Thread: Alf's Adventures and Aspirations

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    Shake a leg , Simon.
    Will do Brian..This weekend.
    westie4566 likes this.
    Piscator Non Solum Piscatur

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    Will do Brian..This weekend.
    Not interested in your social activities , just looking for photos of the new dug
    simon grace and westie4566 like this.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    This week Brian.Had a really busy couple of weeks just gone.
    ibm59 and stuckinlondon like this.

That little dog looks so like mine when he was young....a bloody great tongue lolling out of his mouth in the last pic!!

Paul
    Last edited by Paul White; 14-11-2016 at 05:05 PM.
    stuckinlondon likes this.

Default Still Having Fun

Alfs not taking life to seriously at the moment.He likes a good run about and enjoys a root around in the bushes but he never goes to far away or should I say he's never allowed to go to far away.That said we are doing some training but its basic stuff but the basic stuff is what the basis of gundog training is all about.Even when he's fully trained there will be many times when he'll go back to basics.
    Andy Murray doesnt just excel in his back hand he will always keep himself on top of his game by practicing his basic strokes and the same applies to gundog training.
    Lets start with what he's quite good at and thats walking to heel.

20161115_092344.jpg

Any dog thats not used to walking on a lead with pull and tug and will be all over the place running between your legs and generally fooling around but with some patience and a bit of instruction they soon get used to walking at a pace dictated by the handler.
    When Alf got used to the lead we then started to get things smartened up so he would walk fast when I walk fast,walk slowly when I walk slowly and also to sit by my side when I stop walking altogether.
    The figure of 8 walk is my prefered method for heel training.He already sits when he's asked to and a short pip on the whistle is accompanied by the verbal command to "sit" along with a hand signal that being holding my hand up with the command to sit.He's good at that and pays attention to it.
    The figure of 8 means when Alf is walking on my left hand side I walk in a large figure of 8 which means left and right hand turns.The idea is to get him to take notice of which way he's going and not double guess what my next move is.Left,right,stop and sit.Then doing the same again asking him to heel at regular intervals to hammer home what it means.
    It can get a bit tedious so its not something that needs overdoing as the last thing you want to do is have the dog getting bored so in between this fig of 8 routine we have been incorporating some sitting and staying.
    Again this is something that takes time and patience but over the last couple of weeks and we've built up some distance between us.

20161115_093235.jpg

He likes to keep his eye on me which is a very good thing but to build up his confidence I often walk behind a tree or a fence where I can see him but he cant see me.
    Again the secret is to walk back to him and give him a big fuss for staying where he is and gradually building up from a couple of feet away to 100+ yards.

20161115_093307.jpg

I can stand there watching him and I can tell he's thinking where the hell has he gone!! Then he might just raise his bottom off the floor with a little uncertainty but a blast on the whistle and a verbal "Sit" and down it goes again.It develops this magic link between us both where he knows that whatever he's doing I'm still watching him like a hawk.
    It's a good little exersise and one you can build on to the extent that when eventually he will be on a shoot sat at a peg his handler can leave him sat there while he goes has a natter or a smoke with the guy at the next peg or disappear around the back of a bush for a nervous pee before the drive starts.But the dog will always be sat right where he's been told to and it catches the eye of the other guns too because they wish they could have a dog like Alf.
    He's a good retriever and we're still doing the straight line stuff but his delivery needs brushing up but plenty of time for that.
    20161115_093100.jpg
    Clydebuilt, ibm59, octopus and 3 others like this.

Nice post Simon

Nice dog! I like him. And they are just kids at that age.

Well done Simon, I'm delighted!

I'll be up to see the both of you soon, hopefully before Xmas

We'll no doubt speak soon
    simon grace likes this.

Though my neck is now ****** looking at everything sideways ....
    salarchaser likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast