Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Northern Scottland Week 20/21

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Default Northern Scottland Week 20/21

Hello gents,

I will be travelling in Northern Scottland from 18.5 till 26.5 with my girlfriend.
    Luckily she allowed me to go fishing one or two days
    We are gonna start from Aberdeen airport straight to Iverness (first day), then cruising up north on the eastcoast and back on the west coast (within about a week)...that`s the plan so far.

I already fished a lot for Salmon, but never in Northern Scottland. My question is, and it would be really great if someone of you could help me, which river offers good chances during that time (for flyfishing).
    As mentioned, I only have the chance to pick one river or maybe two.

Would be really great if you could give me some advice where to go!

Cheers,
    Fab

...I hope that`s the right forum`s section for my post...please let me know if not.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The Thurso and stay at the Ulbster arms in Halkirk
    Paul White, zebraness and Loxie like this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The Brora and Helmsdale are not having a good start to the season this year compared to normal years but May can be a good month on the association beat on the Helmsdale. Just £26 for the day.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

The Thurso is a good bet. The issue you will have is that May is peak season and the rivers will be hard to access. The Naver association is another good bet if not booked up.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

guys, already a big Thanx for your advice. that helps a lot to start planning the trip. will try to find out for which river licences are still available during that period.

The Thurso: do you have any recommendations for specific beats (2-13), which are best and which shouldn't be the first choice when only having the chance to fish a single day ?? (just to know what to pick depending on the availability)

...of course I am still happy to get more info and options

Thanks to all of you!
    Last edited by gcrack; 19-04-2016 at 08:35 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by gcrack View Post
    guys, already a big Thanx for your advice. that helps a lot to start planning the trip. will try to find out for which river licences are still available during that period.

The Thurso: do you have any recommendations for specific beats (2-13), which are best and which shouldn't be the first choice when only having the chance to fish a single day ?? (just to know what to pick depending on the availability)

...of course I am still happy to get more info and options

Thanks to all of you!
    If you are just there for a single day any of the top beats from 13 - 8 if you can get onto that rotation

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Tippet321 View Post
    If you are just there for a single day any of the top beats from 13 - 8 if you can get onto that rotation
    Thanks Tippet321...let`s see what I can get?!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

quick update...Thurso is fully booked during that time, unfortunately. but i managed to get a ticket for Helmsdale and Naver (both on the "club/association" water)...let`s see how it goes there, maybe I`ll have some luck ;-)....now I will have to tie some flies for those rivers
    tmb likes this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by gcrack View Post
    quick update...Thurso is fully booked during that time, unfortunately. but i managed to get a ticket for Helmsdale and Naver (both on the "club/association" water)...let`s see how it goes there, maybe I`ll have some luck ;-)....now I will have to tie some flies for those rivers
    They are the two best rivers in the UK and that week is peak time for salmon so you should be in with a shout. Sadly if the weather is warm the fish tend to sail through the club beats to the very exclusive private beats above. Tight lines and do let us know how you get on.
    gcrack and zebraness like this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

okay, I am back from my roundtrip. I fished the Helmsdale and the Naver, each one day. Did not have any contact to a salmon but got some seatrouts.
    Helmsdale: low water, heavy rain and strong wind...not fun to cast. The club water his effected by the tide and you have to fish for running salmon...have seen a few fish going over the current but only a few and they did not stop at all. Naver: still pretty windy, but no rain...well, also low water. the club water has "no real" holding pools..so you are fishing for running fish as well. but at high tide, in the evening I have seen a lot of fish swimming uptream...you have seen the bow waves, very cool to watch...counted around 15-20 fish within 2 hours...there was a very narrow spot, around 2-3m wide, where you could watch them passing a very low water current..some nice sized salmon...but again, running very very fast and they did not like my fly ;-(

...that`s my quick report ;-)

Cheers
    woodcockandsewin and Piker20 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast