Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: River Erriff Decline

Post River Erriff Decline

I was a regular visitor to the Erriff and it was once a prolific spate river. I have returned for the odd day the last few years and it is sad to see it fish so poorly. Fished 2 odd days this week - decent enough water. Saw one grilse of around 3 lb and a small sea trout. All the old haunts were devoid of fish. Lucky to get much above beat 9 now. Will not return.
    Last edited by spawny; 17-08-2016 at 06:50 AM.
    Oscar and Ballyduff like this.

Sad. Absolutely stunning area and scenery. What's caused it? Farming in the bay?

Quote Originally Posted by spawny View Post
    I was a regular visitor to the Erriff and it was once a prolific spate river. I have returned for the odd day the last few years and it is sad to see it fish so poorly. Fished 2 odd days this week - decent enough water. Saw one grilse of around 3 lb and a small sea trout. All the old haunts were devoid of fish. Lucky to get much above beat 9 now. Will not return.
    Yes the farming is a problem. Also there has been a lot of experimenting going on with smolts. The stock of fish must be really low now. Maybe the fisheries people know what they are doing. I do hope so!
    Oscar and Ballyduff like this.

Agreed, and got a hunch I've fished a few of the key spots you are talking Bout!

Very sad, and one can only hope there'll be a turn around!
    spawny and Ballyduff like this.

And how is Delphi doing being just up the road?

Quote Originally Posted by castor View Post
    Alright I think but not sure. One positive is that every year they "fallow" the fish farms in the bay the sea trout come in good numbers. When the farms are working there are few sea trout.

Quote Originally Posted by spawny View Post
    Alright I think but not sure. One positive is that every year they "fallow" the fish farms in the bay the sea trout come in good numbers. When the farms are working there are few sea trout.
    Fish farmers will tell you that's just a coincidence of course!!

Quote Originally Posted by castor View Post
    I think it's having a pretty lean year actually, despite relatively good water most of the season.

You said regular haunts!could it be the big rivers most of us experienced has filled in the usual areas but has opened up new areas we just havent found yet,the same story here but seeing a few fish so hopefully ill stumble across a new lie or two
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Quote Originally Posted by dexterbuchanan1 View Post
    You said regular haunts!could it be the big rivers most of us experienced has filled in the usual areas but has opened up new areas we just havent found yet,the same story here but seeing a few fish so hopefully ill stumble across a new lie or two
    Tried all the old lies and anywhere else that looked fishy. Used to fishing small rivers so don't think I missed a trick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast