Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: MCX Fisher goes to Norway - River Gaula July 2016 - Advice Please

Default MCX in Norway

The latest post Just One Week in Norway - The Preparations, is now available to view on J1W.

I am most grateful to all Forum members for their invaluable advice, support and good wishes.
    Michael
    Hidden Content

Please support the Ure Salmon Run Bike Challenge - donate via Hidden Content

Have a great trip Michael, already looking forward to the report!!

Charles.

Have a Nice trip. The Gaulfoss is never a problem this far into the season. And Gaula drops surprisingly fast, if You get a period of much Rain. If the river is rather low and/ or warm, Do not forget the Sunrays or Even a Hitch. And Gff has plenty of pools for different flows and conditions.

The water does not have to be clear though, Gaula colours /silts up rapid While rising. And Gaula literally means Gul'a or the Yellow river. Clear, bu t with a sort of Yellow tinge to it.

Tight lines! And if You catch a good size fish in a strong flow, the fight Can be immense. And never forget to fish early morning and afternoons, especially in clear weather.

Tight lines!
    MCXFisher likes this.

Ursus,

many thanks for the good wishes and advice. I very much hope that we may meet during the week.

Michael
    Gauldalen likes this.
    Michael
    Hidden Content

Best of luck, Michael! (You must be back by now?)
    Looking forward to your report.
    I've just returned from a month's travelling through Norway and have been fishing a couple of (very different) rivers, so I can agree to some point with the advice to adjust your tippet diameter to the circumstances.
    But by the time you reach the "big fish" rivers like Gaula, Lakselv or Reisa there is no room for compromise. You simply have to use the thickest tippet you deem fit for your setup.
    I got off to a quick start on Lakselv catching a 25 lb bar of silver after 25 minutes fishing. That fish was caught on a .30 mm fluorocarbon tippet and took the best of 15 minutes to land, after trying twice to go down some rapids 60 meters downstream of my position. I remember thinking "oh, all this talk about .45, .50 mm tippets, look at what a point .30 can do."
    That is what overconfidence can do with you. The next two days I had two more chances resulting in a fish missing the fly twice and another one around 20 lb coming off the hook second before tailing.
    On my last and fourth day I hooked a really big fish in the tail of Kovakovski (beat in zone 3) and broke for the first time in my life on a salmon. That fish bolted sideways and took my line in a spray of water like a waterskier making a bend. It took a split second for my .30 line to be cut by a rock (line broken just below the loop to loop connection with the poly), leaving me rather gutted for the next two hours.
    I'll never fish any of these big fish rivers again with tippets lighter than .45 mm. It may cost me another fish of a lifetime. Never again.
    MCXFisher likes this.
    firefly

mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border

Default You pack the same as me!

Hi Michael,

You use the same method as me for packing, a good layout of gear. I also use excel checklists/ inventories which have two columns to tick into the car, and crucially tick back into the car at the end of the week....having spent quite a lot of money on P&P on left behind items at lodges I find its the best solution....

Good luck with the trip, the anticipation and preparation is about 30% of the pleasure for me. I've an impending trip to Iceland in early September which I'm starting to get revved up for.

Tight lines I hope you get several whoppers! Or looking at the date, I hope you have had several whoppers.....
    Last edited by Andy R; 25-07-2016 at 09:22 AM.
    MCXFisher likes this.

I've just posted a response on Ursus Nautilus' Trondheim area thread, and will write a full report on Just One Week in the next couple of days.
    Last edited by MCXFisher; 25-07-2016 at 09:01 AM.
    Michael
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    I've just posted a response on Ursus Nautilus' Trondheim area thread, and will write a full report on Just One Week in the next couple of days.
    Ikke vann ingen laks?

Come on, the suspense is killing me. I need reports of your success so I can justify such a trip in the future.

'No, love, you don't understand, the Salmon are so much bigger and more plentiful there'

and

'Unfortunately it's too expensive to take the whole family, I'll have to go on my own....'

Hope you enjoyed it and looking fwd to the report.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post
    Ikke vann ingen laks?

Come on, the suspense is killing me. I need reports of your success so I can justify such a trip in the future.

'No, love, you don't understand, the Salmon are so much bigger and more plentiful there'

and

'Unfortunately it's too expensive to take the whole family, I'll have to go on my own....'

Hope you enjoyed it and looking fwd to the report.
    ...ingen fisk uten hall
    Grassy_Knollington likes this.

"hald" Can be important, yes ;-)
    Gauldalen likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234