Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  62
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border

Default Undone by the jet stream?

Given its been so wet here due to the jet stream being south of where it should be, I suspect the weather pattern was not the usual Norwegian example- when I went it was two days dry, one day pouring down....September.

I feel your pain and disappointment. It's not nice but it can't be helped, fate is cruel sometimes.

The locals told me that the problem was the very large and persistent Russian Continental High pressure area, which was stopping second hand British weather reaching its destination. There are signs of some weakening towards the weekend, with 3 days' rain forecast for Trondheim.

Fate is doubly cruel to those who show hubris by writing a blog and posting on SFF, in which case it's called nemesis, and you blank all over the place. Ever since I started J1W my previously admirable catch rate has gone to wrack and ruin
    Last edited by MCXFisher; 26-07-2016 at 02:00 PM.

A pity your first Gaula trip didn't produce, Michael, but that shouldn't discourage you to return next year. I took a few on the chin as well, not on Gaula but on Mandal and Skjern (Denmark).
    Nevertheless, I never gave up and actually learned as much from my blank weeks as from my successful ones.
    Gradually, I learned that given the right circumstances the fish always come to you, sooner or later.
    You seem like someone able to turn a disappointment into a positive outcome. Your day will come if you persevere.
    Don't wait too long to book your week next year, for all you (and we all) know it might really be "your" week on the river!
    Last edited by firefly; 26-07-2016 at 05:55 PM.
    firefly

Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    A pity your first Gaula trip didn't produce, Michael, but that shouldn't discourage you to return next year. I took a few on the chin as well, not on Gaula but on Mandal and Skjern (Denmark).
    Nevertheless, I never gave up and actually learned as much from my blank weeks as from my successful ones.
    Gradually, I learned that given the right circumstances the fish always come to you, sooner or later.
    You seem like someone able to turn a disappointment into a positive outcome. Your day will come if you persevere.
    Don't wait too long to book your week next year, for all you (and we all) know it might really be "your" week on the river!
    Don't worry Firefly, after 61 years' fishing I'm well accustomed to disappointment and the highs and lows of our sport. As you age you get more philosophical. On the other hand, in the back of your mind is the keen awareness that the scope for waiting 3-5 years for a cycle to turn may occupy an uncomfortably significant part of the future!

Its like shooting. You pay your money but if you get drawn a few bad pegs you are out of it but you pay the same as the man next to you!

It all evens itself out though
    FISH ON!!! FISH OFF!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    Don't worry Firefly, after 61 years' fishing I'm well accustomed to disappointment and the highs and lows of our sport. As you age you get more philosophical. On the other hand, in the back of your mind is the keen awareness that the scope for waiting 3-5 years for a cycle to turn may occupy an uncomfortably significant part of the future!

Ah, if you haven't got that philosophical approach to salmon fishing you're lost, I know. But I don't get the waiting for a 3-5 years cycle to turn?
    Surely there must be some truth in "you should have been here last week", as there are lots of fish caught at the moment in these good weeks and not only on Gaula. Just watch the catch reports on Inatur and to be honest those are in general an underestimated representation of what is really being caught. Knowing that a lot of local anglers do not report ALL they catch. (should be a smiley here but somehow I've been unable to use them for whatever technical reason.)
    Anyway, we talk a lot about the element of luck in salmon fishing and to me the only luck you need is ideal climatic circumstances and even a bit more important the amount of water for the salmon to decide to venture up the river and lay in expectation of your fly. All the rest boils down to skill (and the gradual elimination of the factor "luck" in our fishing).
    It could have happened the day before you arrived or the day after you left, so I don't see any reason why you should have to wait 3-5 years for it to happen?
    firefly

My thinking on the 3-5 year cycle is based on my experience on UK rivers. As you rightly say, it's water that makes the difference, which leaves one vulnerable to the effects of year-to-year variations in the weather when relying on a fixed pre-booked week in the calendar. There's nothing precise in this and one's memory does play tricks - we remember the sunny days most clearly. Roughly one in 5 is perfect and one in 3 quite good (although the run of 2013, 14 and 15 messed that up a bit). Conversely 1 in 5 can be abysmal and one in 3 pretty dire. So perhaps it's more a matter of adds than a cycle per se.

Unhappy

So disappointed for you and your friends.

After the excitement of the planning, checking the flow rate daily before you go, looking for what is catching and where and e-mails of tips from people just back.

I look forward to see your follow up as there is always some positives from fishless forays. I know people say it's more than catching fish, but a few pulls or even one on the bank helps.

Midge
    Hidden Content the weekend is coming Hidden Content

Default You never know the minute

Four of us are just back from Finnmark.
    Arriving to 25degree's at 11pm
    Water 15 degrees,2' higher than normal,fish bombing on.
    13 days fishing one fisher touches zero,one gets a grilse and three lost,one gets 10lb licer,looses a biggie after 10 minutes, I get one pull in 10 days,pulling my hair out everything changes on my 12th day,bang 25lb,my biggest fly caught salmon.
    Hard going but worth it for myself and we all agreed the place is just fishing heaven catching or not.
    I saw and heard of fish 30-40lb being hooked,caught and lost 200 yards below us.
    That's what keeps you going,you just never know the minute.

FB_IMG_1468781843500.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg
    Last edited by Denfield Bud; 27-07-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Default Another hard lesson

Sorry to hear that Michael, the best laid plans and all that but if it was easy they'd all be at it and there'd be no need for golf.

An old angler, now in the great deep freeze in the sky, once told me that if I wanted a free education I should go back to school because there is no such thing on the river. And that seems particularly true on any long-awaited adventure to far away, famous rivers. Expectation is our worst enemy and the root of all disappointment.
    Our group had the same experience on the Orkla this year and one of the very best anglers in our party recorded a third successive blank year. Disheartening or challenging? Will we go back? Of course we will, life's too short to let disappointment set the agenda. Go back and catch the fish of a lifetime - it'll be there sometime but who knows when? Stiff upper lip and all that!
    Last edited by JACK POWER; 26-07-2016 at 11:08 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast