Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Alf's Adventures and Aspirations

Default Alf's Adventures and Aspirations

I wanted to start a new thread about Alf and his training.Some of you might find it of interest if you're into shooting dogs and it might be of some help if you're training your own dog.
    Alf will be 5 months old in October and is out of FTW Brocklebank Marsh of Liverycroft,sired by FTCh Waysgreen Barracuda.His owner is one of the forum members "Stuckinlondon" and I'm training Alf for him as a Peg/Picking Up Dog.
    20160928_170210.jpg
    Alf is a smart little dog.He's a quick learner and because of that he's out everyday doing some sort of basic training as well as having abit of fun along the way.
    I've never been a big believer in waiting for a dog to reach 7 or 8 months old before starting formal training.If a dogs up for it then let him get on with it as long as theres no serious pressure on them and its all done in fun and its seen as a bit of a game.
    He walks nicely on the lead already but the real heel work hasn't begun yet.That will come later when his concentration span has improved.At the moment all he wants to do is play and have a bit of fun.
    A Labradors raison d'etre is to retrieve and at the end of the day thats what he has been bred to do but as well as retrieving he must be able to hunt because without hunting he won't always find his retrieve so hunting is something I always try an encourage.
    Throwing a ball or dummy in some light cover,long grass or rushes will make them hunt rather than throwing it out on some short grass where its easily seen and picked but I do both so it gives the dog some variation.
    Going out on a retrieve looks smarter if its done in a straight line and its easier to give a dog a direction if he has a straight line to follow.
    If you throw a ball or dummy down the line of a fence or hedgerow he'll naturally take a straight line out and a straight line back.
    20160928_171213.jpg
    20160928_171218.jpg
    This is a great little exercise for them to do and if they are a natural retriever which not all dogs are they find it fun but I don't over do it.Little and often is the secret to keeping them keen.
    A good fuss when he comes back with his retrieve is something you should always do and in turn it means he will really get to like coming back to you weather he has something in his gob or not.
    I haven't done any recall with him as such as it all kind of comes naturally or it should do if the dogs loves being with you.If you don't make a fuss of him on his return then he won't see much reason to come back so make sure he has a reason to come back to you.
    For now then its just fun.In a few weeks he'll be starting on sitting and staying properly but in a round about way he's doing that already as all the dogs sit on a bench in the garage when I'm doing the kennels which is something I insist that they do.
    Alf picked it up pretty quick as he just follows the other dogs into the garage and they all jump up.
    Here he is with his mates...More to follow.
    20160928_175215.jpg
    20160928_175034.jpg
    Last edited by simon grace; 30-09-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    Clydebuilt, ibm59, castor and 25 others like this.
    Piscator Non Solum Piscatur

Well done Simon

Brilliant simon look forward to the next episode

A really good idea for a thread, sadly 6 yrs too late for me and my badly trained dog. I was particularly taken by your reasoning around recall. My dog must really hate me. Only joking, I think he respects me- top dog if you like- but he would rather be "over there" chasing rabbits!
    westie4566 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennachie View Post
    I think he respects me- top dog if you like- but he would rather be "over there" chasing rabbits!
    If you have a dog from a pup and you've spent real quality time bonding with it then that dog should look to you for everything.When it looks at you he should melt you with his eyes and to him you are his whole world.
    Sounds nice doesnt it but its not always like that.Sometimes you have to concentrate on the re-call exercise and put plenty of time into doing it.
    If there is only one thing you ever teach your dog to do properly and do it everytime then let the re-call be it!!!
    Last edited by simon grace; 29-09-2016 at 09:36 PM.
    Piscator Non Solum Piscatur

Aye.......I wasn't able to spend much time with one of my dogs when she was young and consequently she often has a weird sense of direction when it comes to recall.....she has a habit of flicking a very stylish V sign when she disappears into the next Parish

He's a beaut.
    Looking forward to this thread.
    "You don't fish for fish, you fish for fishin" MacGyver.

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    I wanted to start a new thread about Alf and his training.Some of you might find it of interest if you're into shooting dogs and it might be of some help if you're training your own dog.
    Alf will be 5 months old in October and is out of FTW Brocklebank Marsh of Liverycroft,sired by FTCh Waysgreen Barracuda.
    20160928_170210.jpg
    Alf is a smart little dog.He's a quick learner and because of that he's out everyday doing some sort of basic training as well as having abit of fun along the way.
    I've never been a big believer in waiting for a dog to reach 7 or 8 months old before starting formal training.If a dogs up for it then let him get on with it as long as theres no serious pressure on them and its all done in fun and its seen as a bit of a game.
    He walks nicely on the lead already but the real heel work hasn't begun yet.That will come later when his concentration span has improved.At the moment all he wants to do is play and have a bit of fun.
    A Labradors raison d'etre is to retrieve and at the end of the day thats what he has been bred to do but as well as retrieving he must be able to hunt because without hunting he won't always find his retrieve so hunting is something I always try an encourage.
    Throwing a ball or dummy in some light cover,long grass or rushes will make them hunt rather than throwing it out on some short grass where its easily seen and picked but I do both so it gives the dog some variation.
    Going out on a retrieve looks smarter if its done in a straight line and its easier to give a dog a direction if he has a straight line to follow.
    If you throw a ball or dummy down the line of a fence or hedgerow he'll naturally take a straight line out and a straight line back.
    20160928_171213.jpg
    20160928_171218.jpg
    This is a great little exercise for them to do and if they are a natural retriever which not all dogs are they find it fun but I don't over do it.Little and often is the secret to keeping them keen.
    A good fuss when he comes back with his retrieve is something you should always do and in turn it means he will really get to like coming back to you weather he has something in his gob or not.
    I haven't done any recall with him as such as it all kind of comes naturally or it should do if the dogs loves being with you.If you don't make a fuss of him on his return then he won't see much reason to come back so make sure he has a reason to come back to you.
    For now then its just fun.In a few weeks he'll be starting on sitting and staying properly but in a round about way he's doing that already as all the dogs sit on a bench in the garage when I'm doing the kennels which is something I insist that they do.
    Alf picked it up pretty quick as he just follows the other dogs into the garage and they all jump up.
    Here he is with his mates...More to follow.
    20160928_175215.jpg
    20160928_175034.jpg
    He's growing at some speed Simon, I'm sure you'll make a cracking dog out of him
    I'm looking forward to seeing him in a couple of weeks time when I get back from holiday .........

Love it !
    Looking forward to the next update !

Shake a leg , Simon.
    westie4566 likes this.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast