Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  27
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    There are 3, 2 rod rotating beats that rotate downwards; i.e. 2,1,3,2,1 etc. There is beat 4 above the falls that is fixed and is let in the summer with the rotating beats. There is the Ticket Water below beat 1 for three rods. Tickets are available from the bailiff, other lets through the current agent listed on the website. There are very few unlet weeks after March. The river is fly only all season and CCR before June, with a limited take of grilse allowed after 1st June.
    so is beat one the beat that starts at an below the bridge down to the association starter post?

Quote Originally Posted by speers View Post
    so is beat one the beat that starts at an below the bridge down to the association starter post?
    No beat 1 is the first beat above the association stretch.
    Roll on August and lots of rain.

It actually starts about half a mile above the road bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    It actually starts about half a mile above the road bridge.
    intresting so where does the association beat start.

intresting so where does the association beat start.
    It starts at the marker. The first pool is Maclean's, which looks really good but I've never caught in it. The ticket water can be very good, but it is restricted to 3 rods a day and they are not easy to get hold of when there are any fish about!

Thanks Loxie

Does that mean that in a week you'd get to fish each beat twice if you have rods in the rotation and then beat 4 is let separately?

Cheers,

Davey

Quote Originally Posted by Daveygc View Post
    Thanks Loxie

Does that mean that in a week you'd get to fish each beat twice if you have rods in the rotation and then beat 4 is let separately?

Cheers,

Davey
    Normally you are let a package. This might be 2 rotating beats, beat 4 and accommodation at the old manse, for instance or 1 rotating beat and 1 rod on the ticket water. Some weeks are let as the whole package of 3 rotating beats and beat 4 with accommodation. Ive done a week with 1 rotating beat and beat 4. We had two rods on the rotating beat and 2 on beat 4 so we alternated. By the end of the week we had all fished each rotating beat and had 3 days on beat 4. The bailliff is very good at the rota and each team is issued written instructions at the start of the week. Beat 4 is quite hard work involving a long walk over rough country to get to it. There are no trees or any real cover and the river is small and rocky up there. Fish cant run the falls untill the water warms up and it isnt usually let before June.

Many thanks, I'm fishing it for a few days in September but through the hotel so was just trying to figure out how it works. I've got the bailiffs number so will speak to him nearer the time to get the full lowdown and find out what's happening on the river.

Davey

Quote Originally Posted by Daveygc View Post
    Many thanks, I'm fishing it for a few days in September but through the hotel so was just trying to figure out how it works. I've got the bailiffs number so will speak to him nearer the time to get the full lowdown and find out what's happening on the river.

Davey
    The hotel has the use of one rotating beat in August and September. The bailliff will no doubt advise you on the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
    Its 50 on the Borgie until 1pm then change over to 60 at 2pm, unless your an HGV.

I've worked out there are two ways to achieve the best A9 to inverness time by:

Option one) re set your trip computer as you pass each camera, go whatever speed you want to overtake, but average 65 mph by the time you get to the next camera (unless on a dual carriage way where the cameras are not in operation). If your trip computer is accurate (check it against GPS) you will not get caught at 65, the regs are clear that you have to be doing the limit plus 10% for a fixed camera and the speed plus 10% plus 3mph for a hand held speed trap. So, for example, if a lorry is doing 48, go past at 70 if you want, slowdown to say 52 afterwards until your average is back down.

Option two) stop where the average cameras start, swap over with Mrs Dryfly who is a sensible level headed and relaxed driver and have a few hours kip. Wake up in Inverness refreshed and ready for the rally stage Inverness, Lairg, Laxford Bridge, Durness.

I take option B every time.
    Option 3- You have to know the road and fixed cameras well, but I was with a guy in an M5 who tucked right up the **** of an HGV as we approached the first camera. Once past he put his foot down until he got near the next camera where he tucked back behind a lorry. His theory was the camera couldn't read his front plate. Must work as he drives that route monthly, and never gets a fine.

Last time I drove through the A9 the air suspension on my car had stopped working and I kept getting a warning chime every time I went above 40mph........all the way home.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345