Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: MCX Fisher goes to Norway - River Gaula July 2016 - Advice Please

AThe best Michael a 40 awaits you
    MCXFisher likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SALMON RUSHDIE View Post
    AThe best Michael a 40 awaits you
    I'd only have certainty of that if you were on the river alongside to add your undisputed pulling power.
    Eminem likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gauldalen View Post
    Hello Michael!
    Welcome to Norway and to one of its most exciting salmon rivers!
    Just to give you some fresh info, water levels are rather low, BUT this is not necessarily a bad thing for most of the beats you are going to fish! GFF had a 33Ibs today! There is a good stock of fish in the middle river and some very big ones among them. Therefore, looking at the different pieces of advice you have got, one that I would definitely not follow, is to show up with 15Ibs leader stuff! This is just ridiculous. I would advise you keep at least 40Ibs strength, because you never know what you are going to meet and grilses are not shy of thick leaders at all. So better to be on the safe side of things! If you like riffling hitch, the conditions are just perfect for the time being. I just left the river one hour ago and was lucky enough to catch and release two fish @ 7 and 13Ibs, using that method! One important advice that will be useful: the midges are out in force and very agressive, so be prepared!
    I'll pay you a short visit while you are here, as we might know each other! Velkommen til Gauldalen!
    That rather reminds me of what happened to a chap I Guided in Norway 25 years ago. He had spoken to a Norwegian who was justifiably proud of the size of fish which run the rivers there who gave him simelar advice. Nothing less than 40 pound test leaders as there are 40 pound fish and you wont be able to land them on less. On his first morning he got his fly caught in the rocks at the tail of the pool and had to pull for a break. Sadly the break occurred about a third of the way down his fly line!

If you do choose to use marlin strength leaders on your trip Michael may I suggest you either check the BS of you fly line cores or take plenty of spares!
    SP8, lowforcefly, nevisben and 1 others like this.

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country)

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    ...seeking advice ...
    Then allow me:

1. Remember, it's Just One Week you've got to fish, so fish hard...

2. Because of 1., if the weather is inclement and the water is high/low, remember they are excellent excuses should a 40-lb pig not be connected with [My first trip to the Skeena area was a wash out due to the same normal excuses employed much closer to home ("should have been here next week"), phew.]

3. If it is a 40, don't eat it all in one sitting

4. Have lots and lots of fun and tell us all about it

Flee in the watter and all that. Good luck!
    MCXFisher likes this.
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

Sounds fantastic sir. really fancy a go at that myself some fine day.
    Very much looking forward to the report and analysis.
    Game on !
    MCXFisher likes this.

Slightly jealous having been to such a wonderful country.
    Have a splendid time and blog lots!
    Enjoy
    MCXFisher likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    That rather reminds me of what happened to a chap I Guided in Norway 25 years ago. He had spoken to a Norwegian who was justifiably proud of the size of fish which run the rivers there who gave him simelar advice. Nothing less than 40 pound test leaders as there are 40 pound fish and you wont be able to land them on less. On his first morning he got his fly caught in the rocks at the tail of the pool and had to pull for a break. Sadly the break occurred about a third of the way down his fly line!

If you do choose to use marlin strength leaders on your trip Michael may I suggest you either check the BS of you fly line cores or take plenty of spares!
    On the other hand, you need to bear in mind that the problem with thinner line comes not from the breaking strain on a direct pull, but from abrasion. The river I gillied on in Norway was very fast-flowing, with very little gravel and a mainly rocky bottom, and this was the cause of many fish being lost. I remember one (American) rod who announced that he was going to use 18lb line - an early fluorocarbon or copolymer I think, so thinner than traditional nylon - on the basis that he couldn't possibly exert anything like that strain with his 10wt single handed rod. On his first morning, he lost two fish in the 20-30lb class, with broken leaders in both instances due to encounters with rocks. Thereafter he took our advice and switched to the .55mm diameter Maxima that most people used there!

As an illustration, 15lb Seaguar Ace is only .28mm in diameter. As such, a nick that is just .1mm deep will cause a catastrophic reduction in breaking strain - .18mm Seaguar is only 6.6lb test! On the other hand, if you were to use .50mm diameter Maxima, the same sized nick will reduce the diameter to .40mm, but .40mm Maxima is still nearly 20lb test.
    Last edited by charlieH; 05-07-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post
    On the other hand, you need to bear in mind that the problem with thinner line comes not from the breaking strain on a direct pull, but from abrasion. The river I gillied on in Norway was very fast-flowing, with very little gravel and a mainly rocky bottom, and this was the cause of many fish being lost. I remember one (American) rod who announced that he was going to use 18lb line - an early fluorocarbon or copolymer I think, so thinner than traditional nylon - on the basis that he couldn't possibly exert anything like that strain with his 10wt single handed rod. On his first morning, he lost two fish in the 20-30lb class, with broken leaders in both instances due to encounters with rocks. Thereafter he took our advice and switched to the .55mm diameter Maxima that most people used there!

As an illustration, 15lb Seaguar Ace is only .28mm in diameter. As such, a nick that is just .1mm deep will cause a catastrophic reduction in breaking strain - .18mm Seaguar is only 6.6lb test! On the other hand, if you were to use .50mm diameter Maxima, the same sized nick will reduce the diameter to .40mm, but .40mm Maxima is still nearly 20lb test.
    Thanks Charlie! I did not bother to answer, but you point exactly to what I would have said!
    I have been fishing Norwegian waters since 1964 and noticed at a very early stage that my leaders were damaged pretty rapidly in a normal fishing session. I was recommended by another fisherman to increase the strength and using at least 0.50mm diameter. I have never regretted it, especially when following a big fish in the rapids, where big blocks can erode the leader pretty fast!
    You and I know that it works and our combined experience of Norwegian rivers should be a sufficient guaranty as to the quality of the advice given to Michael and not spoil his trip!
    DOON ROD, Jonsey and MCXFisher like this.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post

We recommended 30lb maxima for that very reason in June, but as the water drops in July you need more options. If you have a slow deep river or lake with no obstructions you can land any salmon on 10lb maxima, but life is seldom like that! The point I was trying to make wasn't that 40lb plus leaders are wrong; whatever works is the best way, but that it has its dangers! 25lb BS running lines are not unusual and not wise with very heavy leaders.

The Vosso, at least in the good old days, also had some pretty serious fish as a matter of course! Where I worked we had the very odd 30 and only one 40 when I was there.

The choice of leader has to be made on circumstance and I personally would prefer to travel abroad with a big selection and choose appropriately and that was my advice to Michael. I personally would not use a very heavy leader with small flies in low summer water and bright weather with any confidence. My experience is that ALL fish are leader shy to an extent but that taking unnecessary risks with big fish is plain stupid.
    MCXFisher likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gauldalen View Post
    Thanks Charlie! I did not bother to answer, but you point exactly to what I would have said!
    I have been fishing Norwegian waters since 1964 and noticed at a very early stage that my leaders were damaged pretty rapidly in a normal fishing session. I was recommended by another fisherman to increase the strength and using at least 0.50mm diameter. I have never regretted it, especially when following a big fish in the rapids, where big blocks can erode the leader pretty fast!
    You and I know that it works and our combined experience of Norwegian rivers should be a sufficient guaranty as to the quality of the advice given to Michael and not spoil his trip!
    It's not a contest!

I was not trying to say your advice was poor, but that there were often unforeseen consequences.

Nor, in my first post, was I suggesting 15lb line as a standard approach but I would take a spool with me. In dead low water in the Gin clear rivers try tying a size 12 to a 20kg leader and see how that goes. Horses for courses and rigidity in Salmon fishing usually leads to a lower success rate. It is always better to have something you do not need than to not have something you do need.
    speers and MCXFisher like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast