Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: MCX Fisher goes to Norway - River Gaula July 2016 - Advice Please

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default MCX Fisher goes to Norway - River Gaula July 2016 - Advice Please

For a change I am seeking advice

In 10 days time MCX and his elderly friends will be spending Just One Week on the GFF beats on the Gaula, our first trip to Norway, which is a source of great excitement and anticipation. I am most grateful to Forum members Gamlingen and Ursus Nautilus for all their help and advice via PM. Now I'm widening the net to seek tips from the Forum at large.

If I can find a moment in what's proving to be a very busy July I hope to write a Just One Week article on the preparations.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    For a change I am seeking advice

In 10 days time MCX and his elderly friends will be spending Just One Week on the GFF beats on the Gaula, our first trip to Norway, which is a source of great excitement and anticipation. I am most grateful to Forum members Gamlingen and Ursus Nautilus for all their help and advice via PM. Now I'm widening the net to seek tips from the Forum at large.

If I can find a moment in what's proving to be a very busy July I hope to write a Just One Week article on the preparations.
    Very jealous! Look forward to hearing your blog on the experience and wish you the best of luck whilst out there.

Catch a HORSE!!!!
    MCXFisher likes this.
    FISH ON!!! FISH OFF!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Madly jealous Michael!wishing you all the best of luck on the trip though
    MCXFisher likes this.
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Enjoy, have a great time. Please report back!
    MCXFisher likes this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi Michael,

Sounds an amazing trip. Now I've not fished in Norway, but a good friend of mine has, and he managed a 28, a 22 and an 18, his three biggest fish ever.

The water is apparently very very clear, and (certainly on the rivers he fished) patience and persistence, along with the normal infinitesimal attention to detail, pay off more than perhaps on other rivers. You'll be fine!

In terms of flies, I believe they love the green highlander (because of the clear water?), and all three biggies for my pal were on this fly. They also fish through very sunny periods with some success.

When I next speak to him I'll get any more gen I can.

ATB, Oscar.
    MCXFisher likes this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Have you got a decent wading jacket?

tight lines and take care

I`ll enjoy reading your report

DCH
    MCXFisher and apd13 like this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Many years ago I worked as a guide in Norway for two summers. A fantstic country and I am extremly jealous of your trip. Im sure you have had plenty of advice from people with recent experience of the beats in question but for what its worth i would make sure I had a goodly lot of Sunrays, some with holes in the side for hitching. I would also like some snaeldas. I would make sure I had my best reels loaded with a great deal of backing and that I had serviced them properly before I went. I would buy some brand new heavy fluorocarbon from a dealer I trusted to turn his stock over quickly and would take a variety of 15 to 30lb braking strain.

Tight lines and I look forward to the report!

SP8
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I had two trips to Norway including a week on the Gaula second time and a day on it first time. Despite trying the local favourites my fish came to a Willie Gunn and a Black and Yellow!
    I hope you don't get the heatwave that ruined both my trips. The Gaula is a stunning river which I am sure you will enjoy. I would definitely try a hitched fly if conditions permit as I know many fish get caught that way.

Best of luck

SP8
    MCXFisher likes this.

mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Michael,

I've not fished the Gaula, but I've fished a few other rivers, including the Sand river in the Western Fjords, what impressed me was the scale of the rivers, the strength of the flow ( good wading sticks required) and breadth of the pools, meaning 15ft rods were the 'go to' length... This was about six years ago ( I know this as my eldest son is five, he was a Norwegian conception!) when I was still using Rio mid-Spey in a #10/11. I saw a few Norwegian anglers, all without exception were using shooting heads, and casting five yards longer and narrower than I. Whilst I saw salmon I didn't hook any ( couple of offers only) but it was beautiful, the water was very clear, so flies with black, blue and green seem to feature, though I understand due to water clarity the 'yellow banana' temple dog does well on the Gaula- as it blends in so the salmon don't see it coming until it's on them ( hopeful triggering a reflex take within their 'taking zone')

Best of luck, really hope you do well.

Andy
    MCXFisher likes this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Hello Michael!
    Welcome to Norway and to one of its most exciting salmon rivers!
    Just to give you some fresh info, water levels are rather low, BUT this is not necessarily a bad thing for most of the beats you are going to fish! GFF had a 33Ibs today! There is a good stock of fish in the middle river and some very big ones among them. Therefore, looking at the different pieces of advice you have got, one that I would definitely not follow, is to show up with 15Ibs leader stuff! This is just ridiculous. I would advise you keep at least 40Ibs strength, because you never know what you are going to meet and grilses are not shy of thick leaders at all. So better to be on the safe side of things! If you like riffling hitch, the conditions are just perfect for the time being. I just left the river one hour ago and was lucky enough to catch and release two fish @ 7 and 13Ibs, using that method! One important advice that will be useful: the midges are out in force and very agressive, so be prepared!
    I'll pay you a short visit while you are here, as we might know each other! Velkommen til Gauldalen!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast