote Originally Posted by Reeboker View Post
    i found the age bit very interesting an not surprising ,my 3 kids ,all under 25 went to countless debates on the issue an made up their own mind ,they have also been through school an uni with lots of european migrants so they never saw immigration as an issue ,more as something old people moan about without looking at facts .another thing i gleaned from them an their friends is that whilst they might watch an read the news they dont actually believe a word of it ! an certainly take no notice of what any politician has to say .
    i might not agree with their stance but it was an eye opener for me an should be for politicians ,theres a whole generation coming up who will not listen to politicians or the media ,which is going to make them difficult to control
    And I would say the world will be all the better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeboker View Post
    It's a big change isn't it, my parents tend to believe what a tory govt tells them! (they're more susceptible to various telephone frauds too) I'm older than your children but I question everything I hear from someone trying to promote an idea by asking 'I wonder why they're telling me this?!!' Sad really!

yes i thought it quite encouraging that the young are not quite as dim as they look or sometimes act an maybe its me an people my age that are . my eldest to prove a point asked me to monitor bbc news reports on putin v usa, an corbyn and to prove her point see how often they are reported in a positive vs negative . it was once again an eye opener an christmas dinner this year should be fun

My granddaughter is studying History and Politics at York Uni. and has a totally different political view to mine, admiring politicians like Maggie, having no experience of her actions. Say no more. But there is one thing we agree on and that was to vote leave in the EU referendum and she did so along with a large number of students at the Uni. This info made me think of the propaganda at the time that most young people under 25 would vote to stay. Maybe that stat was wrong as well as the poles telling us that the leave campaign would not win the vote.
    Merry Christmas everyone and tight lines for 2017.

Default out hopefully

its like this im glad were going to leave or hopefully leave i dont really want to voice my reasons here as i may get branded as a "something" what i do know is this our government and all others world wide hate the citizens, and most of the public ain't what yer would call keen on them either,they sit there in parlement making new laws and making life even more difficult than it already, they give them selves massive pay rises and give the public siht all guided from the E/U,ITS ABOUT TIME WE THE PEOPLE who really matter, the back bone of brittain had our say and make our demands cos lets face it, things ain't working in our favour,we let them gaol ppl for petty crimes and they let public figures off the hook whats that about,they have their own laws like ammunity why are they different,well lots of folks in the USA are thanking the uk for the first move as they call it,lets wait and see what happens,we are the uk we will be alright no matter what yer political beliefs are,but what i do know is this WE need to be heard not ignored,this is our country we have our trad values and have been a nation of ppl who don't take any s**t from anyone, but over the yrs since the thatcher yrs { and i liked maggie} we all become weak and dumbed down its wake up time and stop letting organisations and bent politicans with the wrong intent look after our needs,we as people could look after ourselves easy enough its just we ain't ready to do that yet or if we are we don't know how to achieve the said result.
    "Don't hate the black, don't hate the white,if you get bitten just hate the bite"

I became quite breathless reading that

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627