Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: River Erriff Decline

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    32

    Post River Erriff Decline

    I was a regular visitor to the Erriff and it was once a prolific spate river. I have returned for the odd day the last few years and it is sad to see it fish so poorly. Fished 2 odd days this week - decent enough water. Saw one grilse of around 3 lb and a small sea trout. All the old haunts were devoid of fish. Lucky to get much above beat 9 now. Will not return.
    Last edited by spawny; 17-08-2016 at 06:50 AM.
    Oscar and Ballyduff like this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Belfast, N.Ireland.
    Posts
    4,403

    Default

    Sad. Absolutely stunning area and scenery. What's caused it? Farming in the bay?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spawny View Post
    I was a regular visitor to the Erriff and it was once a prolific spate river. I have returned for the odd day the last few years and it is sad to see it fish so poorly. Fished 2 odd days this week - decent enough water. Saw one grilse of around 3 lb and a small sea trout. All the old haunts were devoid of fish. Lucky to get much above beat 9 now. Will not return.
    Yes the farming is a problem. Also there has been a lot of experimenting going on with smolts. The stock of fish must be really low now. Maybe the fisheries people know what they are doing. I do hope so!
    Oscar and Ballyduff like this.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cirencester
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    Agreed, and got a hunch I've fished a few of the key spots you are talking Bout!

    Very sad, and one can only hope there'll be a turn around!
    spawny and Ballyduff like this.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Kelso, Roxburghshire
    Posts
    863

    Default

    And how is Delphi doing being just up the road?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by castor View Post
    And how is Delphi doing being just up the road?
    Alright I think but not sure. One positive is that every year they "fallow" the fish farms in the bay the sea trout come in good numbers. When the farms are working there are few sea trout.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    7,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spawny View Post
    Alright I think but not sure. One positive is that every year they "fallow" the fish farms in the bay the sea trout come in good numbers. When the farms are working there are few sea trout.
    Fish farmers will tell you that's just a coincidence of course!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cirencester
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by castor View Post
    And how is Delphi doing being just up the road?
    I think it's having a pretty lean year actually, despite relatively good water most of the season.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    up to ma tits in water on the ayr
    Posts
    3,083

    Default

    You said regular haunts!could it be the big rivers most of us experienced has filled in the usual areas but has opened up new areas we just havent found yet,the same story here but seeing a few fish so hopefully ill stumble across a new lie or two
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dexterbuchanan1 View Post
    You said regular haunts!could it be the big rivers most of us experienced has filled in the usual areas but has opened up new areas we just havent found yet,the same story here but seeing a few fish so hopefully ill stumble across a new lie or two
    Tried all the old lies and anywhere else that looked fishy. Used to fishing small rivers so don't think I missed a trick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •