Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: drive to the far north

Default drive to the far north

we shall be driving north to fish the very top of scotland again this year. Since I want to check out the Dionard system and The Kyle of Durness and the Polla system and because we haven't been this way before we have decided to drive up the west.
    we are staying the previous night in Dunkeld and we normally drive up the A9 to Inverness we stop in before at the fishing tackle store at house of Bruar . Then after Inverness its Lairg, then straight up the heart of scotland to Bettyhill.
    Ive started to think that i could hook a left and go to Fortwilliam then up the westcoast catching the route A838, we may want to call into the Scourie hotel for some good seafood grub as a treat and also because ive never been.
    However I dont want it to turn into an epic drive. should i stick to the a9 then Lairg and head west from there or would it be a similar amount of time by heading over to the west coast for Dunkeld.
    what are your thoughts Ladies and gents.

oh and if there are any Bridges out up the Far north this will also determine my route .
    thanks.
    speers
    tenet and billy fish like this.

I think all the way west from through Ft William from Dunkeld to Durness will be a bit of an epic. If you want to follow the coast up the west from Ft William, then I'm not sure you'll be eating lunch in Scourie unless you set off at the crack of dawn the day before

You could stay on the A9 from Inverness then branch West on the A835 at Connon Bridge before going through to Ullapool and up that way through Inchnadamph then back onto the coast and up. That should be quicker than going via Lairg. 5 hours or so

Alternatively you could go up the A9 across to Ft William at Dalwhinnie, (nice drive) then head up the Great Glen to Inverness and pick up the A9 again. That will take longer than going through Inverness, an hour or so depending on traffic, say 6 hours or so

Just realised, google map it.
    Piker20 likes this.

Google Earth and aa route planner will be an excellent data source. I'm already getting excited about this year's first trip to the North, going up 26th or 27th.

Quote Originally Posted by speers View Post
    we shall be driving north to fish the very top of scotland again this year. Since I want to check out the Dionard system and The Kyle of Durness and the Polla system and because we haven't been this way before we have decided to drive up the west.
    we are staying the previous night in Dunkeld and we normally drive up the A9 to Inverness we stop in before at the fishing tackle store at house of Bruar . Then after Inverness its Lairg, then straight up the heart of scotland to Bettyhill.
    Ive started to think that i could hook a left and go to Fortwilliam then up the westcoast catching the route A838, we may want to call into the Scourie hotel for some good seafood grub as a treat and also because ive never been.
    However I dont want it to turn into an epic drive. should i stick to the a9 then Lairg and head west from there or would it be a similar amount of time by heading over to the west coast for Dunkeld.
    what are your thoughts Ladies and gents.

oh and if there are any Bridges out up the Far north this will also determine my route .
    thanks.
    speers
    Going via Fort William to Bettyhill from Dunkeld will take an extra 2 to 2.5 hours.
    Dunkeld to Bettyhill via A9 about 4hr.
    Dunkeld to Fort William Approx 2 hours
    Fort William to Bettyhill approx 4 hours

A835 from Conon Bridge to Ullapool every time... You can then explore the stunning west cost area up through Lochinver, Kinlochbervie, Scourie etc without adding that marathon leg onto the trip.
    wormo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    Google Earth and aa route planner will be an excellent data source. I'm already getting excited about this year's first trip to the North, going up 26th or 27th.
    going up 27th so ill see you up there.
    and yes im starting to pack this weekend.
    Loxie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    Borgie?

many thanks guys , as i thought its up the A9 to Inverness then branching off, i like looking at scenery and I no it takes me 4hrs going the conventional route, so a couple of hours ontop is o.k especially if she buys me lunch at the scourie hotel.
    happy fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Strathglass View Post
    A835 from Conon Bridge to Ullapool every time... You can then explore the stunning west cost area up through Lochinver, Kinlochbervie, Scourie etc without adding that marathon leg onto the trip.
    Exactly as Strathglass said. Better road, better views and after Scourie the view down Strath Dionard is without exception. There are also plenty of places to stop for a photo opp. Fuel up in Ullapool and enjoy.

Euan
    Living with deep, full breaths is the way of the trout. Fish, it seems, are the ultimate teachers in breathing.
    RC Cone

Quote Originally Posted by bassfly View Post
    Borgie?
    depends on the river height, i can fish naver, borgie, strathy, thurso if I can get on.
    But there is much much more to fish as well including the kyles.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast