Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  305
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rugby Page

[QUOTE=Paul White;937565]That's very true OSF they were a brilliant side under Border, Waugh and Ponting (to a lesser extent).

Don't tell Ozzy, but I love the way they play rugby too.

Paul

Paul[/QUOTE

Particularly against England the last few times ...

Personally I always thought there was "sledging" and "being offensive".

Sledging: "Are you able to hit the balls I'm bowling you, you'll be in the stand if you can't"

Being Offensive " I think your Mother is a right old XXXCXC you dumb barsteward"

Just an opinion?

Many years ago: I Was at the crease at a "fun" (apparently) game of Cricket once, a chap called Roger Tolchard (Wikipediaa) was wicket keeper, he spent the whole time singing "We'll keep a welcome in the hillside" he was rather surprised when I began to join in, in my top tenor Eisteddfod voice and told him he couldn't sing! Those present laughed anyway.
    Cheers
    Aled
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

Quote Originally Posted by Aled View Post
    Personally I always thought there was "sledging" and "being offensive".

Sledging: "Are you able to hit the balls I'm bowling you, you'll be in the stand if you can't"

Being Offensive " I think your Mother is a right old XXXCXC you dumb barsteward"

Just an opinion?

Many years ago: I Was at the crease at a "fun" (apparently) game of Cricket once, a chap called Roger Tolchard (Wikipediaa) was wicket keeper, he spent the whole time singing "We'll keep a welcome in the hillside" he was rather surprised when I began to join in, in my top tenor Eisteddfod voice and told him he couldn't sing! Those present laughed anyway.
    Cheers
    Aled

Yes, there is a fine line between a bit of banter and being offensive - bit like SFF really !

The odd amusing comment is fine IMHO but as always it is about the nature and scale of the comments. Your singing riposte would definitely fall within the amusing and acceptable category !

The "mental disintegration" tactics of questioning a batsmens ability if not parentage throughout a game are IMHO not sporting, rather dull and tend to sour a game and foster bad blood between teams. As they say, it's just not cricket old chap !!

Australian sledging under Waugh and Ponting was outrageous, just a non stop barrage of chirping with some highly offensive stuff thrown in - there was a story of Chris Cairns getting the choof choof choof countdown from the slip cordon during the bowlers run in (his sister was killed in a train accident) That was all since denied - who knows, but anyway that was the standard of the day.

I remember the day my Zimbabwean flat mate gave up - a day of racist comments followed by a stand off apparently, he sat on the balcony with a beer smiling and just said 'no more' - he was made of quite stern stuff - and that was lowish grade suburban cricket!!

Anyway, back to Englands need of an Australian coach for some success alongside various other nationalities on the playing staff Hartly shouldn't be playing for England - its bad for the game and like 90's Aus cricket it just isn't needed - they're good enough without dragging it all down. It's not good enough to say he's a nice guy off the field........etc, not interested, on the field he's an ill disciplined cheating thug - that's the problem and England need some self respect in this regard.

Default High Tackles

Watched Scarlets against Ulster last night (and a few snippets of Bath vs Newcastle - great comeback by Newcastle). If the Scarlets game is anything to go by, most of the rest of the season will be played with less than 30 players on the field. Farcical.

5 yards out and a scarlets player drives for the line with a good body angle and his head driving forward at between chest and waist high. Ulster defender tries (and does) hold him up by getting his arm underneath him, wrapping up and past his shoulder (great bit of defence in my eyes). TMO's decision under the new directive was a high tackle which prevented a try, so penalty try and a yellow card. What compounded it was a swinging arm by a second Ulster player that probably deserved a yellow but didn't prevent the try. He got away unpunished.

almost direct from the restart, an Ulster player got wrapped up in midfield by Jake Ball in a very similar tackle. almost a smother tackle from the side. The result was further intervention by the TMO and a second yellow in 2 minutes for innocuous challenges, neither of which caused any reaction from the tackled player or his team mates suggesting they didn't feel anything wrong had occurred.

In future, all you have to do from 5 yards is run with your nose on the turf and you'll score as no one will touch you for fear of a penalty try and a yellow card.

I hope it doesn't ruin too many games before the law makers wise up.

I'm all for player safety, but there needs to be some empathy with the game. Just because a tackle is above the badge doesn't make it reckless or dangerous. If you take it to the letter of the guidance, 'choke' tackles will result in a yellow card.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

Yes I agree, they've gone the wrong way with this for the reasons you highlight.

Since two equally matched sides produces a 'no contest' when a red is awarded and effectively consigns the game to the rubbish bin I can't help thinking that risking the ruination of games is a bad move. Better to deal with it afterwards.

I'll tell you another thing that's about to seriously damage the game and that's clubs approaching 'in contract' players in an attempt to persuade them to break their contracts - with the prospect of transfer/release fees as a consequence. This will be the beginning of the end for rugby culture and needs to be stamped out now.
    Last edited by ozzyian; 07-01-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post

I'll tell you another thing that's about to seriously damage the game and that's clubs approaching 'in contract' players in an attempt to persuade them to break their contracts - with the prospect of transfer/release fees as a consequence.
    One of the downsides of the professional era.

Don't mind stealing a few off rugby league sides. They ripped the heart out of the Welsh union team for long enough. John Devereaux (the Dalek), Alan Bateman (the clamp), Johnathon Davies, Kevin Ellis, Adrian Hadley, Paul Moriaty, Scott Quinell, Dai Young (the enforcer), Mark Jones, Stuart Evans. Rolland Phillips, all from the same generation. Dark days for Wales during the mid / late 80s and early 90s. (I'm not bitter )

Saying that, there have been very few real success stories coming from league in the Northern hemisphere. Lots of Aussies, but they tend to grow up playing both codes.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

Here we go, Sarries against exeter.

Two in trouble for the same tackle.

Brad Barritt seems to have got away with one as the second tackler was worse. Barrington red carded. Barrit should have gone as well by the letter of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by salarchaser View Post
    One of the downsides of the professional era.

Saying that, there have been very few real success stories coming from league in the Northern hemisphere.
    What about Sam Burgess? that worked out well

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post
    What about Sam Burgess? that worked out well

For Wales in the world cup it did.

Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast