Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Just One Week on the Gaula 16-23 July 2016

Default Just One Week on the Gaula 16-23 July 2016

The latest post on Just One Week describes our week on the Gaula with a gallery of pictures.

I wish to record our huge gratitude to Gauldalen for his unstinting and invaluable wisdom, advice, assistance and friendship over the past 9 months. He is also excellent company over dinner and several glasses of wine. My only regret is that we did not have the chance to fish together, for he is indeed a wizard with salmon. I also thank Ursus Nautilus for his support, information and cheerful company: a man who drives an hour each way to eat my cooking is a hero of a high order.

Finally I thank the members of the Forum for their interest, encouragement and advice. I will publish another post with the learning points I gleaned during the week that may be useful to anyone planning an expedition to Norway.
    Michael
    Hidden Content

Please support the Ure Salmon Run Bike Challenge - donate via Hidden Content

Nil, zero, naught! I was initially gutted for you but reading the report suggests you yourself did not come away feeling too unhappy.

Beautiful looking water

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem View Post
    Nil, zero, naught! I was initially gutted for you but reading the report suggests you yourself did not come away feeling too unhappy.

Beautiful looking water
    Mark,

I must admit to feeling really low at lunchtime on Saturday, feeling not only personally disappointed, but also and more importantly that I'd let down the 2 friends whom I'd enthused to come on the trip. Fishing all Friday night bar 90 minutes nap probably didn't help: I was knackered. Now I've had 2 good nights' sleep it's easier to be balanced, even if I'm still sad: that's salmon fishing!
    Eminem, andyjaffs and Sterntaucher like this.
    Michael
    Hidden Content

So many factors outwith your control. The learning points are important and I look forward to those (as always)

Hard lines on the trip Michael and I do share your pain, as I was part of a party that fished the Spey for a week and can't even recall if I had a solid pull from a Salmon either.

So one doesn't have to travel far to participate in a weeks frustration either.

Salmon fishing as we all know can be a fickle sport, but I would have expected a better return for my weeks efforts, as will you no doubt.

But with a few tweaks to the calendar for next year will hopefully hit it in a more timorous manner.

The Gaula looked very low and with the weather you experienced its not surprising the river never gave up much sport.

Next year eh!
    MCXFisher likes this.

This has actually reminded me of a group of well-heeled rods I know who always did well on my local rivers (Dee, Deveron and Ythan in this instance), who also went on a week's salmon fishing to Norway and blanked.

Never, ever any guarantees in this game
    kingfisher and MCXFisher like this.

And naturally the classic statement: " you should have come next week" seems to apply again. You left on Saturday, the water level went up to 150cbm/s on the night to Sunday and pool 12 gave two fish of 29Ibs and 11Ibs Sunday afternoon, while pool 09 gave two fish of around 12Ibs!!
    MCXFisher likes this.

Hard luck...got the T shirt...but fortunately there is so much more to it than catching fish.

Looks like the weather might break a little this weekend, just in time for me to try and get daughter off the mark on the Forra...fingers crossed.
    Denfield Bud and MCXFisher like this.

Its a bitter one to swallow but one that we all will at some point.

We had a terrible Canadian trip 4 years ago when a combination of ice melt and heavy rain pretty much blew the Harrison out along with all the other smaller tributaries.

We managed a few fish on the last day but it was a slog and after flying half way round the world to fish it at great expense it really does get you down at the time.

Its always best to stay pragmatic and take it on the chin.
    MCXFisher likes this.
    FISH ON!!! FISH OFF!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by woodcockandsewin View Post
    Hard luck...got the T shirt...but fortunately there is so much more to it than catching fish.

Looks like the weather might break a little this weekend, just in time for me to try and get daughter off the mark on the Forra...fingers crossed.
    Your formidable reputation amongst the locals precedes you
    Michael
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast