Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  305
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rugby Page

Great win by Munster today against Racing 92 (32-7) bonus point win!!!
    Fly Fishing & Rugby a Marriage made in Heaven.

Glasgow against the Blues at the moment. Half time. Glasgow with over 80% possession but only 10-7 up. All tackles around the ankles. Not taking any chances.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

Well done Munster. It's not always money that buys success.
    Could not believe Bath lost on Friday . When I had to stop watching the game they were playing great rugby and in control.
    Exeter missed a trick but they probably would have settled for a share of the points before the game. Has Brad B brought an end to his ex England colleagues career ? With the change in the laws the citing men will be busy this season. Doesn't Rob Baxter interview well ?
    Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by billy fish View Post
    Could not believe Bath lost on Friday . When I had to stop watching the game they were playing great rugby and in control.
    Exeter missed a trick but they probably would have settled for a share of the points before the game. Has Brad B brought an end to his ex England colleagues career ? With the change in the laws the citing men will be busy this season. Doesn't Rob Baxter interview well ?
    Colin.
    Barrington was unlucky. If Barrit hadn't chinned Parling which started to drop him, Barrington's shoulder would have been below Parling's shoulder. There was more intent in Barrit's challenge but Barrington did the most damage.

The ref was heard to say to Barritt that his tackle was high and dangerous but the second one was worse. Don't know how that clears Barritt, The problem is, because the ref saw the incident and commented on it, citing doesn't come into it.

If a player punches one of the opposition but the second guy knocks him cold, is the fist guy innocent?

Agree with you Billy, Baxter came across very well given the situation.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

Quote Originally Posted by billy fish View Post
    Colin.
    Maybe if the coaching staff coached (or got themselved involved in development rugby) instead of heading to Glasgow to wave their cheque book at Finn Russell whilst he's still got 18 months to go on his contract....................................

Last edited by ozzyian; 08-01-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Lots of wind and rain at the moment, so rugby not really at its best.

As others have said the high tackle rules are getting a little bit silly, a smaller bloke running into a bigger bloke, small bloke ducks down, totally accidentally bigger bloke touches smaller blokes neck, yellow card. Rather a stupid rule I think.
    Cheers
    Aled
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

I suppose the question is whether different technique is now required. I think it is and it's quite a major rule change as a consequence.

As has been pointed out there's a real randomness to this now and a match result can easily be changed because of it. If you found yourself down possession wise there's now a a certain likelihood of being down to 14 men just because of the lack of possession - and that could be the game.

So the real question is why a major rule change (requiring changes to technique across all players in how they tackle) would be introduced half way through the season, surely it would have been better (like every other recent rule change) to allow teams to work on it out of season.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post
    So the real question is why a major rule change (requiring changes to technique across all players in how they tackle) would be introduced half way through the season, surely it would have been better (like every other recent rule change) to allow teams to work on it out of season.
    It used to be that the changes were implemented in the southern hemishpere first and then for us at the start of the following season. It was a problem for summer tours as the SH teams had been playing the rules for half a season and NH teams would be caught cold.

I remember when I was playing, we'd get referees turn up at training sessions pre-season to help the coaches and players understand new laws or interpretations. One season, there were so many changes to scrum and breakdown laws that Tony Spreadbury (shows how long ago it was) came to our club together with the coaches of all the clubs in the bristol combination for a teach in. We played a 'staged game' that he refereed to demonstrate the changes. It was vidoed and copies sent to all the clubs. At least they had a couple of months to work on things.

As you say, dumb idea to introduce it half way through a season. If it's like it is at the top levels what is it like at local club level? I suppose the refs haven't got video replays so things might be a little more lenient. Either that or they'll be paranoid and send every one off to be on the safe side.

Watched a couple games yesterday and the defending teams were coming off worse. Single tackles going low and hitting bony bits (Haskel lasted 35 seconds off the bench) or two tacklers both going low and clashing heads, injuring each other (been there myself, but it didn't spoil my boyish good looks ). There's going to be a lot of injuries in the short term until players get used to the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post
    Maybe if the coaching staff coached (or got themselved involved in development rugby) instead of heading to Glasgow to wave their cheque book at Finn Russell whilst he's still got 18 months to go on his contract....................................
    If that's true about Bath going after Russell then it's just one more sign that RU is becoming a poor man's soccer

Blackadder is a good bloke who gets involved with grass roots, but this smacks of Bruce Craig and his ego. Word on the street is that he's behind the unrest at Bath (again!!).

On a general note, I cannot believe that players can talk/sign with other clubs during the season and carry on playing for a club they are leaving! It's happening with Ford, it happened with Cipriani at Sale etc. If a player is playing for a club against his "new club" who are in danger of say, missing the Play-offs, then what's to stop him trying to "throw" the game, especially a fly-half?

What with the new tackle laws and scrum debacle, as well as the money issues, RU is in danger of losing a lot of support. Me included, as if that mattered!

I'm fast becoming an England supporter and nothing else.

Paul

Williams swaps Scarlets for Saracens:

Williams swaps Scarlets for Saracens | Planetrugby.com : Planetrugby.com

Another Pro12 Player off to the Premiership....
    Fly Fishing & Rugby a Marriage made in Heaven.

Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast