Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  305
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rugby Page

Quote Originally Posted by Darra O'Connell View Post
    Williams swaps Scarlets for Saracens:

Williams swaps Scarlets for Saracens | Planetrugby.com : Planetrugby.com

Another Pro12 Player off to the Premiership....
    See what I mean!? English & French clubs have the cash to do as they please. There's no loyalty anymore it's just a game where blokes earn as much as they can (nothing wrong per se with that). What gets me is that we've now got Agents getting involved in a far bigger way and they don't give a toss about anything. The sport means sod-all to them.

What happened to the good old days where a Welsh or English player would no more cross the Severn than fly to the moon? Much better games too!

Disillusioned

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul White View Post
    See what I mean!? English & French clubs have the cash to do as they please. There's no loyalty anymore it's just a game where blokes earn as much as they can (nothing wrong per se with that). What gets me is that we've now got Agents getting involved in a far bigger way and they don't give a toss about anything. The sport means sod-all to them.

What happened to the good old days where a Welsh or English player would no more cross the Severn than fly to the moon? Much better games too!

Disillusioned

Paul
    If he was Scottish, Welsh, Irish he played for London Irish/Scottish/Welsh (unless I'm mistaken there is also London Cornish & French teams as well!)

However to throw a spanner in the works Maurice Calclough played for Swansea & John Scott played and indeed captained Cardiff. Both played well for their respective clubs.
    Now who wants to know why John Scott came to Cardiff????
    Cheers
    Aled
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

Quote Originally Posted by Paul White View Post
    If that's true about Bath going after Russell then it's just one more sign that RU is becoming a poor man's soccer

Blackadder is a good bloke who gets involved with grass roots, but this smacks of Bruce Craig and his ego. Word on the street is that he's behind the unrest at Bath (again!!).

On a general note, I cannot believe that players can talk/sign with other clubs during the season and carry on playing for a club they are leaving! It's happening with Ford, it happened with Cipriani at Sale etc. If a player is playing for a club against his "new club" who are in danger of say, missing the Play-offs, then what's to stop him trying to "throw" the game, especially a fly-half?

What with the new tackle laws and scrum debacle, as well as the money issues, RU is in danger of losing a lot of support. Me included, as if that mattered!

I'm fast becoming an England supporter and nothing else.

Paul
    Think it probably is true, Bath being one of four clubs sniffing around according to the newspaper.

In the article Townsend went on to describe that the weekend of Glasgows impressive performance against Racing 92 last year they discovered Racing officials trying (successfully) to meet with Nakawara in the team hotel. That was with a year odd to go on the contract and waving a salary around of multiple times his Glasgow one. Of course, after Dave Dentons extremely good RWC he was bought out of his contract as well (you know by who)

It's a very bad situation. Clubs like Glasgow are real focal points for rugby in Scotland, what they do for development here and for the Scottish rugby community in general is absolutely fantastic, they also recruit extremely well and bring in total unknowns who often (Nakawara and Matawalu for example) are developed into world class players.

This is all done the hard way - not much money just hard work and dedication by the club and staff and for cashed up clubs to take the benefit is one thing (can't be avoided without salary caps) but for them to turn up a year and half before the players contract expires is something totally different. As you say Paul it's against the ethos and the start of a very nasty trend that needs to be nipped in the bud. In the case of Russell he says he wants to stay and isn't interested in the distractions. However, how much of that is down to the SRU making it clear that he won't be released early I wouldn't like to say. As for the player I would imagine he would be worth 2 to 4 times his current salary to a cash rich (but development programme poor) French or English club.

Quote Originally Posted by Aled View Post
    If he was Scottish, Welsh, Irish he played for London Irish/Scottish/Welsh (unless I'm mistaken there is also London Cornish & French teams as well!)

However to throw a spanner in the works Maurice Calclough played for Swansea & John Scott played and indeed captained Cardiff. Both played well for their respective clubs.
    Cheers
    Aled
    I would love to know why Scotty went to Cardiff. I lost track of John after he left Exeter. I played with him at Exeter College and Exeter and also in the county schools side.
    He was a very talented sportsman and could have played professionally for Exeter City . He was a great basketball player as well as appearing in the national schools athletics final throwing the discus. I belief he was also a county schools cricketer. He was or still is the youngest ever England trialist at 17. I watched his first county game for Devon v Gloucestershire at the county ground . He stole a ball from Dave Watt at 2 in the line out early in the game . The second line out wasn't so good for him as he ended up in a heap and was very slow to get up. The rest of the line outs went with the throw.
    I'm biased but I feel he should have gone with the Lions to New Zealand. He was just the player for the conditions out there as Paxton and Beatty ,great players , were more suited to firmer grounds.
    I have quite a few stories about the days at Exeter College. but what goes on tour stays on tour.
    colin.

Quote Originally Posted by Darra O'Connell View Post
    Williams swaps Scarlets for Saracens:

Williams swaps Scarlets for Saracens | Planetrugby.com : Planetrugby.com

Another Pro12 Player off to the Premiership....
    He is at least going to the best team in Europe.

And in his case Cherchez la femme!

Cheers
    Aled
    There is a London club for a whole lot more, London Nigerians were very successful for a while.

And there are now 2 London Irish clubs playing only two league levels apart at levels 2 and 4.

When I played for Llandaff RFC in Cardiff John Scott was the guest speaker at our end of season dinner.(he was very good by the way) He said he came to Cardiff to play for the Barbarians one weekend: During that weekend: He got laid on Friday, Got laid on Saturday, and got laid on Sunday......so he came (excuse the pun) to Cardiff to live. Whether his tongue was firmly in cheek (excuse second pun) I don't know but he got a laugh from us. He also said that when he was captain of England on tour in Australia Rothmans gave him 2000 cigarettes (rugby players smoked in those days!), provided he put a Rothmans packet on the table every time he was interviewed on TV.
    I had a chat with him afterwards as he used to play for Teignmouth, a team I played against many times whilst in Plymouth Poly.
    Sorry to say I can only just remember the LIons tour of NZ, I do remember Scotty playing well for Cardiff.
    Cheers
    Aled

Sam Warburton has officially stood down as Wales captain....So lets see what happens next!
    Sam Underhill is joining Bath that is very good news for England.
    Owain Williams is joining Gloucester which is not quite what I hoped for as I want to see him play for Wales!! (Will England grab him, will he play for England a Welsh speaking Welshman like him?)
    Cheers
    Aled
    Last edited by Aled; 11-01-2017 at 12:02 PM.

Sam Warburton has officially stood down as Wales captain....So lets see what happens next!
    Sam Underhill is joining Bath that is very good news for England.
    Owain Williams is joining Gloucester which is not quite what I hoped for as I want to see him play for Wales!! (Will England grab him, will he play for England a Welsh speaking Welshman like him?)
    Cheers
    Aled
    Jones set to replace Warburton as captain:

lun-Wyn Jones is expected to be handed the Wales captaincy after Sam Warburton stepped away from the role to regain his form.

Sportsmail reports that Warburton will give up the captaincy as he tries to rediscover his best form. He has captained Wales since 2011 and led the British and Irish Lions to a series victory over Australia in 2013.

Warburton is under increasing pressure from Justin Tipuric for his number seven jersey.

Jones played his 100th Test for Wales last year and is expected to be named Wales captain when coach Rob Howley announces his Six Nations squad next week.

His elevation to the captaincy should also make Jones a strong contender to captain the Lions to New Zealand later this year, with Ireland's Rory Best viewed as the other strong option.
    Fly Fishing & Rugby a Marriage made in Heaven.

Thought Owain had played for Wales under 20s. Wales uses the 20s as it's second team (Irish Wolfhounds, England Saxons). As he's played for our 2nd team he is ineligible to play elsewhere. Either that or I'm mixing him up with another youngster playing in England.

Not sure Underhill would get in the Welsh Squad with all the 7s we have. Young would be ahead of him and would be my bench man behind Tipuric (Warburton, Tipuric, Navidi, Cudd, James Davies).
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast