Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Beginners Advice

Hi guys,

Recently had a strong urge to take up photography as a new hobby. Mainly for landscape shots and some portraits. What equipment would you recommend for a complete novice (decent camera, lenses ect.)? And any additional tips will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tom

Do a bit of research on what you'll think you need then buy the best you can afford.

There are some very good used and reconditioned camera bodies and lenses available for a lot less than RRP.

No matter what you buy, take time and learn how to use it. when I bought my Nikon D5000 about 6 years ago, I bought the book 'Nikon D5000 for Dummies'. Couldn't ask for a better starting point with the camera well explained and when to use whatever features etc.

Then get out and take photos.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

I would go for a basic SLR with full manual controls camera if you want to learn about Photography.

You can go secondhand but to be honest, even the cheapest from the main manufacturers (Canon, Nikon etc) perhaps bought in a kit with a lens or two are perfectly good cameras.

There is lots online about Photography, stacks of books and depending where you live your local college might run adult classes in the evening in Photography.

Just be aware, the picture comes from you not the camera and the lens is more important than the camera body.

A great hobby, enjoy.

Until recently our village postmaster and shopkeeper was a Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society. Some years ago, when my wife was looking for a serious camera to give me for a major birthday, she sought his advice, which I reproduce below.

"The best camera in the world is the one that you have with you. Portability has a virtue all of its own."

As a result my wife gave me a Canon G11, which is a super-compact with most of the features of a good SLR and a great lens. It's no longer made but there are several equivalents in the market. It has provided a wonderful introduction to serious photography in a (large) pocket sized package.

There are many good photo forums Tom. Many have excellent beginners advice or sections. Have a look at them?

Here for example

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1002

Agree with MCX, a good compact is a great way into photography.
    Shove it in your pocket and take it everywhere you go, always be ready for that photo of a lifetime.
    Progress onto SLR at a later date if you feel the need.
    Canon, Nikon take a bit of beating IMO.

Good luck

Compacts are great for taking photographs but to LEARN about photography, I would go for a beginners SLR with full manual controls.

Up to you of course.

newfly Guest

One advantage of using an SLR is that you can add filters such as circular polarising which can greatly enhance the picture and a neutral density filter to give you creative effects when photographing running water etc.

newfly Guest

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...bF1GXoCA-DA-7i

If you have plenty of spare time then this is informative.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast