Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: MCX Fisher goes to Norway - River Gaula July 2016 - Advice Please

Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post
    On the other hand, you need to bear in mind that the problem with thinner line comes not from the breaking strain on a direct pull, but from abrasion. The river I gillied on in Norway was very fast-flowing, with very little gravel and a mainly rocky bottom, and this was the cause of many fish being lost. I remember one (American) rod who announced that he was going to use 18lb line - an early fluorocarbon or copolymer I think, so thinner than traditional nylon - on the basis that he couldn't possibly exert anything like that strain with his 10wt single handed rod. On his first morning, he lost two fish in the 20-30lb class, with broken leaders in both instances due to encounters with rocks. Thereafter he took our advice and switched to the .55mm diameter Maxima that most people used there!

As an illustration, 15lb Seaguar Ace is only .28mm in diameter. As such, a nick that is just .1mm deep will cause a catastrophic reduction in breaking strain - .18mm Seaguar is only 6.6lb test! On the other hand, if you were to use .50mm diameter Maxima, the same sized nick will reduce the diameter to .40mm, but .40mm Maxima is still nearly 20lb test.
    Very good point that I came to realise when I started fishing the modern ultra low diameter fluorocarbons (mainly for trout). Even minor damage can more than halve the effective BS. I have had numerous instances of such fluoro breaking under no apparent stress or pressure.

One of the USP's of seagaur is abrasion resistance, but Ive never encountered anything tougher than brown maxima.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    One of the USP's of seagaur is abrasion resistance, but Ive never encountered anything tougher than brown maxima.
    Have you not met my wife !!!!

Have a great trip, my first trip of the season occurs on the Dee in just under 3 weeks time - unfortunately not a week so it'll have to go under the heading of 'just 3 or 4 days' and#128516;
    MCXFisher likes this.

All the best Michael and look I forward to the report....sounds like you should take up smoking to keep the midges at bay though!!

Paul
    MCXFisher likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul White View Post
    All the best Michael and look I forward to the report....sounds like you should take up smoking to keep the midges at bay though!!

Paul
    A healthier option might be to buy a Mrs Beeton's Midge Jacket. They can keep the Far Northern Scottish Midge, probably the most voracious predator of anglers known to man, at bay!
    Handel likes this.

A healthier option might be to buy a Mrs Beeton's Midge Jacket. They can keep the Far Northern Scottish Midge, probably the most voracious predator of anglers known to man, at bay!
    One member of the team is a cigar smoker, so we will be positioning him upwind to lay the appropriate screen.
    Paul White, DOON ROD and Loxie like this.

Splendid. I have just bought one. Very good service too, ordered one day, had it the next.
    Paul White and Loxie like this.

All the best for your week Michael, hope you get bent into a few biguns!! Enjoy!
    MCXFisher likes this.

SP8

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    One member of the team is a cigar smoker, so we will be positioning him upwind to lay the appropriate screen.
    If I was you I'd take up smoking for the week! I seem to remember the midges were as bad as Scotland.

SP8

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast