+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Leader length

Default Leader length

What is the best length of leader to use for salmon and what weight leader?
    Cheers, CK

Springer is online now Administrator

There must be dozens of different answers to this question depending on the river and the time of year you are fishing not to mention the length and rating of the rod you are using and the flies you are wanting to cast.

If you ask a more detailed question people will be more likely to answer.

The last professional opinion I had was 10' from the line or 6' if you are using a polyleader, minimum 15lb breaking strain.

Cheers

Andy
    Last edited by AndyJMac; 07-08-2009 at 06:15 PM.
    Confuschias - Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJMac View Post
    The last professional opinion I had was 10' from the line or 6' if you are using a polyleader, minimum 15lb breaking strain.

Cheers

Andy

I would be very interested to read more posts on this as i have been told different ... for example if i am fishing a floater with a fast sink poly i have been advised not to make the leader any longer than 3 feet long ... the reason given for this as with a longer leader the ploy will be hugging the bottom whilst the fly is somewhere higher up in the water behind it, thus rendering the use of the fast sink poly useless ...

Come on you guys with the experience ... help us out !

i usually just use the span of my arms for everything

Talking

Same as JP If you go deep nothing longer than 3feet or the fly will swim higher than the sinking line. The strength is 15lb+ for this because going deep usually means bigger fish. On the surface you can use as long a leader as you want but it is sugested 8-10 feet is enough with 8-12lb test. Some people use five feet of 15lb all the time on every line. Really its what ever you feel will work for you in the prevailing conditions.

Springer is online now Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Feale Ranger View Post
    nothing longer than 3 feet or the fly will swim higher than the sinking line.
    Not if the weight/sink rate of the fly is similar/greater to that of the sinking tip/line. You could easily fish a leader twice as long if not more providing it is able to turn over your fly

because going deep usually means bigger fish.
    Why is that then? I have caught fish of all sizes when fishing deep.

On the surface you can use as long a leader as you want but it is sugested 8-10 feet is enough with 8-12lb test.
    Do only the small fish rise to a fly on your river while the big ones stay on the bottom?

The braking strain of my leader is based on the weight of fly that I am casting and also the size of the fish I expect to encounter

Some people use five feet of 15lb all the time on every line.
    I dont know any who fish this simplisticly

If I'm using full sinking shooting heads and big flies I'll use no more than four or five feet but with a floater or intermediate I'll use 10-12 feet, provided I'm going to be casting far enough to be present the fly correctly. On small Irish spate rivers I'll sometimes be fishing pools only 10-15ft wide using a short line and may trim the leader back by a few feet to ensure proper turnover.

A general rule i use is 1.5 times the length of the rod. This includes the polyleader.

Country Kid

See what you have started! There is no one right answer on length and weight of leader.

However, it would be fair to say that the deeper your fly fishes, the shorter and heavier your leader can be.

Similarly, the closer to the surface your fly fishes, the longer and lighter your leader can be - up to the point where takes might result in breaks or the cast is not turning over.

And that is a matter of judgement. For example, you may get takes on 8lb leader but the fish breaks this. Conversely, you may get no takes on a15lb leader.

Being broken by a fish due to a leader that is too light is a tragedy but happens. I think that it is hard to go wrong sticking to 15lb or a bit heavier for sinking lines and 10, 12 or 15lb max for flies on a floating line. It gets worse when you add in Intermediate lines/tips!

After all, a guy on the Teith landed a 42lb fish a couple of years ago on a 12lb leader

tweedbunnet
    Last edited by tweedbunnet; 10-08-2009 at 01:20 PM.