Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  305
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rugby Page

Tuillagi, Dillane, & Faletau looking doubtful for the 6 Nations, and so the pre 6 Nations injury glut begins!
    Cheers
    Aled
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post
    I could, but please save me the bother of listing the last 10 Wallabies dropped for sh!t behaviour (on and off the pitch)

If pushed I'd start with the 3 Amigos - Kurtly Beale, James O'Connor and Quade Cooper. Any one of them no more than a hung over lurch straight into the England squad (then - and now probably) - all dingeyed by the National coach for being d!cks.

It would be an awful lot easier than finding the last 10 England players dropped for the same reasons that's for sure

Maybe an Antipodean coach (charged with sorting the whole mess out) is given a 'no interfere' license from the RFU as part of the deal - who knows but I think England would join only maybe Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Georgia and maybe France in tolerating such a character. He wouldn't be considered in the rest of the SH or Scotland, Ireland or Wales for that matter. Such is the desperation over at Twickers I suppose

Happy New Year to you as well and fair play to all
    Ozzy, I've always thought your posts very well put together and thoughtful....but that was in 2016!!

You've obviously been in consultation with Campo over the New Year and come up with a New Year's Resolution along the lines of, "Hey, we're Aussies, we can't be too nice to the Poms".

Happy New Year and may you not be too disappointed on the sporting front!!

P.S See the arch Aussie, one D Warner, got one of the fastest tons (78 balls) ever before lunch against Pakistan yesterday! Would he get into the England XI? Discuss.....

Paul

I could, but please save me the bother of listing the last 10 Wallabies dropped for sh!t behaviour (on and off the pitch)

If pushed I'd start with the 3 Amigos - Kurtly Beale, James O'Connor and Quade Cooper. Any one of them no more than a hung over lurch straight into the England squad (then - and now probably) - all dingeyed by the National coach for being d!cks.

It would be an awful lot easier than finding the last 10 England players dropped for the same reasons that's for sure

Maybe an Antipodean coach (charged with sorting the whole mess out) is given a 'no interfere' license from the RFU as part of the deal - who knows but I think England would join only maybe Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Georgia and maybe France in tolerating such a character. He wouldn't be considered in the rest of the SH or Scotland, Ireland or Wales for that matter. Such is the desperation over at Twickers I suppose

Happy New Year to you as well and fair play to all
    I'm sure English Rugby is feeling desperate about their 100% unbeaten record last year, a grand slam, an away whitewash of the Wallabies and winning all the home internationals with an injury depleted squad must have them quaking!

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul White View Post
    P.S See the arch Aussie, one D Warner, got one of the fastest tons (78 balls) ever before lunch against Pakistan yesterday! Would he get into the England XI? Discuss.....

Paul
    LOL, I understand he was trying to box his way into it (via Joe Root ) the other year.

Paragon of Aussie virtue that brilliant batsman...
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

Quote Originally Posted by Paul White View Post
    Ozzy, I've always thought your posts very well put together and thoughtful....but that was in 2016!!

You've obviously been in consultation with Campo over the New Year and come up with a New Year's Resolution along the lines of, "Hey, we're Aussies, we can't be too nice to the Poms".

Happy New Year and may you not be too disappointed on the sporting front!!

Paul
    Why thank you Paul - the random flipping over of a day on the Gregorian Calander hasn't altered the truth though

The point being that I very much doubt that Hartly would be considered as selectable in the countries mentioned.

Based on two grounds, 1) He's a dangerous liability 2) Believe it or not most Unions still have extremely high behavioural standards and Hartlys a violent serial cheat.

In Aus and NZ I think he'd be out on both the above counts in both countries, I think you'd be surprised at how stringent discipline and behaviour are treated in those countries. I'd like to think that the same would occur here, Ireland and Wales too and I think it would.

Instead, Jones is on the telly saying he's got to keep fit and if he does so he's still the England captain. Who knows - that may not be true and maybe just a wind up.

I've long held the opinion that Australian cricket is not to be supported. I was there through the glory years of the mid/late 90's through to the early noughties and I can tell you that by the end of it the average guy in the street was pretty ashamed of the conduct on display. 10 years or so ago a big effort was made to improve sportsmanship throughout the game (you should hear the sledging even in a Sunday village club game - pretty disgraceful). It was thought that the shocking behaviour at elite level had trickled down throughout the game.

To my mind Warner is a horrible little turd and the sort of throwback that made Australian cricket the No 1 disliked cricket team by every other cricketing nation.

That level of behaviour is unnecessary and demeaning. And not unlike selecting someone like Hartly - it may be the sort of thing that has lead to English rugby being held in the same level of fondness by every other rugby nation as Australian cricket by every other cricketing nation

PS Happy New Year to you too and good that you can still get turd past the GCHQ don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    I'm sure English Rugby is feeling desperate about their 100% unbeaten record last year, a grand slam, an away whitewash of the Wallabies and winning all the home internationals with an injury depleted squad must have them quaking!
    Needed Australian brains though

You lot should be ashamed, you can really only make these comments the day Australia or New Zealand appoints an English coach

It's true things aren't great at the moment, maybe Cockril? ha ha

PS Happy New Year to you too and good that you can still get turd past the GCHQ don't you think?
    they are only letting it through to see where it ends up - turdware / malware - all the same

Why thank you Paul - the random flipping over of a day on the Gregorian Calander hasn't altered the truth though

The point being that I very much doubt that Hartly would be considered as selectable in the countries mentioned.

Based on two grounds, 1) He's a dangerous liability 2) Believe it or not most Unions still have extremely high behavioural standards and Hartlys a violent serial cheat.

In Aus and NZ I think he'd be out on both the above counts in both countries, I think you'd be surprised at how stringent discipline and behaviour are treated in those countries. I'd like to think that the same would occur here, Ireland and Wales too and I think it would.

Instead, Jones is on the telly saying he's got to keep fit and if he does so he's still the England captain. Who knows - that may not be true and maybe just a wind up.

I've long held the opinion that Australian cricket is not to be supported. I was there through the glory years of the mid/late 90's through to the early noughties and I can tell you that by the end of it the average guy in the street was pretty ashamed of the conduct on display. 10 years or so ago a big effort was made to improve sportsmanship throughout the game (you should hear the sledging even in a Sunday village club game - pretty disgraceful). It was thought that the shocking behaviour at elite level had trickled down throughout the game.

To my mind Warner is a horrible little turd and the sort of throwback that made Australian cricket the No 1 disliked cricket team by every other cricketing nation.

That level of behaviour is unnecessary and demeaning. And not unlike selecting someone like Hartly - it may be the sort of thing that has lead to English rugby being held in the same level of fondness by every other rugby nation as Australian cricket by every other cricketing nation

Don't like him, not a bad bat though. I think I dislike him for the same reasons you dislike Hartley.

Off the field they may be very nice blokes though, who knows? It's said that Hartley does wonders with off field duties with charities and the youngsters at Saints.

Neither of the above seem to me to be the best of role models onfield.

I like Eddie simply because he is a bit mischievious, which is a real Aussie trait and has a great sense of humour, which let's face it is synonymous with Rugby. He obviously gets on well with the England boys. The other Aussies you mention, Beale, O'Connor and Quade (psuedo Aussie), I like for the same reasons, yes they've been on the naughty step but who are we to know the real pressures of top flight sport? They are all a helluva lot younger than me but I can still (just) remember some of the things I got up to at twenty-odd.

Get your points though. Oh, and my biggest heroes of all time? Micky Martin and Dave Shannon.....look 'em up on the internet. They had mischievious sense of humours too!

All the best

Paul
    Last edited by Paul White; 04-01-2017 at 11:53 AM.

To be fair, sledging seems to be commonplace throughout cricket now. South Africa and even good old England (e.g. Jimmy Anderson, Stuart Broad) are guilty.

Even at the modest level of the game I used to play it wasn't too uncommon although personally I steered well clear of it.

Easy way to stamp it out - umpire/microphones report it and then impose fines and if necessary suspensions on the players involved.

Also, I think Australia were the arch enemies of most countries mainly due to their success ....

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional salmon fisher View Post
    To be fair, sledging seems to be commonplace throughout cricket now. South Africa and even good old England (e.g. Jimmy Anderson, Stuart Broad) are guilty.

Even at the modest level of the game I used to play it wasn't too uncommon although personally I steered well clear of it.

Easy way to stamp it out - umpire/microphones report it and then impose fines and if necessary suspensions on the players involved.

Also, I think Australia were the arch enemies of most countries mainly due to their success ....
    That's very true OSF they were a brilliant side under Border, Waugh and Ponting (to a lesser extent).

Don't tell Ozzy, but I love the way they play rugby too.

Paul

Paul

Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast