Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Chicharito

Thread: Smart meters - good or bad ?

Default Smart meters - good or bad ?

I have been given a date by my energy supplier to have a smart meter fitted in a few weeks time.
    I am wondering whether to cancel as they are not compulsory and I am not sure how much me and Mrs C will benefit by having one.
    We live in a smallish detached bungalow and are perfectly capable of using common sense regarding energy usage !
    Also having spoken to a guy from British Gas who came to our house recently , he advised against it as he thought they were unreliable and we wouldn't get any benefit from one.

What are other people's views on them ?

I have been involved in research on the effectiveness of smart meters. Savings are in the region of 5-15% per household where installed. The key factor in savings is the users ability to read and understand the meter. Instantaneous usage, expenditure and historic feedback data is the most important. So, if you can make sense of it, get it.

But, evidence also suggests a rebound effect. That is that some people will use more energy than you will have saved doing other non metered things as you think you've 'been good' or 'done well'. A little like having low calorie muesli for breakfast and sitting down to a huge fry up for lunch because you've been 'so good'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicharito View Post
    I have been given a date by my energy supplier to have a smart meter fitted in a few weeks time.
    I am wondering whether to cancel as they are not compulsory and I am not sure how much me and Mrs C will benefit by having one.
    We live in a smallish detached bungalow and are perfectly capable of using common sense regarding energy usage !
    Also having spoken to a guy from British Gas who came to our house recently , he advised against it as he thought they were unreliable and we wouldn't get any benefit from one.

What are other people's views on them ?
    If they are not compulsory then personally I would not have one due to the bad press going around, whether true or partly true etc that I have read over recent months..

see here: FAQ: Billing Issues | Stop Smart Meters!

1.5 million smart meters won't work when you switch energy supplier - Telegraph

Stop Smart Meters! (UK)
    Last edited by kingfisher; 19-08-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    If they are not compulsory then personally I would not have one due to the bad press going around, whether true or partly true etc that I have read over recent months..

see here: FAQ: Billing Issues | Stop Smart Meters!

1.5 million smart meters won't work when you switch energy supplier - Telegraph

Stop Smart Meters! (UK)
    Yes my gut feeling is to cancel .
    I don't particularly want to go down the billing issue route again as I had problems over a 2yr period with Npower that meant me spending hours on the phone with them.
    I eventually got the Energy Ombudsman involved and by applying the back billing rules I ended up having 2yrs of free Gas and Electricity because they hadn't managed to send me a correct bill during that period.

Thanks for the replies so far.
    kingfisher and reelit1 like this.