• 1 Post By Safranfoer
  • 1 Post By Big Ben
  • 1 Post By Skiptonian
  • 1 Post By badgercourt
  • 4 Post By simon grace
  • 5 Post By ptarmigan

Thread: World of difference

Default World of difference

I've been browsing through many pages here and have enjoyed reading and learning at bit about hunting opportunities in the UK. It's certainly different from what I'm accustomed to but not in a bad way. There seems to be lots of tradition and hunting seems to be a bit more formal there. Growing up in Maine I spent a lot of time hunting Ruffed Grouse and Whitetail Deer. I moved to Alaska in my late twenties to chase large fish and take advantage of the hunting available. Of course starting a family not long after moving here has kept me from many pursuits, I still find time to get out every fall.

My oldest went with me on his first moose hunt this year. It was an unsuccessful hunt from a game standpoint, but the time in the field with my son was special. I had started him (9 yrs old now) a couple of years ago with a 22lr. Last summer I moved him up to a .223 to get him accustomed to a centerfire. When he was comfortable with that I moved him up again, this time to an inherited 6.5x55. He is a natural and shoots them all quite well. The 6.5 is on the small size for our large moose, but I knew I would be right next to him at all times with my .300wm if need be. Here are a few pictures from the last couple of seasons. The hunts are all DIY hunts that only require a license and free over the counter tag. I'm lucky to also have an understanding and supportive wife that likes moose meat!

I like the lack of ceremony and tradition around hunting your way on, and I think my son would like you to adopt him, please. Great photos.
    ptarmigan likes this.

Lovely to hear of your father/son adventures. Some lovely pics as well of some amazing scenery.

We are fortunate to stay with some first nation friends on a reserve near Harrison Hot Springs every year. We started off as guests and are now very good friends. We enjoy their hospitality and they enjoy ours.

We have enjoyed plank cooked Spring Salmon, Elk, Moose and Bear all caught or shot by our hosts. Don travels way into the FN territories to ensure good clean meat. I must say I didnt know what to expect when trying Bear for the first time but that along with Moose meat are now firm favorites. Look forward to hearing more of your adventures!!
    ptarmigan likes this.
    FISH ON!!! FISH OFF!!!!

Great life style.
    ptarmigan likes this.

Great stuff thanks for posting
    ptarmigan likes this.

DRN

Thats a big beastie!

Great shot of your son looking out on the river. What an amazing place to grow up and hunt.

Cheers

Great pics, great story. So different to this over-populated part of the world. Almost has me wishing I was 26 again. Thanks for posting.

Thanks gentleman for the kind comments. Living here in Alaska has been great. I do wish I lived out of the city of Anchorage, but that's where the jobs are. At least the wilderness is very close. I do feel fortunate my boys enjoy spending time in the woods and on the water with me. That makes life much easier when asking my wife for a kitchen pass! If anyone is thinking about making a trip here feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
    If anyone is thinking about making a trip here feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have.
    How many spare bedrooms do you have??
    Piscator Non Solum Piscatur

I was thinking today again about how different things are here, even from most other States. I have no doubt some folks wouldn't be comfortable with some of the things my family enjoys and I respect that. We try to have fun though, with safety being the number one priority regardless of how we recreate. My wife and 10 yr old have been enjoying the shooting sports over the last year. I'm really looking forward to the future! I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Merry Christmas from Rudolph! (My 7 yr old was concerned Santa might be upset about this)

My wife and her friend enjoying a little New Years day target practice. It was a balmy -5*F at the remote cabin our friends have.

My wife really likes the Ruger 22/45 Lite.

My 10 yr old does as well.

He really loves mums new 9mm I bought her! He wants one for himself now.

I couldn't imagine growing up any other way.
    Doc, kramdrazzi, DRN and 2 others like this.