Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: River Ure 2016

Default River Ure 2016

Anyone interested in fishing the River Ure this summer should see the auction on EBay of a week's fishing and accommodation, which is being run to raise funds for the Ure Salmon Trust.

It's an excellent cause and an opportunity to secure some super fishing and accommodation at a bargain price.
    Michael
    Hidden Content

Please support the Ure Salmon Run Bike Challenge - donate via Hidden Content

Hi MCXfisher.
    I may have a look at the auction, also try the Bolton Hall beat this year when the site becomes active.
    Tight lines for 2016.
    Esk1.

When do salmon arrive at the Bolton Hall beat or that area? I realise that rainfall is the key factor in the Dales system like most other areas. I spent most of my youth fishing the Dales rivers for trout and grayling and thought I would never have the opportunity to catch a salmon in those waters! Maybe I won't but any information would be greatly appreciated.

Michael seems this ended on 5th March unless I have got something wrong?

Calvert

Quote Originally Posted by Tippet321 View Post
    Michael seems this ended on 5th March unless I have got something wrong?

Calvert
    Quite likely, I hadn't checked recently.
    Michael
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by bez View Post
    When do salmon arrive at the Bolton Hall beat or that area? I realise that rainfall is the key factor in the Dales system like most other areas. I spent most of my youth fishing the Dales rivers for trout and grayling and thought I would never have the opportunity to catch a salmon in those waters! Maybe I won't but any information would be greatly appreciated.
    You are absolutely correct that water is the vital ingredient. In a normal or wet spring there will be salmon spread throughout the system from Selby to Redmire by early April. However, the last 3 springs have been characterised by "blackthorn winter" conditions, dry and very cold, which kept most of the fish lower down. Let's hope that this year will revert to the long term average so everyone can get a shot at a springer.
    Michael
    Hidden Content

If you want to be in with a real chance of hooking a Ure Salmon then Sept/Oct are you best months.Like you said the river is very water dependant as it is a typical freestone river.It can go up 4' in an hour and go down almost as quick but given rain it can maintain a reasonable height for days and those would be the days where you would get your best chance of hooking a fish.
    Have a look at the UST website and the Bolton Estate website for fishing availability.

Home | Ure Salmon Trust
    The Bolton Estate - Fishing
    Piscator Non Solum Piscatur

Thanks for your info both of you. Will look out for a suitable venue including good food and accommodation. Look forward to any recommendations.

Thanks for your info both of you. Will look out for a suitable venue including good food and accommodation. Look forward to any recommendations.
    The Blue Lion Inn & Restaurant | Yorkshire Dales - I've never stayed there but I hear it's really nice. I've eaten there a few times and it is outstanding - properly good food - so I imagine the accommodation is equally good. It's not cheap though. They have their own decent beat and offer packages: The Blue Lion Inn & Restaurant | Wensleydale | Yorkshire Dales

The Bolton Arms|Redmire|Yorkshire Dales|Bed and Breakfast|Holidays|Vacations|Breaks|Walks - very good home-cooked pub grub, outstanding value, clean rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Safranfoer View Post
    The Blue Lion Inn and Restaurant | Yorkshire Dales - I've never stayed there but I hear it's really nice. I've eaten there a few times and it is outstanding - properly good food - so I imagine the accommodation is equally good. It's not cheap though. They have their own decent beat and offer packages: The Blue Lion Inn and Restaurant | Wensleydale | Yorkshire Dales
    I haven't been there for a few years, but the Blue Lion certainly used to be great. Funnily enough, I was talking about it a week or so ago, and got the impression that it was still good, although my informant said that their beat wasn't the most attractive - I got the impression it was a bit canal-like. Maybe local experts can comment?

The other pub I have very fond memories of is the Forester's Arms at Carlton in Coverdale. Again, it's been a few years and I know it's changed hands, but the menu still looks good, and it has good reviews on Tripadvisor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast